Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitted breasts!!

(58 Posts)
Witzend Tue 12-Feb-19 14:05:35

This morning I emailed my local hospital to ask whether they wanted any twiddle muffs, since I'd just about finished my first.
They replied so quickly, saying yes please, and would I also like to make any knitted breasts, for community midwives to use when talking about breastfeeding! Because they are 'desperately low'.
A pattern was included.
Colour of yarn not important so purple with a green nipple is fine. However I have a big ball of not very nice pink to use up, so I'm glad it won't be wasted.

grannysue05 Tue 12-Feb-19 14:27:16

Wizend grin
I love this story.
However, what on earth are 'twiddle muffs' ?

Elegran Tue 12-Feb-19 14:52:44

I thought this was going to be about the knitted knockers (falsies) for mastectomy patients that are made by volunteers and suppled free of charge. www.kkukciowix.com/

It is good to hear of yet another use for surplus knitting wool!

Jalima1108 Tue 12-Feb-19 14:59:46

Someone asked our group to 'knit some knockers' Elegran but I can think of nothing worse, quite honestly. Perhaps it was just me!

silverlining48 Tue 12-Feb-19 15:17:59

Twiddle muffs are knitted and look like cylindrical winter type muffs and are used to occupy people with dementia who like the feel of something woolly with buttons ribbons and other decorative items attached (safely).
They are soothing and relaxing and help with anxiety.

Witzend Tue 12-Feb-19 15:20:55

Grannysue05, they're knitted muffs for people with dementia, to keep their hands busy and help to calm restlessness. They're very simple to make - you add various bits that fingers can fiddle with - obviously nothing sharp, and all stitched on very firmly.
Very good for using up odds and ends of yarn. Very quick on big needles, too..
I wish I'd known about them when my poor mother was still alive.

Here's the one I've just made.

silverlining48 Tue 12-Feb-19 15:33:54

That’s lovely and bright witzend, wish I had known about them earlier too.

morethan2 Tue 12-Feb-19 15:34:15

Oh the memories. I used the knitted breasts when I worked. They came in different colours and sizes. Flat, inverted nipples, big nipples, little nipples. They were really useful and made demonstrating easy and fun. It’s a really useful thing to do and I’m sure the the people who use them will be as grateful as I was. Keep up the good work.

Elegran Tue 12-Feb-19 15:34:50

Jalima Have you looked at the website? The knockers look quite nice, actually. Made of soft fine washable yarn in all kinds of colours. The volunteers knit them (most of them on four needles) and send them to a central address, (so while you are knitting they don't look like knockers) where more volunteers stuff them lightly and sew them up. The responses from the ladies who receive them are full of praise - soft and comfortable, and light to wear, unlike standard issue ones. If I were more into knitting I would have joined them, but I take so long I would not have been very productive.

EllanVannin Tue 12-Feb-19 16:23:53

Still plenty of other ideas for odd balls of left over wool, doll size clothes/hats for the prem. babies too. Maternity hospitals are always glad of them.

grandMattie Wed 13-Feb-19 09:54:37

You are such lovely people; making all this stuff for the hospitals. Isn't it sad that they are no provided ....

Amry64 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:14:08

We were asked to make some in our local knitting group by a local midwife years ago. It was good fun!

marpau Wed 13-Feb-19 10:20:31

DH loves to tell friends I twiddle my muffs while he watches football on TV. They are very quick to knit and great for using up leftover wool and odd buttons bows etc which I have collected over the years. I like to think I am saving the NHS a few pennies. I also made some incubator covers as my DGS used these a lot whilst in NICU I was shocked to discover these cost over £100 from NHS supplier. This is a bugbear of mine I wish large public bodies would ask someone who has raised a family on limited means to oversee their spending budgets?

cathyd Wed 13-Feb-19 10:25:15

I make twizzle mats as well as muffs. My local hospital asked for them as it was easier for some patients just to have them on their lap to fidget with. Just make sure ends are secure and maybe put a fringe round the outside, another texture to feel and play with. My sister makes them with material so if you can sew you are still able to donate even if you can't knit.

NotStressedOut Wed 13-Feb-19 10:26:06

My Mum has dementia and I think they would have have been wonderful for her and the other residents in the home she was in. My neighbour also had dementia and has gone in to the same home my mum was in. When I visit her I notice she likes to tough different services so I think they would be great for her too. I used to knit back in the 70/80’s so I would love to knit some for the home to give to other residents in the home. I just need a pattern, where could I get one?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:28:49

It's a great idea. I don't want to put the mockers on this but am I alone in hating the word 'knockers'?
Of course it's funny - we used to have a shop in town which sold 'door furniture' called Knobs and Knockers which always made us laugh.

nipsmum Wed 13-Feb-19 10:29:14

I have knitted Twiddlemuffs for the school where my daughter works. The children with additional need often use them. I've done many toys and things for charity but never breasts yet.If you are interested in knitting for charity have a look at Charity Knit Knuts page on Facebook.

sunseeker Wed 13-Feb-19 10:35:14

Any ideas where I can donate wool? I started knitting a jumper 3 years ago but gave up when it got to the decreasing!! I have unpicked what I knitted and have several balls of unused wool which I would love to donate to an organisation that could use it for this sort of thing

NotStressedOut Wed 13-Feb-19 10:35:19

I found a pattern from Oxford University NHS dementia care on the inernet for twiddle muffs.

sarahcyn Wed 13-Feb-19 10:46:26

Some of my NCT colleagues do knitted uteruses as well. There is something about a knitted item which makes it less scary.

maxdecatt Wed 13-Feb-19 10:50:54

I asked my mother-in-law, "If I provide about three lbs of wool, will you knit me a willie-warmer?
He reply was a bit deflating.

Dollyis50 Wed 13-Feb-19 11:00:07

Yes we are very grateful for these lovelies when demonstrating smile

Dianic Wed 13-Feb-19 11:10:03

Found this PDF file just now...

www.knitforpeace.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Twiddlemuff-Pattern.pdf

Brilliant idea. I might have a go at crochet-ing some mats.

GoldenAge Wed 13-Feb-19 11:28:00

Well done Witzend - my mum has two twiddle muffs - one I paid a fortune for, and another I bought from a lady on ebay who knits these things with love and affection and it cost peanuts in comparison with the manufactured one. The concept is great, and I love the idea of the knitted breasts as well.

Aepgirl Wed 13-Feb-19 11:32:51

My daughter is a breastfeeding counsellor (unpaid) and uses a knitted ‘boob’ for demonstrating breastfeeding techniques. It always puts new mums at ease because it is such a fun piece of equipment.