Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crochet

(84 Posts)
Poppy2 Fri 13-Sep-19 16:00:23

I am busy making crochet hexagons to make a throw. I get easily influenced by my daughters who seem to think it’s a waste of time , am I being to sensitive .

JackyB Fri 13-Sep-19 16:03:34

I should keep at it. Never mind the daughters. It calms the nerves and uses up leftover wool. What's not to like?

Oopsminty Fri 13-Sep-19 16:04:12

It certainly isn't a waste of time. It's up to you to do what you want with your time. So carry on and crochet!

Lilypops Fri 13-Sep-19 16:09:57

It's up to you what you do with your spare time and wool !!!
Would your daughters rather you were riding round town on a motorbike, fallin over drunk in the park !!!
Crochet/knitting is useful and calming , I have made a few throws for babies and adults , all have been received gratefully which makes me feel happy and useful , You carry on and enjoy your hobbies x

MiniMoon Fri 13-Sep-19 16:17:33

I love to crochet. I've made many throws, blankets, hats, gloves and scarves over the years. It's a lovely hobby. Take no notice of your datghters. Perhaps they are jealous of your ability, or the time you have to spend crocheting.

travelsafar Fri 13-Sep-19 16:58:37

Tell your daughter it is good for the brain especially if following a pattern. It lowers BP too if you are left to get on with it and no one is bothering you by saying it is a waste of time!!!!

B9exchange Fri 13-Sep-19 17:05:08

What would they rather you did with your time? grin

Surely you are allowed to decide how to spend your leisure time, and if it is something you enjoy doing, and produces a beautiful item at the end, how can that possibly be a waste of time? Emjoy it, and please can we see the finished result?

polnan Sat 14-Sep-19 09:42:18

wish I could crochet, keep at it, good for the brain..

grannie62 Sat 14-Sep-19 09:46:31

Knitting, sewing, crochet etc are very calming and used to be, for women, the main way of keeping "nerves" under control before there was medication available. Works wonders to stop anxiety and you have something useful at the end.

It's just unfortunate that the materials cost a fortune now, as opposed to when I was a girl and there were lots of textile mills in the UK. Then you could buy wools and fabric for next to nothing.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Sep-19 09:50:42

MY daughter has recently taken up crochet and is making hexagonal pieces whilst she waits for her children at activities. She says it fulfils a creative need.
She likes it as she can do it whilst she chats to other parents and doesn't need to lug huge projects about.
Like us, our adult children are all different Poppy2

polnan - she taught herself from a YouTube video. You could do the same and it's not expensive to get started ( unless you choose really expensive yarn).

Stansgran Sat 14-Sep-19 09:53:22

Good for the brain and blood pressure. There's a collection of blogs I follow called Bloglovin' which has wonderful crochet patterns as well as quilting and card making . And they all seem to be young women posting blogs so perhaps the daughters are behind the times!

aggie Sat 14-Sep-19 09:55:53

I love to crochet and am doing my 4th throw since I started again in June , my grand children love them and myAC have put in orders smile

snowyboots Sat 14-Sep-19 09:59:54

Keep going, I am part way through making a throw from crochet squares, I started it last winter and enjoy doing it during the winter evenings, unlike knitting I can watch tv at the same time. There is nothing nicer than when the item is finished and it makes me smile. I also have a couple of of crochet blankets that the cats have claimed too.

Flossieturner Sat 14-Sep-19 10:00:51

I find knitting and crochet is so good for my mental health. It stops me worrying and I have a sense of achievement and something to enjoy at the end of it. Do you have the instructions for the hexagon.i would love to have a go.

gillyknits Sat 14-Sep-19 10:05:16

I don’t know why knitting and crochet are still so associated with older ladies. Lots of younger people are taking it up, especially Amigurami crochet like this bear I made.

Greciangirl Sat 14-Sep-19 10:12:35

I wish I could crochet. I just can’t get the hang of it.

I can knit just plain or pearl stitches but a knitting pattern looks like a foreign language to me.

Theoddbird Sat 14-Sep-19 10:12:39

Keep at it. Tell her to go learn how to....politely of course.

trisher Sat 14-Sep-19 10:13:04

I've still got crochet blankets my gran made and she died almost 30 years ago. I do like crocheting but the joining together of the squares always takes me ages.

jenni123 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:18:23

I live in sheltered housing and several of the residents have started a 'Knit and Natter' group. they knit and crochet items for charity. Several small blankets for prem babies at the hospital, larger blankets with different designs in the middle, for people with dementia in care homes, so they can recognise their own beds. 'Twiddle bags'?? these are also for dementia patients, they are like small bags but attached (firmly) are things like little bells, buttons, charms so they can touch these items to keep hands occupied. I think now they are doing beany hats to send to Syria.

Parsley3 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:20:24

I have always knitted and have recently started to crochet as it is gentler on my thumb joints. I have treated myself to a set of wooden crochet hooks in a swanky case. Currently crocheting a bun cover for my granddaughter’s hair. Am off to Google Amigurami crochet as I don’t know about this.

Keeper1 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:25:39

What about the premature baby units they they need little hats and blankets?

burnel Sat 14-Sep-19 10:31:23

Its your hobby. Younger generation are a very disposable generation nothing has much value just go buy another one attitude the way of the world. Carry on with your hand crafting it will be beautiful

Gingergirl Sat 14-Sep-19 10:36:22

Sorry but your daughter is mistaken, and there are plenty of young people....maybe around her age...that are discovering hand crafts like this, as they are having a resurgence. I weave and do other crafts and my family are impressed...saying I should sell what I make. Keep going. You are more ‘on trend’ than you realise!?

Kacee Sat 14-Sep-19 10:39:47

Never heard of arugarami before so I googled it.
There is an arugarami doll online for sale at £83......off to look for crochet needles and YouTube grin

Sara65 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:41:10

My daughter and I both crochet, my house if full of throws, I’m just finishing a really big chunky one for our super kingside bed, and already thinking ahead to the next one, in my opinion, you can never have too many throws!