Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Banksy latest :)

(49 Posts)
bikergran Sat 12-Dec-20 11:02:14

What do you think?

Must learn how to do links!

Its a "mature" lady walking up a very steep the hill sneezing and her false teeth fly out hmm

CocoPops Sat 12-Dec-20 18:56:02

I love Banksy's work . This one made me think of the coronavirus.

lemongrove Sat 12-Dec-20 18:36:42

His art usually says something though.....this one is just a caricature of an old lady with false teeth, hardly a social comment.Is it supposed to be an old lady who is going down with coronavirus? Who knows.

Lucretzia Sat 12-Dec-20 18:35:51

I do like Banky. Love his work.

He's very welcome to come to my house. I promise not to divulge his identity.

I did read that his parents don't even know it's him. They think he's a painter and decorator.

That may be fake news but I rather like the thought

lemongrove Sat 12-Dec-20 18:34:35

I don’t think Banksy is all that good ( so agree with you FC)
But he has captured the public imagination over the years with his wall art, or rather the way it magically appears overnight.That’s his appeal, being mysterious.

lemongrove Sat 12-Dec-20 18:32:05

Sparklefizz

quizqueen

He should be done for vandalism like other graffitists!

Yeah ..... same goes for Michelangelo ... all those ceilings when a nice bit of magnolia would have looked better.

The difference is....the Sistine Chapel mural was commissioned!

LauraNorder Sat 12-Dec-20 18:17:50

Sparklefizz, Michelangelo comment so funny and spot on

BlueBelle Sat 12-Dec-20 18:00:04

I absolutely love Banksy and his artwork
Usually so cleverly used as play on words or politically thought provoking
Oh quizqueen !!!! He can ‘graffiti’ my whole house anytime
He’s one in a million
I loved the idea of the picture that destroyed itself after it sold for a lot of money

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Dec-20 17:46:25

SuzannahM ??

bikergran Sat 12-Dec-20 17:32:59

Laura smile

SuzannahM Sat 12-Dec-20 15:58:43

JaxJacky I agree.

He's welcome to my garage door if he needs a new space to work. I'll even leave him some mince pies and a glass of whisky for a nocturnal visit.

Sparklefizz Sat 12-Dec-20 15:39:37

quizqueen

Yeah ..... same goes for Michelangelo ... all those ceilings when a nice bit of magnolia would have looked better.

25Avalon Sat 12-Dec-20 14:39:54

According to Bristol Post it was the tenant who moved out 7 days ago who put the Perspex in with anti theft screws. He said it was lying around his workshop so can’t think it cost much. The cost will be the alarm. The house is owned by an older lady whose son was on local radio.

Auntieflo Sat 12-Dec-20 14:37:15

When DS1 was about 11, he painted a lovely Snoopy character on our garage door. It was the summer holidays, and kept him busy for a couple of days. It was actually very good, and we kept it for a couple of years.

One of our neighbours complained, because they didn't like looking at it! It was out of character for her, and I think she must have had a bad day.

So I'm glad that Banksy wasn't around them, or they would have complained about his art work.

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Dec-20 14:35:28

I love Banksy, both the art and the delivery of it, a bit like Santa leaving presents in the night!

Callistemon Sat 12-Dec-20 14:14:33

Oldwoman70

Just to rectify a previous post - the owners have not pulled out of the sale of the property, they and their buyers have agreed to postpone exchange of contracts but the sale will be going ahead.

The owners son was on local radio this morning and stated that far from making money at the moment it is costing them money as they have had to have perspex and an alarm installed to protect it.

Oldwoman70 it was me

I was quoting the ITV report - I said we ought to wait for the BBC one
tchgrin

LauraNorder Sat 12-Dec-20 14:08:29

Bikergran, I love your sketch, I think I’m second from the front but I wish the rest had remembered to socially distance themselves.
I’m a Banks fan, for no other reason than I think it’s a bit of fun although often there’s an underlying social message.

Moonlight113 Sat 12-Dec-20 14:07:20

I think it would've been funnier if the thing sneezed out had been a coronavirus.

Blossoming Sat 12-Dec-20 14:04:29

I would not be happy to have the walls of my house defaced.

25Avalon Sat 12-Dec-20 14:00:46

There is a photo on Banksy’s website I believe off the wall mural and a man lying on the ground with his umbrella inside out. It looks just as if the sneeze has knocked him over.

Moonlight113 Sat 12-Dec-20 13:55:30

If that really is Banksy I would say, "sod off Banksy". It's ageist and cruel. And I usually like Banksy's stuff.

Jane10 Sat 12-Dec-20 13:44:46

Art is art. It's an artist's view of something. Accurate and exact representations of people or objects is photographic. To me that's boring. Just my opinion. Banksy's work is interesting. Whimsical but often with a bit of bite to it.

quizqueen Sat 12-Dec-20 13:30:19

Sparklefizz Sat 12-Dec-20 13:25:07

FannyCornforth

Sparklefizz are you going to follow me all over this forum finding fault?
Op did ask readers what they thoughttchconfused

Fanny What's the matter with you? You had a go at me on the BW thread yesterday, now here. Have you forgotten to take your pills?

Oldwoman70 Sat 12-Dec-20 13:23:37

Just to rectify a previous post - the owners have not pulled out of the sale of the property, they and their buyers have agreed to postpone exchange of contracts but the sale will be going ahead.

The owners son was on local radio this morning and stated that far from making money at the moment it is costing them money as they have had to have perspex and an alarm installed to protect it.

cornishpatsy Sat 12-Dec-20 13:07:22

I am not a fan of the style of artwork or the hype around the identity of the artist.