Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Need to be making something!

(41 Posts)
Witzend Mon 24-Feb-20 12:24:04

After my mammoth knitathon before Christmas (massive Advent calendar and Nativity set) I’m at a bit of a loss now. Can’t knit for Gdcs - the other granny is much better at jumpers etc. than me, and makes a lot for them.
I’m no good at fancy or complicated patterns, and neither dh nor I need jumpers.

I’ve made a number of dementia twiddle muffs in the past, but a bit fed up with them now.

The other day I made these 50 cm. cushions for a dd, for 2 hard chairs - as she said herself, current cushions were very cheap and now bordering on manky.
I used leftover curtain material I’ve had for ages - but it still only took a day!

I’m even thinking of another Advent calendar, but since I have only one lot of Gdcs, where to bestow it? Or another Nativity set (it’d be the 3rd) - I suppose I could bestow that somewhere.

I love a lot of the Jean Greenhowe knitted toys, but dd’s house is already overflowing with toys/soft toys, I really can’t lumber her with any more.
Shall wander down to John Lewis later and have a good browse at patterns, looking for inspiration for something that won’t be a waste of time and effort.
Any brilliant ideas, O Crafty Ones?

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 19:04:31

That's an idea, Witzend. DGD still likes playing cafes, however,she decided to be a bad-tempered waitress at the weekend, grumbling at us for being choosy customers, telling us that what we wanted was off the menu then telling us not to come back to her cafe again grin

mary51 Fri 06-Mar-20 19:34:37

I knitted a couple of cupcakes once from a pattern in a library book. You knit a little cherry for the top. I gave one to a yoga teacher at the end of term last year as a calorie free cake. She was tickled pink as they say.!!

cupcakecupcake

MiniMoon Fri 06-Mar-20 19:36:40

I've just finished crocheting two knee rugs for a friend who volunteers at the South Tynedale Railway. All the carriages are open, so they provide passengers with the rugs to keep them warm.
I'm now crocheting a summer short sleeved jacket in a bright buttercup yellow. I'm going to send it to my sister for her birthday. I hope she will like it.

Witzend Fri 06-Mar-20 19:43:32

? Callistmon.

Namsnanny Fri 06-Mar-20 20:16:14

Callistemon … maybe you could knit her some 'pretend' money to sweeten her temper a little smile?
She sounds perfect BTW!

Your post made me laugh on two counts, the antics of your gd, and then I thought of that sketch by Victoria Wood where Julie Walters plays the old waitress. Haha so funny!

Stroppy waitress V Sloppy waitress.

Mrst1405 Fri 06-Mar-20 20:37:57

I do socks which are always well received as Christmas or birthday gifts. They take a bit if patience as they are 4 or even 3 ply . Once you have hand knit socks , there's no going back.

Namsnanny Fri 06-Mar-20 20:47:22

Oh Mrst1405 … too hard for me, but I bet they are lovely to wear!

Wow you've been busy MiniMoon!

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 22:57:25

Yes, I was trying to keep a straight face whilst thinking of Julie Walters as Two Soups.
Or a female (small) Basil Fawlty!

Callistemon Fri 06-Mar-20 22:59:39

Ps when I went to bed, I found a plate with a whole fish stuffed into a baguette by the side of my bed.
Thank goodness they were made of wood.

Namsnanny Sat 07-Mar-20 02:37:44

Callistemon Awww so she did want to serve you in the end?!
So long as she doesn't insist you take a bite, wood ouch!!

Firecracker123 Sat 07-Mar-20 07:48:11

Yes beautiful cushions. I'm the same want to knit or crochet but what to do. At the moment I found a lovely doll in the charity shop and am knitting clothes for her for my grand daughter.

littleflo Sat 07-Mar-20 12:03:48

I adore Jean Grenhowe books. Now that I have a second clutch of GCs I have got back into making toys in a big way. Sadly my favourite leaflet has gone missing. I don’t know if I lent it and it’s not been returned or it got thrown away.

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 12:06:26

I just don't think that restaurateur should be on her career list!

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 12:14:14

Paton's Fairy Flower Dolls are very cute too
Paton's book 3806

H1954 Sat 07-Mar-20 12:20:40

How about cannula mitts for poorly babies? The instructions are easy to find on Google. They're an elongated mitten that cover the cannulas that are necessary when babies are very poorly.

They're single use and mum gets to take it home as a keepsake after use. I've knitted dozens in a variety of colours.