Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pinterest, am I being thick here?

(41 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 17-Nov-19 12:49:34

Ladies does anyone fully understand this Pinterest site with lots of lovely knitting and crochet items? The illustration is there but when you click in I don't understand how to actually get the pattern. Some have said you have to pay for but the others sometimes have comments "How do I get this pattern?" Miserable winter days now and would do some knitting and just recently found this site so new to it. Any help would be much appreciated. Do anyone else use this site with success?

CanadianGran Sat 23-Nov-19 14:48:44

Usually under the photo will be a link to 'visit' the original site that posted the picture. That should bring you to a website outside of pinterest.

I love pinterest, and have several boards for inspiration.

Ravelry is the best site for knitting patterns; plus you get to see everyone's version of the same pattern.

MaggieTulliver Sat 23-Nov-19 15:00:00

I love Pinterest. I have several boards that reflect my love of art, interiors, nature etc. It provides inspiration and I like looking through my boards to see what I might have saved some time ago. Like others I can spend hours just scrolling through everything.

loopylou Sat 23-Nov-19 16:52:55

I have a number of boards on Pinterest but then fail to revisit them ☹️
I quite like Ravelry for knitting patterns, free and paid for; I can usually find what I need on there.

ayse Sat 23-Nov-19 16:58:44

I love Pinterest as it’s great for ideas for all sorts of crafts. By going to the original website, I found out how to make glitter paint. A great way of using up glitter for the grandchildren. I’ve saved all sorts of stuff. As others have said it provides inspiration and a way in to new crafts.

craftergran Wed 27-Nov-19 07:59:23

Another Pinterest fan here. If I am looking for inspiration for a craft, decor ideas or for something to cook, it's my first go-to.

You can also create your own pins if you are trying to sell something online.

Just recently made a Christmas Pinterest Board because my son asked me to, the idea being to pin some things I might like for Christmas. (some pretty socks pinned so far)

Sillygrandma5GK Thu 28-Nov-19 07:18:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:30:47

Pinterest is a b** nuisance! I have "joined" by sending my e-mail address a million times, but still can never access anything on the site.

I am beginning to wonder if it only works in the US!

Winniewit Fri 27-Dec-19 02:20:46

I like Pinterest and have several boards on there were I save sewing things etc. It frustrates me that I can never find out how to make these things.

NanaandGrampy Fri 27-Dec-19 09:26:57

My daughters and I share boards for things like the children’s birthdays or Christmas so we can share ideas , gift suggestions or decor ideas or recipes .

Urmstongran Fri 27-Dec-19 09:46:11

Perhaps use Pinterest but don’t use glitter anymore?

Glitter is a microplastic, so it's hard to get rid of and can be hazardous to marine life and the environment.

?

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 27-Dec-19 10:17:28

I like Pinterest. I have got lots of ideas for garden, home and my current interest (wood turning) from it. Think of it as a photo scrap book.

Try this site for knitting. Excellent sales and offers always on.
www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/

oldgimmer1 Fri 27-Dec-19 10:26:31

I like Pinterest for interior design ideas mainly but it's increasingly becoming full of ads.

I also like Etsy - have you tried that one?

I'm also loving the thought of Pee Interest - I'd spend all day on that sitetchgrin

Shelmiss Fri 27-Dec-19 13:48:14

I heavily used Pinterest when I was getting married nearly 10 years ago, just for images of how I wanted flowers to look, dresses etc etc. Since then I have stopped using it, because like anything else that becomes too big, it started to become flooded with, to my mind, complete rubbish.

I now use Instagram, in fact I got most of my interior design ideas for my new home from there. The difference between that and Pinterest is that it’s very easy to find out where certain items are from on Instagram, wallpapers, tiles etc etc but with Pinterest it’s nigh on impossible to do so.

Stansgran Fri 27-Dec-19 14:24:37

I havethe app but I also find that they email you daily with things of interest to you. When my dgd was little she loved pinning pictures of cute baby animals, tiaras and pink ball Gowns! It certainly occupied her. I sew and find it brilliant for ideas. It is also helpful to record places we've visited as we often have that conversation of where was that place we stopped at on the road to....

Rosiebee Sat 28-Dec-19 10:14:38

Yarnspirations is another good site for patterns, paid for and free. I love Pinterest. When we were going to New York, I put it into the search bar and lots of stuff came up about where to go, eat, what to see etc.