Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Mini sewing machine gadget things - any good?

(65 Posts)
Lucca Mon 02-Nov-20 15:43:48

I used to own a sewing machine and make fairly basic curtains etc. From time to time is wish I had a machine to do repairs make a cushion cover or two or even face masks. Does anyone know anything g about these “mini sewing machines “?

FarawayGran Wed 04-Nov-20 12:16:58

To Don'tmindstayingat home
If there is a serial number on the machine you can google it.
I have a 1930's Singer and I found some really helpful hints and demos

Llamedos13 Wed 04-Nov-20 12:39:15

I too learned to sew on an old singer treadle machine. As a small child I loved to hunt inside the four little drawers and see all the bits and bibs. When my own sewing machine packed in a few years ago I picked up a 1950 singer machine in a charity shop. Best thing ever. Sews just about any fabric. There were no instructions but I found a you tube video that told me all I needed to know. I think the old machines were built to last.

Patsy429 Wed 04-Nov-20 13:08:38

My father was an upholsterer and also made the huge theatre curtains back in the sizties. He had an old Singer treadle machine at home which was well used, firstly for curtains whenever we needed them, and then as babies came along, cot sheets from various bits of fabric and even pyjamas and dresses for us. I'm afraid it didn't rub off on me and yet, my daughters now turn to me to repair, or sew up trouser hems, etc. as they can't be bothered!

Kartush Wed 04-Nov-20 13:37:01

I bought myself a mini sewing machine from Aldi, cost me $20, got it home unpacked it. It looked great, even had a little foot pedal. So i put batteries in it, turned it on and followed the instructions. Everything worked....except it didnt sew, the needle went up and down, the fabric went through but no stiches. Long story short after three days of trying i removed the needle and any sharp bits and gave it to my great grandson who happily “sews” bits of paper with it.

boodymum67 Wed 04-Nov-20 13:42:58

Those mini sewing machines aren't much good for `proper` sewing.

I love my newish BROTHER INNOV 15.

Got it for £199 from an online dealer. it was slightly cheaper than the regular price as it was a re-boxed one..ie someone ordered it and didn't want it. It had a full guarantee and is perfect. I use it daily.

boodymum67 Wed 04-Nov-20 13:45:21

I forgot to mention that I am a wheelchair user, so cant use my legs or feet. With my previous sewing machine, I couldn't use the foot pedal on the floor, so put it on my work table and operated it with my right had..hence I only had 1 hand for everything else.

This fab new machine has a stop/start button so it is great for me.

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 13:48:26

You cant go wrong with an old fashioned sewing machine, that's true. You can even sew in a power cut! I learned to sew on a wind handle sewing machine.

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 14:12:21

Update....by the way no intention of sewing curtains again !
I got the last Aldi one in the shop. It’s a tasteful shade of pink
I haven’t unpacked it yet. I do hope it doesn’t end up working as well as the exercise video i once bought (and never played )

f77ms Wed 04-Nov-20 14:27:16

I do quite a bit of sewing, i love my janome. You can get free tutorials on you tube on how to make various things plus threading, tensions etc.

Happysexagenarian Wed 04-Nov-20 15:33:46

Lucca
I had a Janome Mini sewing machine for several years and loved it. Strong, well made, a variety of stitches and reliable. I made everything from clothes to curtains on it. I eventually gave it to my GD when she took an interest in sewing and she loves it too. It must be 12 years old now and still going strong.
This one is very similar to it:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JANOME-Compact-Electric-Sewing-Machine-Sew-Mini-525-Portable-Manual-Book/164485919993?hash=item264c1ff4f9:g:XOQAAOSww3Ffb2Ic
Janome is a great brand. I have a full size Janome machine, a Janome overlocker and I'm now considering one of their quilting machines.

As others have said don't bother with the tiny handheld machines they're slow and frustrating to use, difficult to get an even stitch and you'd be better putting the money towards something better.

songstress60 Wed 04-Nov-20 17:24:55

I am going to admit something now. I cannot use a sewing machine! The teachers at my school were diabolical. When they saw that sewing was not my forte they threw me out of the class refusing to teach me altogether, so I am in my 60's having NEVER touched a sewing machine. I am not ashamed as I have other talents. I play 2 instruments, have a better singing voice than most pop stars. I just wish those teachers had been held accountable!

MissAdventure Wed 04-Nov-20 17:31:50

Me neither.
I think maybe only those with an interest were given a chance on the sewing machines at school, so that rules me out.
I changed my option to woodwork as soon as I got the chance.

icanhandthemback Wed 04-Nov-20 21:09:12

I have several modern sewing machines which I do battle with whenever I use them. I was left a 1951 Singer 201k by a late uncle and I can tell you that it knocks the others into touch. Personally, I will never touch a modern sewing machine ever again!!!

Blossoming Wed 04-Nov-20 23:43:06

boodymum67 thank you! I can’t manage a treadle and have only one fully functional hand. I sew by hand now and enjoy it, but there are some jobs that would be better with a machine. Is it easy to thread?