Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What are you interested in right now?

(100 Posts)
JennyNotFromTheBlock Thu 14-Jan-21 06:43:29

May I ask you what your hobby is? I find myself being interested in different things, but I lose interest after several months of being into something, so I go through hobbies rather quickly. Right now I'm interested in photo montage learning and also got a book on coding (the one for beginners, of course, it just seems interesting to me to try). What are your current hobby or are you more stable and been doing something for a long time already?

Summer1 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:56:20

Hi KerryS, I noticed you have pen palling as one of your hobbies. I like writing letters and wondered if you could tell me which site you used to look for pen pals? : ) Thank you ?

Moggycuddler Sat 16-Jan-21 10:07:32

Video gaming! My daughter let me have a go on her PS4 a couple of years ago, and wow, is it addictive! It's also supposed to be good for the brain because it improves concentration, faster reflexes, co-ordination, and strategy skills. Currently playing Assassins Creed Origins, set in Ancient Egypt. I like the games with good story and characters. Are there any other gaming grannies out there? Not many at my age seem to be into it!

Dorset Sat 16-Jan-21 10:08:20

My grandson bought me a Xmas gift “The book of me” fantastic book similar to ones life story. I suppose one day he and sister may enjoy reading lots of different stuff about their Nan ? it’s certainly kept me occupied and I am only a few pages in.

lolarabbit Sat 16-Jan-21 10:22:28

Oooh, I love this thread as I am always looking for new craft projects to try. I was just listening to Joan Bakewell on Radio4 and she described herself as a 'flitter' and that is me down to a tee! At the moment I am dabbling with learning to paint in acrylics, needle felting, quilting, cross stitch and learning to code in Python. You tube videos are my friend! In the evenings I tend to return to knitting as it's the only thing I'm competent enough to be able to do without too much concentration. Like Whitewave2 I am also knitting a Scandi style blanket. I think someone asked about a pattern; the one I'm doing is from a Deramores pattern. I'll try and attach a link.
www.deramores.com/products/scandinavian-christmas-winter-knitted-blanket-kit-and-pattern-in-deramores-yarn

Fernhillnana Sat 16-Jan-21 10:28:37

Oooo I’d love to see your pattern for that. I have a Swedish DiL so might have a go.

Fernhillnana Sat 16-Jan-21 10:34:59

I’ve just started a 4 week course on children’s literature from York University. It’s from Futurelearn.com. I’ve only been at it for a week but I’ve already learnt a lot and it’s really making me think. I keep up with languages on duolingo, currently revising Italian. And the usual knitting, sewing, DIY and gardening.

billericaylady Sat 16-Jan-21 10:39:35

Hello there
Mine is Ancestory..currently I'm looking at Butlers,Wrights,Reardons,Thackers in the Hackney and Islington areas of London ...I was born to older parents (40 and48) so didnt really know any family.My Grandmother died in 1927 when My Mum was 2 from an abortion which I knew about.My Dads parents were in and out of Londons work houses...My Dad was a Japanese pow ...Some discoveries so terribly sad but I'm finding it facinating and it while away the hours ♡

Whiff Sat 16-Jan-21 10:56:52

Just made 8lb of lime and lemon marmalade. Most of that will go to family and friends will only keep one jar for me. Got lemons to make into marmalade another day. My daughter is getting me 3 Kg of Seville oranges. I had ordered them from Sainsbury's but they didn't have any so sent ordinary oranges they went back. The whole bungalow smells of citrus lovely.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 11:02:02

I'm not at all crafty, but I found this by chance, and wish one of the crafty grans would consider giving it a go.

youtu.be/F6guChlumcs

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Jan-21 11:08:41

Trying new never cooked before recipes.
No disasters to report YET.

buylocal Sat 16-Jan-21 11:16:57

I think 'going through hobbies quickly' is a great approach. It means you just keep on learning new skills - and the best antidotes to poor mental health are being in nature and learning.

cassandra264 Sat 16-Jan-21 11:21:38

I'm a scribbler BUT I do wish I could be a crafty gran too. I am rubbish at creating things things other than on the computer or in the kitchen. Everyone I know who can knit/sew/crochet etc. and do this well, seems to have learned from able mothers and grandmothers keen to pass on their skills. Is this true of all of you, or am I just making excuses?

jacalpad Sat 16-Jan-21 11:38:32

What a wonderfully clever lot you are!! I have been making scrubs bags and a couple of sets of scrubs for my local ICU. I have also made about 150 masks for family and friends. Currently making drawstring bags for the patients to put their belongings in. A nurse asked for them as she said they have had problems with the plastic ones going missing and things being lost. She thinks fabric ones may work better. I bought lots of different spotted fabrics to use. I like knitting small and simple things. I would really love to have a go at embroidery - you have all inspired me to give it a go. Thank you!

lolarabbit Sat 16-Jan-21 11:48:32

Cassandra264 - I did have a mum and a nan who were both very able dressmakers; I am totally useless on that front and have taken up quilting as a means of making use of the three sewing machines I inherited! They did teach me basic knitting and crochet too but I cannot now crochet now without following a tutorial! I have also tried to pass on knitting skills to my DD and have failed spectacularly. I think I was not really interested for many years and so forgot most if what I learnt, so I am far less competent than those who have kept it up over the years. However, learning again is fun and there are so many online resources available now, and reasonably cheap starter kits, that there has never been a better time to give things a try if you are interested. My daughter (the 'totally useless at knitting' one) has discovered a talent for macrame instead. Now there's a 1970's craft that is making a lockdown resurgence!
Interested what sort of 'scribbling' you do - is it journalling or are you writing for a specific project?

Happysexagenarian Sat 16-Jan-21 12:12:29

Like others here I have numerous interests, mostly creative ones.
Currently machine quilting is my passion and I'm hoping to get a quilting and embroidery machine sometime this year.
I've also been cutting wooden toys and jigsaws on DH's scroll saw. It was my present to him for Christmas but he knew I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off it. I've never used one before but it's not too difficult and great fun.
I have two kits that I was given that I plan to complete this year. One is a paint-by-numbers canvas and the other a needle felted rabbit.
And if I get bored with all those things I can delve into my Family History research, which I've been doing for about 20 years, and try to break down some of the 'brick walls' I've come up against.
Then of course there's cardmaking, bag making, jewellery making, drawing and upcycling bits of old furniture.......
Yeah I think I can find plenty to occupy me this year. Can't guarantee I'll do any housework though!!

I firmly believe everyone is creative in some way. It might be creating delicious recipes for family meals, or being able to combine paint colours and fabrics for a room, or simply doodling funny characters for your GC. You just have to find your niche, and remember there's not a right or wrong way to do anything creative, what evolves from a 'mistake' is what makes it creative and unique.

rocketstop Sat 16-Jan-21 12:17:40

Dorsetcupcake61

I've been a keen knitter and card maker for years. I knitted a lot of projects for gifts last year. My most recent hobby is diamond/crystal art. It is without doubt the most soothing and relaxing hobby I have ever taken up.
I have had a very pretty fleeting kit for about a year that I must try. When I have seen people do it they make it look so easy, I have visions of producing an unrecognizable blob. I would love to hear how others totally new to felting got on.

Hi,
I had a felting kit from Hobbycraft, left it in the cupboard for about a year, then started it during first lockdown. It was a really easy and soothing hobby, and soon took shape, it was a cat, the trouble came to me when trying to fashion the face of it, so mine looks a bit more like a Teddy Bear than a cat, but for a first attempt it really wasn't bad, you will find it so soothing, therapeutic and addictive.
I am currently card making and decoupaging.

Diggingdoris Sat 16-Jan-21 12:22:58

Zentangling? I hadn't heard of that before but after watching some youtube classes I really fancy having a go. It's very relaxing to watch and for someone like me that can't draw for toffees I might be able to create something interesting.
It will make a change from knitting, sewing reading etc.

Glasgo Sat 16-Jan-21 12:54:02

I had a go at pebble painting. Used some acrylic paints I had and then varnished them. Can be put in the garden, or indoors and can be given as gifts. I googled subject for ideas, so easy.

Vintagegirl Sat 16-Jan-21 13:00:19

Some great posts here, thank you! I am looking for something new to do at home. One problem is with 'lockdown', the craft shops are closed. I would love to make a embroidery sampler such as one done for my daughter when born. Even the design would be a challenge. Yes Youtube is a fantastic, nothing better than ordinary people showing you how to do things. And the comments at the end are great too. I have made things for old folk such as fiddle muffs and zimmer frame caddies but no great response from places I donated to. I am surprised to be making facemasks again as requested by daughter and her friends. There is a lot of poor quality ones about now. I did get decent supplies eventually of good elastic and metal nose pieces and surprised self by ordering cotton fabric online! I have made soap and marmalade from a tin of Seville oranges augmented with extra lemon/lime. I am thinking of getting a digital piano keyboard..... a few lessons as a teenager.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:01:25

Love your cat quilt vegansrock as it looks so jolly and jolly well put together too.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 16-Jan-21 13:06:52

I've been a crafter and many-interests person for donkey's years, current unfinished symphonies are: bobbin lace (making several yards to trim some clothing), play the piano most days, crochet, kumihimo, cross stitch, reading (I have the complete set of books for Outlander to start on).
I have done needlefelting - animal figures and a couple of scenic pieces.
I have a couple of dolls houses and love making things for those.
I have a kit to start of a small box room of a Linisfarne type church/monks room, complete with lighting.
I also enjoy card making and will probably do a few of those in the next few weeks.
Just started to learn tatting in the last few days. I'm struggling a bit with that, as I have a deformed hand, but hey, if I can play the piano, ride a motorcycle and all the other stuff, I'm hopeful of finding a way to do that.
That's all the winter/indoors activities, so in the summer it's gardening, caravanning, walking in the woods round the caravan site, swimming (once pools are open again), motorcycling and going to bike shows and meets, and any of the indoor crafts which are transportable out into the caravan or feasible to take to the caravan.
I'm retired now and have no idea how I ever found time to go to work!

lizzypopbottle Sat 16-Jan-21 13:14:38

Covered the seat cushions and then the scatter cushions clashed so I did those too.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Jan-21 13:50:37

Some beautiful works of art. Clever ladies !

I did take up Chinese art at one time and bought all the accutriments to go with it as I enjoyed it so much. Drawing and painting appleblossoms and generally turning them into patterns----which would have looked lovely on material.
The trees and some scenes looked alright too.
I don't know whatever became of any of it, very likely lost with moving sad I had a few things go missing.

tictacnana Sat 16-Jan-21 14:12:58

Painting. I like to paint memories of my childhood in the 50s and 60s . I find it very relaxing and cathartic. I have learned to sew and make fancy dress costumes for GC and can make cushions and curtains or alter/ mend things. Also, quite keen on recycling and painting furniture. Lots of DIY planned for the warmer weather so that I can take my new sander outside and , of course, gardening .

Joesoap Sat 16-Jan-21 14:22:05

Please can you tell me what Swedish blankets are please I have lived in Sweden for fifty years and never heard of them!