Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

My Big Fat F***** C*******s

(74 Posts)
Witzend Fri 22-May-20 12:44:39

Dreadfully unseasonal, I know - blame lockdown! - but I’m quite pleased with him. Might make another one or 2 for Gdcs’ school fairs in late November.

In the past I’d never have started making C-word things until at least September - it felt all wrong. But I must say it’s nice to be able to make them without that ‘hurry up, get a move on, or it’s never be going to be finished in time’ feeling.

4allweknow Sat 23-May-20 09:34:23

He is certainly something that will be admired. Lovely work.

marpau Sat 23-May-20 09:38:05

He is fabulous. Well done you

Pussycat2012 Sat 23-May-20 09:38:49

Definitely given me something to ease any boredom in the coming weeks, thanks Witzend, yours look fab. If only I had my C*********. C** I could get on and write them...!!

Hermia46 Sat 23-May-20 09:41:51

Love that Witzend looks absolutely smashing...might just get me going. Did a nativity a year or so back and it did look good.

Witzend Sat 23-May-20 09:53:16

So sorry, but I’m not taking orders, it’s either for Gdcs or fundraising.
However, it honestly wasn’t in the least difficult! (Time consuming, yes.)
As with virtually all Jean G’s patterns, anyone with just basic knitting skills can make them - I gather they were purposely designed like that.

As many of her fans know, if you follow her very detailed instructions exactly, the end result will turn out (more or less) exactly like the illustration - as I was so pleased to find when I first tried one of her patterns - the Nativity set - a couple of years ago.
Before then there were at least 2 UFOs (unfinished objects) that I’d abandoned in frustration because the patterns turned out to be too fiddly or else the instructions weren’t clear - not clear enough for me, anyway!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 23-May-20 10:01:13

Well done! My mum made the same F*** C****** for me many years ago, with a toy soldier in the sack, and also the postbox, complete with Robin on the top. They are always displayed every Christmas, sitting on the bottom, and next step up of the stairs. Mum passed away 5 years ago and they are a lovely way of remembering her each Christmas. Hopefully your santa will become part of a family tradition too.
On a slightly naughty note, last year I was in the craft department of a large garden centre, browsing the craft books, and came across a book with patterns for knitting naked figures! All displayed in various settings a la Calendar Girls, eg choir practice with the vicar's hymn book strategically placed. I did NOT buy it, but now regretting it!

Kate54 Sat 23-May-20 10:07:38

Just ordered one from Amazon, £5.99. Jean Greenhowe will be wondering about this sudden upsurge in business!

TerryM Sat 23-May-20 10:14:36

Amazing

Lupatria Sat 23-May-20 10:16:30

i've just been on amazon's website and put the leaflet in my basket - i'll sort it all out later.
i'm not much of a knitter but would like to do this. i might get it done by 25 december!

Flat11a Sat 23-May-20 10:20:35

Wow! I love C****** and would love to buy one. Please let me know if you would sell any .

Joni Sat 23-May-20 10:24:05

well done , what a beautiful piece of work and with so much detail, your so very talented xxx

jocork Sat 23-May-20 10:29:00

I make small beaded fabric Christmas decorations. I first started making them a couple of years ago after seeing a kit for sale to make 1 for £7! I modified the design making it smaller and therefore quicker to make and made a few to give away that year. They are quite time consuming so I always have to start in good time. Now I have some on the go all the time as they are small and can be taken anywhere to work on, and I've made a few new designs in a similar style. I'd love to make them to sell but I end up giving them away as gifts as I never have time to make enough for a sale. Lockdown has been an opportunity to get a bit ahead!

Nana4 Sat 23-May-20 10:31:06

What a gorgeous Father Christmas!!! You are so gifted!!!

barbaralynne Sat 23-May-20 10:38:19

Gransnetters might be interested in making knitted rainbows. There is a free pattern by "knitting by post", and it comes in 3 sizes, is so straightforward. I and a few knitting friends have been making them for the children who get free school meals, so are getting food bags from the school. They seem to love the small version. Sorry but no good at sending photos!

Jishere Sat 23-May-20 10:53:53

That is lovely.Well done to you.

Baggs Sat 23-May-20 10:59:29

I like your FC very much, witz.

CraftyGranny Sat 23-May-20 11:01:07

Witzend. What a fantastic FC, the detail is superb.
Knitting toys is my passion too. Have you looked at the Knitables site, if not you will love the animal and doll patterns on there. There are also outfits for the toys and videos too. Take a look
www.knitables.com

Mollygo Sat 23-May-20 11:06:32

Love that even so far if C****** but like Merlot I opened the post for the wrong reasons.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 23-May-20 11:08:05

They're fab, Witzend and Jocork , well done. Now don't do the daft thing of putting them away in a safe place and then have difficulty finding them in mid December, will you?

Candy6 Sat 23-May-20 11:08:47

He’s so lovely. Wish I could sew. I would love to find a craft hobby I enjoy. Might start another thread for suggestions. Well done!

Craftycat Sat 23-May-20 11:23:24

From one cake decorator to another I think he is great.
I have missed making birthday cakes for 3 of my DGC during this mad time & they had to have bought ones.
They were not impressed!!
Hopefully by the next one's birthday I will be able to do the cake (they compete to see who can give me the most difficult cake every year)

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 23-May-20 12:09:42

Totally excellent.
Love him.
Brilliant job, well done.

minxie Sat 23-May-20 12:16:00

I’m with you there. I’ve been cross stitching Christmas cards

Camelotclub Sat 23-May-20 12:38:05

Beautifully knitted and I know how much work would have gone into him.

Nannan2 Sat 23-May-20 12:38:59

Aw he's great! If i did him it would take me til C*******s to make him- is he knitted then? If so might look up the pattern,if its still available, Cause i cant crochet. Ive just finished a single bed size blanket,in very chunky wool which id promised one of my sons(2 still at home,21&17) it got done since we've had lockdown but was plain knitting, and very heavy, and all in one piece so was a bit of a slog to get finished in end- But did it other night! Now going do baby bootees for expected GC and then little blankets for RSPCA. Well done Witzend!smile