Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Weaving

(25 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Wed 12-May-21 22:34:50

Meaux, 4 shafts is great. 8 is fantastic but 4 allows all sorts of patterns.

rubysong Wed 12-May-21 22:07:06

I still have a Spears loom somewhere in the loft. It's not very big, I must have a look what size and see if I can set it up. Maybe DGD age 4 would like a go with it.

Meaux Wed 12-May-21 21:16:36

NotSpaghetti - since we last spoke I have combined weaving with bag making. Making bags from my own cloth is very satisfying. I have learned quite a few different patterns and techniques on my rigid heddle loom and I am considering the merits of upgrading to an eight shaft loom. My problem is time, because I also paint, do pyrography, Lino cuts/printing, knit, sew and embroider. Someone has just gifted me a set of chisels and blades for carving and I am tempted to give that a go too ?.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 10-May-21 11:44:19

Scooty do you have a largish ‘childs’ loom or something more complicated? I’d like to get started but I don’t want to splash out on something that I might not want to bother getting out each time, one on my lap sounds easier , but would it be big enough or wouldn’t it do the job?

twinnytwin Tue 04-May-21 10:29:21

Oh no. Sounds like another craft I need to try after adding several into my lockdown spare time. I had the weaving loom as a child. My Mum would have chucked it out once I stoppped using it for sure.

NotSpaghetti Mon 03-May-21 22:06:26

It's such a wonderful thing to do. I discovered it late but it really fills me with delight!

Scooty413 Mon 03-May-21 20:20:02

Hi, yes I do some weaving. I have 4 different sized simple looms and make purses, phone cases, Kindle/ipad covers and bags.

NotSpaghetti Wed 28-Apr-21 16:12:57

muffin grin

muffinthemoo Wed 28-Apr-21 13:04:33

I literally tied myself into the last macrame project I attempted, does that count?

NotSpaghetti Wed 28-Apr-21 13:02:40

Just wondering if there are any more weavers about?

Meaux Sun 15-Nov-20 15:51:50

I’ve seen that book on Amazon NotSpaghetti, but never got it because most of it doesn’t apply to rigid heddle looms. If I get a four beam loom (working on DH for Xmas ?) I will get the book. Thanks x

V3ra Sat 14-Nov-20 22:10:54

I did some weaving many years ago, as part of a Girl Guide badge.
More unusually though, with my Mum's help, I collected sheep's wool from barbed wire fences locally, then brought it home and dyed it in a saucepan on the stove using various botanicals (I remember onion skins gave a good yellow colour).
Then I visited a lady Mum knew who had a spinning wheel and actually learned how to spin the fleece into wool. It's only looking back that I realise what a fantastic experience that was!
Mum trained as a teacher as a mature student and her special subject was handicrafts/needlework so this was right up her street.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Nov-20 20:42:31

There is a great old weaving book for four shaft looms. It covers all the traditional patterns and each section has a short intro which you should read.
It's called "A Handweaver's Pattern Book"

www.goodreads.com/book/show/2774439-a-handweaver-s-pattern-book#bookDetails

It's by Marguerite Porter Davison.

Meaux Sat 14-Nov-20 19:06:30

It is so lovely to hear from so many of you. I have only been weaving since April and currently use a 32” Ashford rigid heddle loom. I was bitten by the bug after my son bought me a tablet loom for my birthday. I am really enjoying it and can see it becoming a life-long passion. I am now seriously thinking of getting a four beam table loom (thank you NotSpaghetti ?).

Shropshirelass Sat 14-Nov-20 09:36:37

I aim to pick up my crafting again ASAP. I have been busy looking after elderly relatives and chronically ill DH so no time for myself. This must change for my own sanity! I have just sold a Spears weaving loom found when clearing out the loft, perhaps I should have kept it!

yggdrasil Sat 14-Nov-20 09:33:51

I used to. I had a warp-weighted loom I demontrated at Living History displays. I have had to get rid of all my looms because of space (apart from the tablet weaving one)

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Nov-20 08:41:54

I suppose it depends what type of fabric they are Lully.
What would you like to do?

I'm assuming if you wove for one day only they may not be very big...

Maybe a pouch, purse, pencil case, wall hanging, detail on something else? A mat?
Coat/dress for a loved doll maybe?

LullyDully Sat 14-Nov-20 08:32:33

I did a weaving day last year and enjoyed learning all the different patterns. It is very enjoyable. Not sure what to do with my attempts after I finish them. Need to know what to do with them.

MamaCaz Sat 14-Nov-20 08:24:51

fiorentina51
I had a Spears weaving loom as a child but I suppose that doesn't count.

I had one of those, too. In fact, I only got rid of it when I moved into this house 20 years ago. Now that I have grandchildren?who love crafts, I really regret not having kept it.

This has conjured up images of our lovely old dog, because I wove her a tartan rug on that loom, and I can still picture her lying on it.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Nov-20 08:17:31

I think all looms count! It's an amazing thing to make cloth just from a few fibres. It never ceases to amaze me how magical it is.

fiorentina51 Sat 14-Nov-20 07:31:17

No but I'd like to try it. I've had a go at tablet weaving which was a bit of a faff but quite relaxing when I got going. I had a Spears weaving loom as a child but I suppose that doesn't count. ?

Meaux Sat 14-Nov-20 06:35:18

So nice to find a kindred spirit ?.

NotSpaghetti Sat 14-Nov-20 00:56:03

Are there any more of us out there please?

NotSpaghetti Fri 13-Nov-20 21:29:37

Yes

Meaux Fri 13-Nov-20 20:23:34

Are there any other weavers on gransnet?