Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Cross stitch

(359 Posts)
Sar53 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:40:02

I'm blowing my own trumpet here but I am very proud of my first foray into cross stitch.
I have actually made three unicorns, two ballet dancers and one Harry Potter. These are for six of my granddaughters. I really hope they like them.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 15-Aug-21 17:36:10

Hello Whiff and Annie. I last posted in November with a couple of my efforts and it’s very nice to come back and see you posting. Since November I’ve been working on an Autumn scene which had an awful lot of colour changes. The back of my work also looks messy, it would have taken too long to sew in the ends so I’ve been knotting the silks. I know, not good but doesn’t seem to matter in the long run.

Since finishing Autumn in July I’ve started another one (yes, I’m an addict) which also has many colour changes with very subtle shades. I must be nuts, but love a challenge and favour the cool colours of Autumn/winter.

They’ll probably all end up at car boot one day but I really don’t care, it’s the pleasure I get from working on them that is important to me. Happy stitching and I’ll have a go at posting pictures.

Whiff Sun 15-Aug-21 17:49:56

Oldbutstilluseful beautiful work. I would either frame them or make them into cushions. Love all the colours what fabric have you used?

I always have the next project ready to go . As I have to do some stitching everyday. Like I have to read everyday. Creature of habit.

Loved it when on one of Kristie Allsop Christmas shows there was a cross stitcher she did small pieces as they are only allowed so many hours to finish whatever they are doing. Love her programmes.

I would love a cross stitch programme but because it's a slow craft and can't see a TV company commissioning one.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 15-Aug-21 18:21:23

Thanks Whiff. They will be framed and I’ve got several others waiting as well.

Like you I do have to have the next project ready, but I think the current one will probably take a year, hopefully less. My go to craft used to be knitting, but about 7 years ago the neighbours from hell moved in next door and I needed something that I had to concentrate on, cross stitch did the trick! They moved out but left me with a new, addictive hobby.

I’ve now started knitting again which I’m enjoying. It’s good to have something else on the go.

I agree, I can’t see a programme on cross stitch being of any interest. It’s a personal, close up craft, but I would enjoy seeing an exhibition of work. It’s always good to see what others have been up to. I particularly like some of the quirky things you make and it’s so nice that your family and friends want them. My family have had a little squabble about who gets what (eventually), but don’t seem to want them now!

Lincslass Sun 15-Aug-21 18:23:42

Well done, they look lovely. Haven’t crossed stitched for years.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 15-Aug-21 18:58:24

Give it a go Lincslass, you’ll find it a mindful occupation! Thank you ?

Whiff Sun 15-Aug-21 20:17:00

I started to cross stitch because I was carer to my mom and needed to relax. Mom loved to see how my work progressed and loved the finish work.

I had to stop knitting 33 years ago. I became ill with a neurological condition that meant I couldn't control the needles. My hands shake but not while stitching.

Lincslass hope you start stitching again and look forward to seeing your work.

Sar53 Sun 15-Aug-21 22:25:33

Good evening everyone, it was me who started this thread all those months ago. I have finished one large picture and almost finished my second. As soon as it is finished I will post pictures.
I'm intending to get them framed once completed.
I love cross stitching and try and do a bit each day.
Sometimes life gets in the way and I don't pick it up for a while.
Looking forward to seeing some lovely pieces.

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 15-Aug-21 22:26:36

Sorry to hear about your condition Whiff, that must have been a tough time, but I’m so pleased x-stitch filled the gap, and gave your mom comfort as well. Win win!

I usually work on 14 Aida, but the Autumn one was smaller.

Whiff Mon 16-Aug-21 05:15:42

Sar53 can't wait to see your work. As the work you showed how talented you are.

It's funny really I know a lot of people who have various illnesses but when they cross stitch, crochet,knit or embroider their hands don't shake. And like me have noticed that it keeps their fingers flexible. Those with arthritis have found crafts have stopped their fingers stiffing up even if they have it in their hands.

I know crafts have helped people with depression and anxiety. Think it's because when you are doing its absorbing and you only think about what you are doing.

My mom knitted from when she was 6 . Her dementia meant she couldn't understand patterns but for a few years I read the instructions out to her and she could still remember how to do the stitches. It upset her very much when she forgot how to do them. But my cross stitching gave her back an interest.

In a way Covid has brought people back to cross stitch and other crafts.

My grandson wants me to teach him to cross stitch but his 3.5 at the moment. He loves looking at my threads and what I am working on. But the gnome is a Christmas decoration for him so it's a surprise. Already done his brothers Christmas stocking just need to put it together.

Ali08 Sat 11-Sep-21 08:09:26

If anyone is interested, there is a lovely cross-stitch group on Facebook called
'Cross Stitch Friends in the UK'.
(It has actually expanded to worldwide now, but just kept the title).
They have sister groups for selling/buying, and for crochet etc.
Admin are Angie Clementson and Jules Roberts.

Sar53 Sat 11-Sep-21 08:54:10

Good morning Ali08, I will have a look at the Facebook group you mentioned.

My two large pieces of cross stitch are at the framers at the moment. When I receive them back I will post pictures.

My husband bought me a very complicated cross stitch kit for my birthday back in June, I have yet to start it.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures xx

Whiff Sat 18-Sep-21 16:35:11

Finally finished stitching the gnome. Just a door sign to make and I can assemble the things I have made for my grandsons .

Great news is my craft group starts this week after closing because of Covid. Can't wait to see if the old members will still be there and hopefully some new people to met.

Ali08 Sun 26-Sep-21 01:36:01

Sar53,
They do mentoring, too, so if you're stuck your mentor can help you along!
I haven't stitched since my mum died in 2018, but I still go in, usually to throw in the odd jokes I find that people might enjoy.
But, I have been considering it again as I kept my stitchy stuff, just in case. It's finding time to fit it in now, tho, as I decoupage, paint etc!

Sar53 Sun 26-Sep-21 09:09:44

Ali08 I have joined the group you mentioned.
My two pieces are ready to be collected from the framers but as I am staying at my daughter's at the moment will have to wait til I get home. I can't wait to see what they look like.
I've started the very large piece, bought for my birthday, but it takes ages just to do one line of a quarter of the picture. I think this will be a long term project.
I'm also knitting squares to make a second blanket, easy to do whilst watching tv.
I love seeing what everyone has been doing, cross stitch is so relaxing. I'm so glad that I 'found it'.

Whiff Sun 26-Sep-21 17:08:32

Finished my gnome for my 3.5 year old grandson. Hope he likes it.And a stocking and door hanger for his 10 month old brother. My older grandson had his stocking and hanger a couple of Christmas's ago.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 17:30:04

My attention has just been drawn to this forum by the latest post. I used to do some cross-stitch and have just been reading some posts. They reminded me that it might serve me to take it up again as it is indeed therapeutic and I've been very down of late because of health issues which have seemed to come one after another for myself and DH. There are some beautiful examples of all your handiwork so thankyou so much for sharing all of your pics. I love your Christmas stocking Whiff!

BlueBalou Sun 26-Sep-21 19:30:21

Many very talented stitchers here! I used to do counted cross stitch but my eyesight won’t let me now despite trying magnifiers and day lamps, sadly.
I prefer crochet and knitting socks now!

Whiff Sun 26-Sep-21 19:47:23

Sweetpeasue I started cross stitching to relieve the stress I was under at the time. I find it totally relaxing. From choosing a chart to picking colours and who it's for.

The stocking is made up of various charts out of cross stitch magazines.

I would suggest you buy a copy of The world of cross stitching or Cross Stitcher magazine. Each comes with a free kit with fabric and threads you just need cross stitch needle. Each is full of charts . The world of cross stitching has a larger letters page with pictures of people's work.

I buy all my threads and coloured Aida from Lakeside needlecraft but buy my white Aida off eBay from a British manufacturer.

Some on here have done beautiful work on even weave but I can't use it. I usually use 14ct Aida. I find for me a 6" spring load hoop best.

If you want to do some small things to start with some how about decorations for the Christmas tree. I used heavyweight iron interfacing to back them.

I find when I am stitching I totally relax and the time flies by.

Hope you give it ago again.

Sweetpeasue Sun 26-Sep-21 23:27:07

How kind of you to come back and give me that information Whiff
I will certainly have a look at the mag you suggested. Thankyou. I'm fairly new to Gransnet. By the looks of some forums, this seems the safest!

Sar53 Mon 27-Sep-21 05:59:30

Sweetpeasue this is by far the safest place to come, no arguing on this thread. Welcome to Gransnet. Xx

spottybook Mon 27-Sep-21 08:07:42

Whiff - excellent work, as always!

nanna8 Mon 27-Sep-21 08:11:26

I love crossstitch, too and it is lovely to see your work SAR. Lately I have been doing free style embroidery a là Quaker embroidery and enjoying that. Getting quite into it. Addictive.

Sweetpeasue Mon 27-Sep-21 13:38:53

Thankyou Whiff and Sar53 for the welcome. I think I might give it another go. Just managed to dig out something I did around 15 yrs ago so will see if I can post it.

Sweetpeasue Mon 27-Sep-21 13:49:40

I bought this little sampler from Hobby craft when I was with my husband who'd gone in for ink. It's much tinier than photo. It mentions 2 threads for some stitches. I really can't remember what I did so many yrs ago. Do I separate the strands?

Whiff Mon 27-Sep-21 15:31:14

spottybook thank you.

Sweetpeasue tree and animals are lovely. The owl does it say 2 different thread numbers to be used together. If so you use the same length of each thread. And thread both threads on your needle. And cross stitch as normal . I am naughty and knot them together so they stay together.

If it's just a normal cross stitch. Cut a length of thread from skein and take one of the 6 threads double over and thread the cut ends through your needle. And do a loop start . I will take a pic of some instructions and post it.