Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

My Big Fat F***** C*******s

(74 Posts)
Witzend Fri 22-May-20 12:44:39

Dreadfully unseasonal, I know - blame lockdown! - but I’m quite pleased with him. Might make another one or 2 for Gdcs’ school fairs in late November.

In the past I’d never have started making C-word things until at least September - it felt all wrong. But I must say it’s nice to be able to make them without that ‘hurry up, get a move on, or it’s never be going to be finished in time’ feeling.

Camelotclub Sat 23-May-20 12:39:24

I think craft and hobby shops ought to be allowed to open, as per garden centres. Can't think why they they aren't; if they took precautions they ought to be safe enough.

Taliya Sat 23-May-20 12:39:26

Wow, that's quite an achievement ..he looks great

Nannan2 Sat 23-May-20 12:41:40

Haha,lovebeigecardigans, i do that every year with the presentsgrin

Nannan2 Sat 23-May-20 12:46:52

CamelotClub- youre so right- im sure they can do same guidelines as the other shops, the 2metre distances etc, if not theres lots online and theres cheap ones too,like theworks.co.uk if youve a tight budget.and lots of sales and free patterns on lovecrafts.And you can even add needles& wool/craft magazines to your foodshop.smile

Nannan2 Sat 23-May-20 12:55:33

Thank you for that info Witzend- ive just ordered pattern from Amazon& another so i can do the mermaid too.lovely.- wont be too heavy either if ive to post them.smile

Witzend Sat 23-May-20 13:18:07

I don’t have any craft shop near anyway. There’s a John Lewis quite close but they mostly stock ‘quality’ yarn, not the cheap and cheerful stuff I want for anything like my FC. I order from Lovecrafts - it all comes pretty quickly. I’ve easily found stuffing online, too.

Merryweather Sat 23-May-20 13:39:10

He's brilliant. Are you taking orders?
I must say, you are very talented.

granbabies123 Sat 23-May-20 14:19:04

He is fabulous if you want something to do you could take orders. If you didn't need pennies you could donate to charity.
What a lovely way to spend lock down

Roddi3363 Sat 23-May-20 14:54:09

WOW! How clever and wonderful. Can I order one please?

rowyn Sat 23-May-20 15:10:43

Well what a disappointment. I thought I was going to read something smutty!
Actually, I've knitted the unmentionable; he sits in my fireplace each youknowwhat

Millie22 Sat 23-May-20 17:21:43

He's so good and I know how much work goes into making knitted toys. I'm still doing a lamb that should have been finished for Easter! Love the piano btw.

Harris27 Sat 23-May-20 17:46:28

Lovely, well done!

Billybob4491 Sat 23-May-20 18:50:00

Another winner Witzend! just finished Jean Greenhowe Lady in the wool shop, and also the table set for afternoon tea. I usually start on C****** knitting later on in the year.

Witzend Sat 23-May-20 19:41:05

The Lady in the Wool Shop’s a massive project, isn’t it, Billybob? Can you post a pic - I’d love to see it!

Yes, I wouldn’t normally start anything C-word so ridiculously early, but I needed something cheerful to do that wasn’t h*****w**k during lockdown!

shirleyhick Sat 23-May-20 20:39:19

He is wonderful you are very talented.

Sawsage2 Sat 23-May-20 21:58:49

Are you taking orders for Santa, if so can I order one please ( you could have a business here!)

GardenofEngland Sat 23-May-20 22:46:27

I have just ordered the pamphlet on Amazon. I haven't knitted for years but have all my mother's needles, and plenty of time now! Knitted a dino jumper from womens weekly for grandson first attempt for years but that changing colours dove me mad..

Hawera1 Sat 23-May-20 22:53:11

Hes utterly gorgeous

Schnauzer1 Sat 23-May-20 23:41:58

Santa is absolutely fantastic and the little polar bear is so cute. Your knitting and sewing up is perfection.
I sell small knitted toys at craft fairs for charity so I totally understand why you wouldn't make the santa's to sell. I can usually only add £1 an hour for my time on top of the cost of materials otherwise the items would be too expensive and nobody would buy them.

justwokeup Sun 24-May-20 02:25:24

Just today OH said, 'on the plus side, you've got time to get ahead with your C*** makes now haven't you?' I was so tempted to hit him - I couldn't feel less like it at the moment! Yet I know at that time of year I'll wish I had more time. Lovely knitting Witzend, and well done for being constructive!

Witzend Sun 24-May-20 08:25:36

That dino jumper is fantastic, @GardenofEngland! I think the changing of colours would drive me mad too, though. I’ve given up making jumpers for Gdcs because the other Granny is much better at it than I am, cables etc., and makes a lot for them.

Yes, that’s it, Schnauzer1 - I’ve donated little things before for a school fair and peanuts-pricing was the only way to be sure they sold - no sense in having them left over. So it’s just bigger things for the raffles now.

DanniRae Sun 24-May-20 13:37:10

Thanks to this thread I have remembered that I usually start a scarf or snood for the homeless about now to send to a homeless charity when the bad weather comes. I am between projects so now I know what I am going to do this afternoon! (It takes me ages so that's why I start now.)

Tickledpink Mon 25-May-20 00:01:14

That's a handsome S---a! I have that wonderful book and have knitted quite a few things. I haven't knitted Santa yet, maybe I will give it a go this year. I do like the sack with the toys, very sweet.