Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Kitting pattern - baby jumper

(54 Posts)
puzzledgiraffe Tue 03-Sep-19 22:21:53

I am really struggling to find a pattern for a baby jumper. There seem to be hundreds for cardigans but I can't find what I am after in jumpers. I want something fairly plain, because the wool is multicoloured, so mainly stocking stitch and the most important thing is the neck. I am after the sort of neckline where you fold it over onto the inside, so the neckband is double thickness as I think this gives a much neater finish. I'm sure my children had jumpers like this, but they were probably knitted by my mother in law who was a prolific knitter. The patterns were probably originally for her own babies, so 1960's vintage. I think I have done this sort of neck line myself at some point, but I haven't knitted much for 25 years, but since the arrival of my granddaughter at Easter I have started knitting again. I seem to think the neck band has a row of holes where the fold goes (Fold along the dotted line!) but I might be imagining this. If I could find the neckline on any jumper pattern I could probably adapt a pattern with a different neck. They just look so unfinished to me when the neck edge is just cast off. Can anyone help please?

GreenGran78 Thu 05-Sep-19 13:41:33

When my children were young I used to buy old hand-knits from jumble sales. I unpicked them and washed the wool, then used it to make ‘new’ sweaters and cardigans. Many a much-admired outfit had cost me only coppers to make. Sadly, jumble sales are a thing of the past, and there are few hand-knits to be seen at carboot sales and charity shops.
I gave my collection of patterns away a few years ago, in a rash moment, and have regretted it since the new and unexpected arrival of another grandchild, nearly three years ago.
My little Aussie granddaughter loves the clothes that I knit for her. It can get quite chilly there, in the winter. It often costs more to post them than the amount I paid for the wool!
I have been trying to find a sweater or cardigan pattern with kangaroos or koalas, without success. I don’t suppose anyone has one, for age 3-4? Llamas would also be good, as Daddy is Peruvian!

Farmor15 Fri 06-Sep-19 20:30:55

GreenGran - www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/lindas-knitting-designs-on-ravelry/patterns?page=1
There are a lot of sweaters with various animal motifs on Linda’s page on Ravelry, though I couldn’t find kangaroo, koala or llama. There is a cost to download pattern as pdf. I made horse head and tractor for my grandchildren and was pleased with results.

MamaCaz Mon 16-Sep-19 14:06:13

puzzledgiraffe

I have just bought some booklets of baby patterns in a charity shop this weekend, and I noticed that a lot of them had the doubled-over knecks.
The stitches were to be picked up and knitted around the neck, just as you would for most neckbands, then simply ribbed as per the pattern for 4cm (baby sizes) or 5cm (children's sizes).
At that length, cast off loosely, double the neckline over and sew in place.

Unfortunately, all the jumpers in the booklet are worked in DK, not 4 ply like you wanted, or I could have copied some for you!