Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Cross stitch

(358 Posts)
Sar53 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:40:02

I'm blowing my own trumpet here but I am very proud of my first foray into cross stitch.
I have actually made three unicorns, two ballet dancers and one Harry Potter. These are for six of my granddaughters. I really hope they like them.

Ilovecheese Thu 26-Nov-20 14:44:54

Gosh you are very neat for a beginner! Your grandaughters will love them I am sure.

Grandmabatty Thu 26-Nov-20 14:50:14

They are lovely!

tanith Thu 26-Nov-20 15:23:59

Well done those are really cute I’m sure your Granddaughters will love them. I’ve recently got back into cross stitching but my eyesight isn’t what it was so I can only manage the ones with little holes and you count the holes I’m not sure what’s it’s called. I’ve started small with a book mark to see how I go, I need to do it in daylight preferably.

Puzzler61 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:27:53

They’re super! You did them really quickly Sar53.
I’m still cross-stitching a woodland animal cushion cover I started in April ?

Callistemon Thu 26-Nov-20 15:29:58

Very impressive.

My first attempts, making greetings cards, seemed to go sideways.

Puzzler61 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:35:49

tanith the bookmark is so pretty. I need good light to work in too.

travelnan Thu 26-Nov-20 15:43:23

That is so pretty Tanith. Your fabric is Aida. I too like cross stitch, have just finished a copy of a tapestry in a Dutch museum which was done in 1700. It was very complicated but I did it on linen. I am going to get it framed but hate to think what it will cost.

tanith Thu 26-Nov-20 16:26:20

Thanks I’m really enjoying it too which was the object of the exercise. Sar53 do you think you’ll carry on cross stitching?

Sar53 Thu 26-Nov-20 17:13:45

Tanith love the bookmark. It's very relaxing isn't it.
Oh yes I will carry on, I've just started a new one, a flowery wreath. Free from DMC.
I think I've found my creative niche. I knit, I'm knitting squares to make a blanket, so far I've knitted 56, a few more to go, but I really enjoy the cross stitch.
Travelnan could we see a picture of your tapestry ?
Thanks for all your kind comments.

tanith Thu 26-Nov-20 17:41:13

Sar53 I hadn’t heard of DMC or free patterns I’ve just had a look and they have some lovely ones. How does it work? Is done with stitch counting?

ginny Thu 26-Nov-20 17:47:30

Well done Sar53. They look lovely.

Anniebach Thu 26-Nov-20 17:48:27

If using Aida use easy count Aida, marked with lines every ten
stitches, the coloured lines wash out when you finish your work and wash and press .

Whiff Thu 26-Nov-20 17:56:29

I am addicted to cross stitch. Only started 4 years ago at 58. Wish I had done it 20 years before. But could never get my head around how little crosses make pictures. I usually use 14 count Aida have done 16 and 18. Tried evenweave hated it. The biggest piece I have done was a Triumph motorbike for my brother's 60th birthday. Done on antique 14 count Aida took me 3 months almost 28,000 stitches. I have to do at least a couple of hours a day. Made lots of things and friends and family like what I give them . I even enjoy the back stitching as it makes everything pop. Making Christmas decorations at the moment.

Whiff Thu 26-Nov-20 18:19:32

Sorry got so excited about a cross stitch thread forgot to say have beautiful the work shown was.

Sar53 Thu 26-Nov-20 19:25:36

As you have all been so complimentary about my efforts let us all see what everyone else has done. Over to you ???

Witzend Thu 26-Nov-20 19:30:26

They’re lovely, @Sar53!

Whiff Thu 26-Nov-20 19:52:39

Would love to but haven't got a clue how to do that it!

tanith Thu 26-Nov-20 20:15:55

Whiff do you have any photos of your work? on your mobile/pc/iPad whichever one you are are online with?

Mogsmaw Thu 26-Nov-20 20:29:37

@tanith, lovely job with the bookmark. I’m trying to see the brand but I’m sure I know the woman who did the sample on the pack. She is Fiona D-B, lovely lady but “not a morning person”!

tanith Thu 26-Nov-20 20:39:04

It’s Textile Heritage I got it from MariesCrossStitch co.

Mogsmaw Thu 26-Nov-20 21:30:01

Thought so, it’s one of hers.

tanith Thu 26-Nov-20 21:56:08

Well she did an excellent job, I’ve asked for two more as my secret Santa request.

Whiff Fri 27-Nov-20 08:23:13

Tanith I do have some on my phone. I haven't got the bike I will as my sister in law to what's app it me. I subscribe to 2 cross stitch magazines Cross stitcher and did to cross stitch crazy but they have stopped publishing it so transferred my subscription to its sister magazine the world of cross stitching. Both excellent magazines. I was published in the letters page of cross stitch crazy with a Christmas stocking I made my grandson. I didn't think my work was that good. Because you can't do it quickly I find it very relaxing. I will ask my daughter to show me how to post photos. But don't want to come over as bragging.

I buy my Adia fabric by the metre from eBay British made . My DMC threads from Lakeside needlecraft they are the cheapest. I have used kits but usually use the charts out if my magazines .

tanith Fri 27-Nov-20 09:45:46

Thanks for those tips Whiff I’ll take a look. No one will accuse you of bragging we’re just interested to see everyone’s work.