Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Is anyone good at water colours and can advise??

(65 Posts)
HeyHo Thu 17-Dec-20 22:43:44

I started going to a class just before lockdown closed it all..

I am a graphic artist by training in the olden days, but now work as a genealogist - but find water colours great fun.

My techniques are rather hit and miss though!!!

Family have bought me:-

Water colour pencils which are a mystery
Block water colour paints -which I like
Water colour pens - slightly mysterious
Water colour tubes - why do they flake?

then

what sort of paper weight is best?
Some textured ones tend to come slightly apart when wet -

I have loads of brushes of all sorts

I like landscapes

I like birds but can only paint them when they face left......

There we are then - lots of queries

and basically.........HELP!!

Hejira Fri 18-Dec-20 11:35:46

It's worth pointing out that watercolour pencils can vary greatly in how they perform. This very long video but very comprehensive test of 26 brands is definitely worth a look:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y44Dfwj7Lgw

Greyduster Fri 18-Dec-20 11:43:55

I get good results with Fabre-Castell water colour pencils. And never be without Payne’s Grey in your paintbox!

nadateturbe Fri 18-Dec-20 11:50:38

Thats very good Antonia. Perhaps I'll have a look at the course.

Tweedle24 Fri 18-Dec-20 12:13:58

I learnt a lot on painting holidays with the artist Frank Halliday. He is currently doing demos on Fb.

He taught us to buy the best paint we could afford and leave the ‘student paints’ on the shelf. He never uses ready mixed greens or black.

I have never come across the flaking you describe.

Water colour pencils are also useful for detailing on water colour paintings.

The advice to buy heavy weight paper is good, as is the stretching, although a good quality heavy paper does not need it. I have never heard of masking tape being discouraged. It leaves a lovely border around the paper. It is also useful for long straight lines, like horizons. Don’t leave it too long though.

SAA as mentioned, is useful. Their catalogue is a treasure chest of paints and accessories and the magazine contains a wealth of useful lessons.

I wondered if the paper shredding is to do with the brushes you are using? Just a thought.

Good luck and enjoy. It is a wonderful hobby!

Antonia Fri 18-Dec-20 12:14:46

Thank you Nadateturbe I posted it to show that anyone can do it by following the course - I'm not good at art, or a natural artist. I've left the course now but may rejoin as I'm running out of things to do. Except for watching Netflix every day.

NfkDumpling Fri 18-Dec-20 13:41:46

I've never heard about not using masking tape. What else would you use?

I'm pants at getting washes right but usually end up with something interesting. Have you tried cling film over washes? Stretched or scrumpled and left to dry? Then there's salt and candle wax....

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 14:08:23

I've never heard about not using masking tape. What else would you use?
There is apparently an artists' tape, I'd never heard of it until I just looked online.
Probably not much different from masking tape but more expensive.

I never had a problem with masking tape.

Greyduster Fri 18-Dec-20 14:25:59

Artist suppliers sell a brown gummed paper tape you have to wet. Frankly it’s awful. Masking tape is better. But don’t use cheap asking tape or it pulls away as the paper dries.

GeorgyGirl Fri 18-Dec-20 15:34:41

Regarding water colour pencils, I would certainly recommend Caran d'ache, they are expensive, but worth it.

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 16:47:52

Greyduster

Artist suppliers sell a brown gummed paper tape you have to wet. Frankly it’s awful. Masking tape is better. But don’t use cheap asking tape or it pulls away as the paper dries.

I agree.

Yes, I remember, someone gave me some gummed tape to try and it was awful

Jane10 Fri 18-Dec-20 16:58:00

Any more of you wiling to share a pic of your work? That rose was lovely.

HeyHo Fri 18-Dec-20 18:34:59

Antonia - that rose is brilliant!!!! Just love all the help I am getting on here. I did a small landscape this afternoon, which I am going to frame in a mount intended for 3 photos - it looks quite interesting and I will give it to a friend for Christmas - possibly!!

Greyduster Fri 18-Dec-20 19:02:56

I have a couple hanging; the rest are in the deep dark recesses of the loft! The one with two fishing boats is of Dunwich Beach in Suffolk, without the dome of Sizewell Power Station on the headland (artistic license!); the other is a boat yard on a misty River Esk in Whitby. It was probably the only time I heeded the lesson “less is more”. I like boats but I don’t paint them that well. Sorry about the reflections. I can’t paint flowers but admire those who can, Antonia.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Dec-20 19:18:02

Greyduster they are superb. Especially the Whitby one.
Well done you.

Callistemon Fri 18-Dec-20 19:25:13

They are excellent Greyduster

HeyHo Fri 18-Dec-20 22:29:08

Greyduster - Yes, I just love those paintings, very well done indeed. I have a lot to aspire to.....

Greyduster Fri 18-Dec-20 22:31:33

Yes but you didn’t see all the ones I chucked in the bin!!

HeyHo Fri 18-Dec-20 22:31:35

cling film, salt, candle wax - oh goodness! This is getting very interesting indeed - I am going to try the cling film tomorrow and see what happens.....

Antonia Sat 19-Dec-20 10:34:31

Greyduster you are so talented! These are beautiful.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Dec-20 11:33:00

Greyduster
They really are very, very good tchsmilethanks
(And I'm a very harsh critic.
Last week I got chased off a thread about Banksy; I pointed out that he couldn't draw for toffee.
Apparently 'art is art', tchconfused.
Well that told me!)

Alexa Sat 19-Dec-20 11:46:52

I would paint with water colours if I were not so lazy about stretching the paper.

Alexa Sat 19-Dec-20 11:49:50

I like wet on wet, and then when dry put in the details with a liner brush or pen.

Greyduster Sat 19-Dec-20 12:09:24

It’s surprising how your tastes change though. The sort of conventional landscapes that hang in our home at present, good as they are (not mine, I hasten to add!) no longer represent the sort of pictures I enjoy looking at. Pre-covid, we had a couple of annual art exhibitions in our city and over the years, the standard of work has gone off the scale. Always something new; some new technique, medium, way of looking at a subject..... thought provoking and aspirational. It’s worth seeking these exhibitions out to look at technique and what can be achieved often with a limited palette and a minimum of brushwork. Nothing like getting up close and personal with a picture.?

Greyduster Sat 19-Dec-20 12:19:13

Alexa try and get your hands on some 200lb Bockingford. You shouldn’t have to stretch that.

Meer13511 Sat 19-Dec-20 12:24:54

I like good quality tubes of water colours and paint brushes. Paper weight 140 lb - 300 g per square metre