Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Is anyone actually achieving anything in this heat?

(72 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Tue 11-Aug-20 16:25:15

I am angry (hot) Sweat running down my back & I'm indoors! I've tinkered around the edge of jobs all day but I'm not getting very far. Are you finding it hard? I can't wait for the weather to break...

Chewbacca Tue 11-Aug-20 18:54:17

Had 2 hot and bothered GC this afternoon and it was a challenge to keep them entertained, cool and hydrated. No one wanted anything to eat beca7se they were too hot. We found a cool shady corner in the garden and did some fabric painting but it was drying even before they'd finished. Now I've got the house and garden to tidy up but......... don't think I can be bothered.

CraftyGranny Tue 11-Aug-20 18:55:23

Yep. Just finished decorating the living room! It taken 1 week but has been very hard going. So tomorrow I will be putting up the new vertical blinds and hanging curtains. I am truely kna***rd hmm

CraftyGranny Tue 11-Aug-20 18:57:21

I should add, the weather wasn't like this when I started decorating

PinkCakes Tue 11-Aug-20 18:59:27

I did 2 lots of washing, hung it all out. Went to a lovely country park with the GC, walked all the way around the lakes there (5.5 miles), had a picnic there. Then visited a couple of friends, came home and did the dinner (fish, chips, peas), did a load more washing, vacuumed up, filled the dishwasher.

I'm knackered grin

NanKate Tue 11-Aug-20 19:20:19

Norstat was the wine provided by your 2 French gentlemen friends we were talking about recently ? ?

Barmeyoldbat Tue 11-Aug-20 19:24:35

Had to drive for 3 hours to pick up a cat that we have adopted. It should have been shorter but we got lost. Should have used the sat nav. Don't mind the heat I am use to it, it just an excuse for doing nothing but lying around reading which I will do to morrow. At the moment me and the cat are getting to know each other.

Jaxjacky Tue 11-Aug-20 20:11:03

Not a lot today, it hit 34, about 29 I can cope, bunged carpet sweeper round, friend came round to change some lights..long story.
We’d booked out for early dinner, on a local beach, but there were issues with social distancing and no shade...so, home by 7:30, fan on, bra off, glass of wine = happy.
Hopefully dropping tomorrow and storms/rain...bring it on.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-Aug-20 20:22:03

Same as everyone else.

Hung out washing, which dried almost as I hung it on the line. Cleaned the bathroom, made a paella have just watered the seedling vegetables, which I am pleased to see are growing like mad.

Garden needs attention but far too hot.

I have to get everything done by 10am otherwise too hot.
I do like the sun, but this is too much.

Georgesgran Tue 11-Aug-20 20:22:56

TBH - I envy you. Here in the North East we’ve had very little in the way of Summer!! Some nice weather in June which is a distant memory - we are having a few pleasant evenings, but nothing like the weather down South!

Nortsat Wed 12-Aug-20 14:02:11

Nankate mai oui, naturellement ?

Witzend Wed 12-Aug-20 17:07:11

I blame the heat entirely, not my own failure to pay proper attention wink but this afternoon while melting on the sofa I went wrong twice while knitting a black spider’s body (spider to go on an H-word wreath) and had to start again.

First time I was halfway through the beastly thing, 2nd time not so bad, only about 3 rows in.
I still have 4 of its orrible black legs to go.

We finally had a lot of thunder and some rain - Hallelujah - not enough, though - and it’s cooled off just a bit.

ladymuck Wed 12-Aug-20 17:18:06

I'm feeling very pleased with myself actually. I thought I would have a go at something I saw on the Shopping Street channel....a version of quilt-as-you-go....quilting small pieces and then sewing them together. I'm a novice at quilting, but it actually worked!

Tweedle24 Wed 12-Aug-20 17:19:21

It is thundering, lightning and pouring with rain currently so, enjoying the cooler air while it lasts.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-20 17:27:55

Sat with blinds pulled. Temp. 27c but bbc weather says it feels like 33c and they are right. Humidity is high.

Sundown at 8.30 thank goodness! I am then going to sow some carrots.

Thunder and light ☹️ rain forecast tonight.

seacliff Wed 12-Aug-20 17:31:53

I'll be doing a rain dance if it doesn't break soon.

Jaxjacky Wed 12-Aug-20 17:34:17

Tweedle24 where are you please?

EllanVannin Wed 12-Aug-20 17:45:13

I rather think we're in for a repeat of Monday night after the lovely day we've had here on the Costa Mersey. It's clouding over and looks a bit threatening in parts, oooer. A bit fiery-looking with bulky clouds----the type when you fly through them you get loads of turbulence grin

Kamiso Wed 12-Aug-20 17:49:49

OH decided to hoover the whole house. I moved my foot when he asked me to. He moved my fan which is irritating as I will have to get up and move it back. Picked some sweet peas and had a long chat with DD2.

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 17:49:54

You can check, in real time, for thunderstorms and lightening in your area via this link. North Wales looks like it's getting some at the moment.

www.lightningmaps.org/

seacliff Wed 12-Aug-20 18:32:30

That's a good link, thanks. Nothing coming to hot muggy Suffolk yet.

This link shows how rainfall is moving across the country, and if you are likely to get some soon. Handy when putting washing out as it's very accurate.

Enter your town click under map to x2, and start it. www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar

mbmb Wed 12-Aug-20 18:51:12

Yes, I am achieving a state of self congratulation and coolness. All the windows of my flat are south facing, which makes it lovely and light but baking hot when the sun shines for extended periods. In February I decided to buy a portable air conditioner, reasoning that if we did have a hot summer they would be in very short supply. Knowing my luck I had the sinking feeling that we might be in for a cool and rainy summer.

My living room is wonderfully cool and I may well repeat what I did last night which was to sleep on my very comfortable sofa.

DanniRae Wed 12-Aug-20 19:21:09

Is there room for two on your sofa mbmb? - every room in my house is hot

3nanny6 Wed 12-Aug-20 19:36:02

We finally got the rain about 2 hours ago but not much of it,
although it does seem a little bit cooler. Maybe I am just feeling cooler because I was so hot and sweaty I took my dress off.
I have fans all over the house but it is still humid so sitting here in my knickeroos with the fan blowing.
I think I better buy one of those portable air coolers as not the best of sights with hardly any clothes on.

mbmb Wed 12-Aug-20 19:41:20

DannieRae you're more than welcome!

lemongrove Wed 12-Aug-20 20:04:17

3nanny6

We finally got the rain about 2 hours ago but not much of it,
although it does seem a little bit cooler. Maybe I am just feeling cooler because I was so hot and sweaty I took my dress off.
I have fans all over the house but it is still humid so sitting here in my knickeroos with the fan blowing.
I think I better buy one of those portable air coolers as not the best of sights with hardly any clothes on.

I could have written your post? but I went one better and had a really cool shower as well.One in the morning and another one in the evening is the way to go.