Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crochet

(85 Posts)
Poppy2 Fri 13-Sep-19 16:00:23

I am busy making crochet hexagons to make a throw. I get easily influenced by my daughters who seem to think it’s a waste of time , am I being to sensitive .

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:01:39

Goodness me...??
Easily influenced by your daughters?
Why on earth....

Listen, take a tip from me. Tell them to MTOB in future and just laugh at their suggestions.
Whatever next...??

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:01:54

Take no notice of your daughters' remarks. What a shame that they feel that making an effort to create something is a waste of time - it most certainly isn't. What you create will, I'm sure, be beautiful and unique. They may change their tune when they see the finished product.

No creative hobby is a waste of time.

Gillyknits your little bear is adorable.

NanaPlenty Sat 14-Sep-19 11:05:39

It’s good for all sorts - do what you want to do and don’t let other people
affect your thinking x

TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:09:57

I think it’s a great idea. What’s it got to do with her anyway what you do with your time, keep up the good I’m envious I should learn to do it,

Kacee Sat 14-Sep-19 11:39:24

Sorry, I have spelt amigurumi not once but twice.

Millie22 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:41:07

Nonsense. Knitting and crochet are so rewarding. My mum knits for premature babies and really enjoys it.

CatterySlave1 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:44:19

As Keeper1 said, lots of hospitals pop a hat on newborns to reduce heat loss and certainly those in need of special care. Why not contact your local hospital when you’ve finished your throw and see if that’s a possible new project? And tell your daughter it’s trendy to knit and sew. Maybe teach your grandchildren so they can carry on?

grandMattie Sat 14-Sep-19 11:46:50

Amongst other things I’ve made this year are 3 crochet blankets. I give most of them away. Stops me stuffing my face when watching TV! I knit as well... don’t listen to your DD, it may be a waste of time. So???

Laurely Sat 14-Sep-19 11:48:51

I think I am missing something. What are 'throws'? What do you do with them?

gillyknits Sat 14-Sep-19 11:50:28

You can make amazing things with Amigurami once you get the hang of it. I would recommend Amigurami Today and Pinterest for free patterns!

nipsmum Sat 14-Sep-19 12:06:22

Tell your daughter that your crochet is part of your therapy. It keeps your brain and hands occupied and helps to stave off anxiety and depression. I also knit cook and bake. Not for myself always,but for charity. I spent quite a bit if time this week baking cakes for my granddaughters brownie camp this weekend. Also the staff in the place my daughter works love a little bit of home baking with their tea and coffee at break times.

kathyd Sat 14-Sep-19 12:06:49

I knit, crochet and sew. Always something to do!

Marilla Sat 14-Sep-19 12:18:47

I think you have found the answer you were looking for Poppy. Crochet and knitting are lovely, creative activities. They are also great for reducing stress and anxiety as others have said.
Kathyd, your crochet work is wonderful!

Sara65 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:36:27

Crocheting keeps me awake if I’m trying to watch something on television!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 14-Sep-19 12:39:55

Poppy2. YES. Your interests? your choice.

GrannySquare Sat 14-Sep-19 12:47:26

Wow! @kathyd.
That’s a fabulous blanket.
Great colours.
Which yarn did you use?

Callistemon Sat 14-Sep-19 12:53:55

I've just taught myself to crochet from YouTube and am sitting next to DD who has my first attempt at a small blanket over her knees to keep her warm.

Do what you want to do!

EthelJ Sat 14-Sep-19 13:17:52

Of course it's not a waste of time. You are doing something creative that you enjoy. And will have something beautiful when you have finished. Spending lots of time on social media is a waste of time (I waste too much time that way!) but making some think isn't.

Aepgirl Sat 14-Sep-19 13:55:36

Why do your daughters do this to you? They should surely be pleased that you have an interest and should encourage you.

Auntieflo Sat 14-Sep-19 13:57:39

I made this blanket/ throw 5 years ago, and DGS evidently found it comfy.
This summer, I crocheted a bag from left overs, and it has been very useful.
Carry on crocheting and enjoy yourself, no matter what anyone else thinks.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:31:59

Well, at least you know who not to give crocheted presents to, don't you.

For goodness sake, tell your daughters to mind their own business. You like crotcheting, so you do it. I play with my dolls' house.

Hm999 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:49:19

As a comparatively new crocheter, I urge anyone to crochet them together (at least in strips) as you go; having 200 hexagons to put together does not encourage completed tasks! And using random old scraps of different yarns (different ply wools with acrylics) can lead to washing disasters, a real shame after all those hours of love.
Local retirement homes and hospices will always be pleased to receive donations of shawls, lap blankets and twiddle blankets and muffs.
For those of you who long to learn crocheting (I was that woman a few years ago, dear reader), I learned at local craft shop, but local librares have crochet groups who always welcome new unskilled members - you only need chain, doubles and trebles! And YouTube is great for learning to crochet.

Stella14 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:49:58

Keep going. I don’t do it myself and as a result, I have just bought a blanket made of crocheted squares, off ebay because they are so lovely. I’m sure you could sell them smile

Nellie098 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:50:12

Just wondering what your daughters do to fill their time. Are they always on their phones, binge on Netflix or do they participate in outside activities to keep healthy?
I learnt to crochet about 2.5 years ago at a weekly crochet class and still attend for the social aspect. It gets very noisy and I only take something with that doesn't require a lot of concentration. I prefer to do small things and am currently making a little snowman head which I found on Repeat Crafter Me although I have made a mouse, baskets, crochet hook rolls, jumpers and lots of other things. It's never a waste of time, especially if you know it will go to a charity and help someone.

sarahanew Sat 14-Sep-19 16:15:54

Spending time relaxing pursuing your hobbies are never a waste of time, they are good for your wellbeing.if you have the time and the equipment and the inclination, then just ignore your daughters