Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

More crochet

(10 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 03-Nov-19 20:24:46

One of my daughters taught herself to crochet from You Tube a couple of years ago. She now makes items of astounding complexity and beauty including blankets, clothes and a uterus, with Fallopian tubes and ovaries (she’s a midwife)
Last night I asked her to make me a woolly hat. Early this morning she brought it round, finished, done in a very fancy pattern.
I’ve tried to crochet and just can’t.

crystaltipps Sun 03-Nov-19 20:29:33

My granny taught me to crochet ( granny squares) and it’s a skill I have passed on, and hope to continue to do so. You only basically have to learn one stitch and all the others are a variation, get your daughter to teach you!

etheltbags1 Sun 03-Nov-19 21:08:56

I learned to crotchet from my mother and have been doing it for 40 odd years. I make blankets, cushions etc. I find clothes a bit complicated

Callistemon Sun 03-Nov-19 22:09:09

watermeadow I always said I couldn't crochet but have taught myself a basic stitch from watching YouTube and am on the way to completing another blanket.
(not without a couple of disasters!)

MiniMoon Sun 03-Nov-19 22:38:01

I learnt to crochet because I don't like knitting.

Recently I taught myself how to do Tunisian crochet and I'm really enjoying making hats, gloves and mittens.

At the moment I'm making 32 Elf ears for a friend who is making 16 Elf hats as a Christmas project. So far I've completed 6.

AllotmentLil Sun 03-Nov-19 22:52:10

I love the thought of all those elf ears MiniMoon!

Chardy Mon 04-Nov-19 19:03:55

Watermeadow Try YouTube Bella Coco HOW TO CROCHET FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS | EPISODE ONE

MiniMoon Mon 04-Nov-19 19:28:34

You could also try the crochet crowd (Mikey is fun), or crochet kim, both on YouTube.
I've learnt a lot from both of them.

Callistemon Mon 04-Nov-19 19:36:26

Chardy I like Bella Coco because she is young and made me feel that crocheting is not just for old grannies!

I used her link to make a scalloped edge to 'granny blankets' which adds a nice finish.

Chardy Mon 04-Nov-19 20:10:37

Look for local groups! There are lots of people out there who will help you to learn.