Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

11 year old GD with new sewing machine

(35 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Thu 26-Dec-19 16:09:51

I want to put together a kit to move her on a little to the next stage after scrunchies - any ideas?

mcem Tue 11-Feb-20 17:39:00

Very topical! My DGD was given a simple brother sewing machine a few weeks ago. So far she has made 2 quilts for the dolls of friends. Slightly wobbly straight seams! About to start on patchwork and plans to make a cushion cover for mum's birthday.

mcem Tue 11-Feb-20 17:43:26

Chapter 2
DGD is 9 and took the ironing seriously too.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 18:13:16

I have a new sewing machine!!
Hurray
However, it took me 30 minutes to work out how to thread it and wind the bobbin.

Wind the bobbin up? It was me who was wound up, it seems so much more complicated than my old machine.
And I seem to have completely lost the knack with curtains!
Please may borrow your DGD, mcem.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 18:14:24

I may try scrunchies next - surely I can manage that?

Welshwife Tue 11-Feb-20 18:41:11

She could also maybe learn how to do different types of seams - flat - run and fell - enclosed etc. I can remember I learned to do these (by hand) when I was about 11.
I also used to adapt clothes to my fancy - I learned valuable lessons there too.

Sussexborn Tue 11-Feb-20 18:50:42

I bought a sewing machine a few years ago but haven’t really used it very much. Will have to follow up on some of these ideas.

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:56:20

I second the patchwork idea. I used to make little squares from spare bits of material, even recycled clothes, then stuff and stitch them together. I made cushion cases, little bags and pram quilts from them.

midgey Tue 11-Feb-20 18:59:47

Sometimes Aldi and/or Lidl have various kits in the middle aisle. The boxes are usually massive but the kits inside much lighter!

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 19:18:39

theidearoom.net/simple-sewing-projects-kids/

I don't know if that link will work