Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting socks

(31 Posts)
Pixieboots Sat 23-Jan-21 13:55:45

Is it really difficult to knit socks? I have it in my mind that I'd like to knit some socks but not sure that I am skilled enough for the heel part. Any advice would be appreciated.

Auntieflo Sat 06-Feb-21 12:23:55

These are the socks that I made for my GGS, they are knitted from the top down to the toe.
I posted them at the beginning if the week, and just hope they fit him, but they will do for welly socks.

Pixieboots Sun 14-Feb-21 04:00:18

Thank you for all your replies. I wasnt watching the thread so wasnt aware there were more replies. Cant sleep so going to google your recommendations.

Nanabanana1 Sun 14-Feb-21 09:07:49

Another one here to recommend winickmum web site have knitted several pairs of socks using her patterns and advice.
Happy knitting.

Nanabelle Thu 18-Feb-21 00:40:13

Winwickmum for me too. The instructions are very clear and I've used the small circular needle. I love that you can make them actually to fit your feet - being a size 8, I find that the one size socks just don't fit me! The self patterning/striping sock yarns are brilliant.

CanadianGran Thu 18-Feb-21 01:09:16

Have done socks. I'm not the most talented knitter, but my socks have turned out well. The heel is tricky the first time, but follow the pattern and you'll be fine. Self patterning yarn makes it fun, and because they are a smaller project they are done in a reasonable amount of time, and easy to transport if you knit on the go. (impossible now I know, but I have knit a sock on a long car voyage)

I was worried that hand knit socks would not wear well, but they do! I have some that have lasted years.