Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Mini sewing machine gadget things - any good?

(64 Posts)
Lucca Mon 02-Nov-20 15:43:48

I used to own a sewing machine and make fairly basic curtains etc. From time to time is wish I had a machine to do repairs make a cushion cover or two or even face masks. Does anyone know anything g about these “mini sewing machines “?

Ilovecheese Mon 02-Nov-20 16:02:49

How mini?
The hand held ones I wouldn't touch, they never seem to work properly.
The ones that look like a normal sewing machine but smaller, in pastel colours are o.k for light fabrics, but sometimes will not take a normal sized reel of thread so a bit of a nuisance and not useful for many things.

I would go for a full size. Aldi or Lidl sometimes have good bargains.
On line "sewing machines direct" have a good range.
Or Argos have a basic Brother model for £80.
I suppose sewing machine shops will be closed from Thursday.

But then I love sewing and can't imagine being without a proper machine, so maybe biased in my reply!

Bluebellwould Mon 02-Nov-20 16:05:22

Hi Luca, no I can’t recommend any small or hand held machines. They just do not work. Agree with Ilovecheese, or look on eBay for second hand ones.

Bluebellwould Mon 02-Nov-20 16:05:51

Autocorrect Lucca ?

vegansrock Mon 02-Nov-20 17:05:13

Agree small ones are just toys and wouldn’t stand up to a curtain. Janome have some beginner models which are fairly reliable and straightforward. You get what you pay for with sewing machines in my experience.

Lucca Mon 02-Nov-20 18:03:14

Thanks. I’ll abandon the idea !

Alishka Tue 03-Nov-20 21:06:53

Very sensible decision, Lucca ! wink

I used to design and make all my own clothes, including a trouser suit, but that was then....now tho? I've been known to go into my local Morrisons, which has a Pride drycleaning/alteration service, and ask them to sew a button on for me while I had a pot of teagrin

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 21:39:38

Oh well, that's another nail in the coffin of my dream to become a domestic goddess, then.

I almost bought a really small machine to hem some -shhhhh! Don't tell anyone- net curtains.

Chewbacca Tue 03-Nov-20 21:49:14

I wish I'd kept Granny's Jones's treadle sewing machine now; it was a doddle to use. Forwards or backwards only. Perfect.

fevertree Tue 03-Nov-20 21:51:23

chewbacca my mother had a Singer treadle when I was a child, it's what I learnt to sew on. I loved it. Such happy memories.

Alishka Tue 03-Nov-20 21:55:03

My mum had a treadle sewing machine. Can still remember the sound of it. She made most of our clothes when we were children and knitted our jumpers and cardigans too.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 21:58:21

Aah, I can picture my mum at her sewing machine, making curtains and other bits.

Someone gave it to her, and it was too heavy to lift, so she sat in the bedroom, on the lid.
I don't half miss her.

fevertree Tue 03-Nov-20 22:06:26

MissAdventure I'm flooded with memories of my mother at the machine too now. She used to sit late into the night sewing fancy aprons that she would sell to make extra money.

I miss her! She died when I was barely in my 40s.

dontmindstayinghome Tue 03-Nov-20 22:07:21

I think Aldi have one on special offer at the moment for £29.99.
It is described as a 'midi' size. Two good reviews on it.

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle machine at school.

I now have a 40yr old Singer and a Janome which I was given without instructions so I don't know how to thread it!

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 22:09:41

We should make a thread full of little snippet memories of our parents - sometimes things written here spark off long forgotten ones.
I feel a bit tearful now though. (Wavery smile emoji)

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 22:25:09

dontmindstayinghome

I think Aldi have one on special offer at the moment for £29.99.
It is described as a 'midi' size. Two good reviews on it.

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle machine at school.

I now have a 40yr old Singer and a Janome which I was given without instructions so I don't know how to thread it!

Oooh exciting ! Maybe I’ll rethink my decision...

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 22:27:03

You can't go wrong for that price. smile

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 22:29:00

?? sold out

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 22:31:23

Oh, I'm all disappointed now!

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 22:33:36

And me. I’ll nip down to local Aldi just in case...

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 23:08:33

I've just been googling, but only found a digital one.

Chewbacca Wed 04-Nov-20 00:02:28

That sounds too complicated for me MissA; I'd rather hand sew than faff around with a digital machine. I bought a super king size duvet cover in the sales because I really liked the design. But my bed is a double. So I cut it to size and hand sewed double seams up the sides. Took me days to finish it! grin

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 01:50:03

These are really good! www.google.com/search?q=jl+mini+sewing+machine&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB891GB891&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiCnKzj4ufsAhUJQkEAHV15C3k4ChD8BSgBegQIDBAD&biw=911&bih=438#spd=17801522541833293148 A lady on youtube has one and takes hers on holiday with her because its so convenient

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 04:22:30

Which one ?!

fevertree Wed 04-Nov-20 07:22:18

MissA ?

I'm in a Zoom sewing group. I have a basic Janome, cost was £99. All the other (younger) women in the class have fancy 'bells 'n whistles' digital machines. The number of times I am 'marking time' waiting on them to sort out an electronic hitch ... smile - my machine never let's me down.