Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Great British Sewing Bee!

(71 Posts)
H1954 Wed 22-Apr-20 16:23:14

Yay! Back on the TV tonight! 9pm on BBC 1!

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 23-Apr-20 12:38:20

Watching it this afternoon. Evenings are for a long chat with daughter who is someone who now works at home

Hope this thread survives with no more references C19 please.

Susan56 Thu 23-Apr-20 14:43:41

Have just watched.I really liked the garment of the week but disappointed with who was sent home.

Alishka Thu 23-Apr-20 14:53:30

I really liked it and will stick with it.smile
Particularly liked that Joe Lycett, the presenter, didn't make it all about Me!Me!Me!
So, on that basis, I'm looking forward to next weeksmile

Sussexborn Thu 23-Apr-20 15:04:02

I enjoyed it despite my lack of dressmaking skills. Hated needlework at school. Six sewing machines and 36 girls!

Thought the winning shirt looked like the work of a six year old but I loved most of the tea ? dresses.

Eloethan Fri 24-Apr-20 01:19:52

The winning dress, which I thought was odd too, I think was chosen for its originality and I suppose it was quite cleverly constructed. High fashion tends to like these really outrageous designs - as the catwalk demonstrates. Some of the creations they come up with are totally ridiculous.

BBbevan Fri 24-Apr-20 05:34:59

Did they say the chap who one the dress made from shirts was influenced by Vivienne Westwood ? I think that showed in his design. I enjoyed the programme. Look forward to next week

BBbevan Fri 24-Apr-20 05:35:33

Won not one !!!!!!

NotAGran55 Fri 24-Apr-20 06:32:46

I thought the transformation winner was very clever . Some of the others in that round were very basic . The lady who went home was the right choice imo , she was very poor . Not sure how she even got into the show ?

Loved a lot of the tea dresses ? .

BlueBelle Fri 24-Apr-20 07:02:14

I don’t agree at all notagran I do think the lady that went home was poor but I think the young man (haven’t got the names yet) who made the pink tea dress with open shoulders was far far worse on all three exercises
I think the best tea dress won and I think the ‘two shirt’ chap who won that round made an atrocious job of it although I did like his black and white wrap skirt
I don’t agree either that joe Lycet is good. I cannot understand why these competition shows all have to follow the exact same format and have two experts and a comedian, why? I feel he’s totally surplus to requirements
Having said all that I love the show although I ve never been able to sew I look forward to next week

Lucca Fri 24-Apr-20 07:40:48

I can’t sew or knit t save my life. Ur I love this show and I think joe Lycett is actually rather nice! I loved the sleeveless tea dress and the one with the very bright pattern too

DanniRae Sat 25-Apr-20 11:45:23

I think Joe Lycett is so good on the show - much better than Claudia Winkleman with her terrible fringe!

trisher Sat 25-Apr-20 11:51:54

I love Joe Lycett just the right degree of humour and sympathy. I've been inspired! Went through my wardrobe and found a linen dress I never wear- too short and no sleeves. I'm turning it into a top with sleeves.

Jellybeetles Sat 25-Apr-20 11:53:05

I despised dressmaking and only do embroidery and embroidered textile art. But the programme can still inspire you creatively. In general it is a joy to observe the individual personalities, watch their skills grow and watch those dark horses running alongside.

Millie22 Sat 25-Apr-20 11:54:05

I loved it and some of the dresses were fabulous especially the white flowery one and the dress that won garment of the week. I think Peter's future creations will be interesting.

Carillion01 Wed 06-May-20 21:38:52

I wish this programme was on every night. I'm a fabric fiend.
Loved the little smock dresses. Some lovely choices of fabric, one looked a bit like a William Morris design fabric and one was definitely Liberty! Gorgeous.
I've been paper crafting all week but think I'm back to crazy patchwork quilting tomorrow afternoon just to get my hands on some lovely fabrics.

Susie42 Sat 09-May-20 14:14:15

I would like to see what the insides of the garments look like as I'm sure there is no finishing off done as they don't have the time. I also find the comments by Esme and Patrick somewhat biased as they seem to focus more on design rather than the actual sewing.

LadyGracie Sat 09-May-20 16:05:29

I’ve stopped watching it, the transformation challenge in previous series was almost always something you might wear. Not any more.

I think the sewing skills of participants in most cases are poor at best.

Patrick is much more easily pleased than in previous series and Esme picky and not always consistent.

I preferred Claudia and find Joe embarrassing.

craftyone Sat 09-May-20 16:15:59

I love Joe, he adds just that right bit of levity and seems to help de-stress some of the competitors. I must say that I am not incredibly impressed with the overall standard of sewing, eg the wonky lines along the smocking and the poor choice of fabrics in some cases eg the dress collar and the poor positioning of the collar. However I do love the programme.

I don`t think Esme contributes a great deal but maybe that is her brief.

SuzannahM Sat 09-May-20 16:35:51

I love watching this. At the moment sewing blinds so haven't time for clothes but at least it's keeping my hand in.

Joe has grown on me; I think he's calmed down a bit and he's good with the contestants, but I've never thought of him as a comedian hmm.

Never been interested in the contestants, just love watching people who have skills using them.

ninathenana Sat 09-May-20 17:59:24

Suzannah I'd be interested to know what you feel is Joe's forte or do you just not rate him as a comedian. I think he's funny.
Please don't think I'm being critical, each to their own and all that. Just curious.

SuzannahM Sat 09-May-20 18:24:40

Nina - I think of him as a presenter really, mildly funny but I can't say he really makes me laugh. He seems a nice young man and as I say he seems to be good with the contestants.

I have no idea who he is though - he may be a well known comedian but I only know him from this programme and he has never interested me enough to look him up grin

Calendargirl Sat 09-May-20 18:48:06

I think Esme is good, I prefer her to the former lady judge.

Purplepixie Mon 11-May-20 09:39:57

I just love and Esme is great. X

DanniRae Mon 11-May-20 16:15:34

I seem to remember Esme being on "Would I lie to you?" and her story was something to do with years ago being on the back of a motor bike minus her underwear! (Sorry Esme if I have got this wrong!!)
And it was TRUE grin

Millie22 Mon 11-May-20 16:29:32

I quite like Esme and remember there was something about a motorbike. The sleeping bag challenge was a bit silly though better left as a sleeping bag.