Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Sewing Advice Please Help

(34 Posts)
ananimous Wed 04-Dec-19 18:57:42

Could I please have suggestions of what would be a good 1st sewing pattern project for a learner?
I'm getting a new sewing machine for xmas (so, also, recommend away if you love your machine) but have never sewn anything before, and would like an easyish beginner's project.
I may also take classes later on, we'll see.
Thankyou in advance - it's a bit of a hectic night here, so I may pop back much later on if I can. smile

Flossieturner Thu 05-Dec-19 17:47:55

I would make some patchwork bags. There is lots of help on the internet, the Missouri Quilt company does excellent tutorials. Don’t buy the quilting packs, as they are expensive and too good quality for a beginner. If you have old sheets or duvet covers they are a good start. Or buy some cheap,material from the market.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-Dec-19 17:54:53

I’d love to sew clothes for myself, but what puts me off when reading advise etc. It is recommended that I get a tailors dummy and alter the pattern after measuring myself everywhere. Does seem a lot of phaff.

ayse Thu 05-Dec-19 18:24:00

My first thing was a simple shift dress. After that Mum taught me to sew, sometimes successfully other times not so good. Later on, I had to sew because fabric was cheaper than buying the current fashion.

My daughter learned to sew recently. She started off by making a small quilt with squares of old fabric to learn to sew in a straight line. She went on to buy some fat quarters and a book about making things from them. The Works is a good place to look for this sort of book and they can be collected or even posted.

After all these years, I’m thinking of buying a dummy so the ideas floating round in my head for remodelling some clothes can happen

Just relax and enjoy.

ayse Thu 05-Dec-19 18:25:40

Old clothes from friends and relatives could be a source I’d free fabrics whilst you get the hang of it.

ananimous Thu 05-Dec-19 18:38:29

Wow great responses! Thankyoooooou so much **smiling and waving You are awesome!

ayse Thu 05-Dec-19 18:48:52

There are also some great books out there. The Complete Sewing Guide was one. It tells you almost everything and is like an encyclopaedia, with pictures. I tend to prefer books to the net as you don’t loose the info and the links don’t break

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Dec-19 15:28:36

Pfaff have models that have an automatic needle threader, which is a great help! Mine is a smarter by Pfaff 140 s.

M0nica Mon 09-Dec-19 21:12:43

I am another Janome fan. They too come with needle threaders.