Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Comfort Dolls easy knitting project.

(33 Posts)
Gemini17892 Sat 28-Mar-20 10:38:10

I mentioned Comfort Dolls on another thread and wondered if it would be something knitters could share on here ?
You only have to know how to make a rectangle of 32 sts and about 50 rows. Easy for beginners too. I’d like to see what other knitters come up with. Would you like to make one and post a pic on here ?
These dolls were an idea by a Canadian woman who started making them for charity. Depending on the colours you use ( scraps ) you can make teddies , Santa , snowmen etc.
Something to take your mind off the present ?
There’s a free pattern on the internet. Ravelry has some too. Just google them. ?

littleflo Sun 05-Apr-20 18:48:16

Thank you. I have made a little girl now. I have also found lots of free patterns. . My next project is Jean Greenhowe rainbow babies and a penguin.

littleflo Thu 16-Apr-20 11:51:13

I did not have a pattern for this, so I copied it from a picture. He is a bit wonky and has webbed feet, but I had fun making him.

bikergran Thu 16-Apr-20 18:40:32

Am I on the wrong website, I joined Ravelry /comfort dolls but it says machine knitting? confused

bikergran Thu 16-Apr-20 18:44:12

Think I will use schnauzels instructions.
Can anyone suggest what size of needles please, starting from scratch and I'm not a knitter smile thanks.

littleflo Fri 17-Apr-20 07:56:30

For double knitting I use 11 as my wool is from the cheap shop so bit thin. You can use a 10 needle. Needles need to be a bit smaller than usual do that the stuffing does not show through the stitches.

Use ‘heirloom crafts comfort dolls’ for a really clear pattern. Also Izzy dolls and. Jean Greenhowe rainbow babies for something slightly different.

bikergran Fri 17-Apr-20 15:56:39

Thanks littleflo smile

bikergran Fri 17-Apr-20 17:04:48

Well! either Im a bit simple or what....have looked at the pattern and looks complicated..maybe because I have never knit anything ..nope not even a cindy doll scarf!

I shall look at some videos as would love to have a go (once I get some needles and wool) forgot to get them whilst shopping today tut!