Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Painting rocks

(46 Posts)
H1954 Mon 06-Apr-20 01:06:11

Has anyone painted any rocks, if so what medium did you use? I would quite like to have a go but don't quite know where to start. I know I could Google the subject but I'd really appreciate some first hand experience. Thank you GNetters

Grandmafrench Thu 09-Apr-20 21:39:47

Quesera Those are lovely, what a lovely idea.
Oopsadaisy Oh, how cute is that !

Quesera Fri 10-Apr-20 08:44:16

Thank you Bluebell but so are yours and your cat Oopsadaisy!

Witzend Sun 19-Apr-20 12:38:54

These are all brilliant! You are all very talented.
I wish I could say I’d painted these - I’m the least artistic person in the world - but we bought them some years ago in Greece. They make very good paperweights.

Peardrop50 Wed 08-Jul-20 15:17:04

Wow BlueBelle only just come across this thread. You have been hiding your light under a bushel, what a wonderful talent you have as well as saving baby seagulls and giving sound advice to gransnetters in distress.
Quesera and Oopsadaisy too, there's some real talent out there.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 01-Sep-20 11:26:12

Acrylic paints are the best.

Witzend Sat 05-Sep-20 11:05:02

I love these! Not done by me, I hasten to add, I’m utterly un-artistic. They were bought in Greece some years ago.
Excellent paperweights!

pansypotter58 Sun 06-Sep-20 13:46:08

I am hoping to get to this using some acrylic paints. My Grandchildren have used indelible felt tip...which worked ok.

trustgone4sure Sun 06-Sep-20 14:49:31

I think i`m going to hide under one.
Such talented Grandsnetters.
Top notch ladies.

NotTooOld Sun 06-Sep-20 16:11:04

They are all lovely. Mine are not so good so I won't post them! I use acrylics and then spray varnish.

tattynan Tue 08-Sep-20 20:54:28

Posca pens are fab for craft like this.

vegansrock Tue 08-Sep-20 21:01:04

We always take acrylic paints and varnish when we go on holiday to Scotland, always useful for a wet afternoon in a remote cottage.

seacliff Tue 08-Sep-20 21:17:55

Oh you are all so clever, I love this idea. What a nice gift to receive. I had been looking at dot mandala painting, this tutorial is quite interesting.

absent Tue 08-Sep-20 22:01:11

Volunteers for our national cancer society paint "hope stones" which are freely available for cancer sufferers and their supporters in the cancer society's houses while the former are undergoing treatment. They are accompanied by a little note that says," No one fights alone." Hold this stone, and know that there is hope and someone is thinking of you."

I found that very touching and have a hope stone with lovely painted daffodils.

Oopsminty Tue 08-Sep-20 22:03:10

Gosh all these fabulous pictures are making me look at rocks in the garden and wondering what my efforts might look like.

Bluebelle, yours are just lovely!

anita28 Sun 22-Nov-20 00:00:12

BlueBelle your painted rocks are stunning. Our town does the 'hide-a-rock' thing and when you find one you take a photo and post it on the appropriate facebook page which is written on the back of the rock. Then hide the rock again for someone else to find. What we notice is that the especially-beautiful rocks like yours don't make it to the facebook page because people who find them just keep them. But.... that's not a bad thing either as you know they are loved.

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 03:15:24

What an unexpectedly great thread!
Very inspiring smile

bikergran Sun 22-Nov-20 09:06:58

Maybe we can all have a go at painting rocks and show them on here, doesn't matter if we are artists.it's the memory making as my mum would have said, also I would imagine it is quite absorbing.

They could be humerous,!

Off to buy some paints this week smile
(Oh and of course, we have not to steal the pebbles from the beach) Garden centers sell bags of pebbles. smile

BlueBelle Sun 22-Nov-20 09:13:01

I have no problems in taking half a dozen pebbles from the beach I have no car and no garden centre near by My town prides itself on a sandy beach so I m helping in a very very tiny way ?

LauraNorder Sun 22-Nov-20 10:01:17

I love all the painted pebbles, so much talent. I loved them when I was Peardrop50 and still do.

bikergran Sun 22-Nov-20 17:27:27

Lovely painted rocks all of you, the good thing is it doesn't take much room up.

I just had a thought, you could paint a Christmas theme rock and give it to a friend or who ever, I think that would be nice smile