Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Can any of your children or grandchildren knit?

(53 Posts)
Daddima Fri 27-Dec-19 18:53:24

The sewing machine thread made me realise that neither of my granddaughters or indeed any of my sons/ grandsons can knit. In my day, knitting was taught in school ( albeit only to girls!), though my granny had already taught my cousin and me to knit.

CraftyGranny Sat 02-May-20 13:34:42

I have three boys who, when young, were never interested in hand knitting, although I would leave them to do straight rows on my knitting machine. Does that count?

Two of my DGDs can knit, I used to sit them on my knee to start with, so they could watch me knit slowly, then let them do some. They got there quite quickly. One of them now (16) can knit, crochet and sew, she does this between revision for GCSE ! She is very enthusiatic to learn new crafts.

My DM taught me to knit when I was young but she could never crochet. My DGM taught me to crochet but she didn't knit although she did lacemaking.

My DM and DA were machinists (or is it seamstresses) so my sisters and I were able to use the machines and get help too.

I don't know about you but when my GC get to about 8 years old, they are not very keen on granny knitting for them, they much prefer shop bought clothes.

Which reminds me, when my DSs were in Junior School, one asked me if we were very poor, I asked why, and was told that one of the kids at school had said we must be poor because your mum makes your clothes!

Judy54 Sat 02-May-20 14:23:10

No I am not a knitter myself. My excuse is that being left handed made it difficult to learn. In truth it is because knitting, sewing and any sort of craft work hold no interest for me whatsoever. I have the greatest admiration for those who can but it is just not my cup of tea!