Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

The Great British Sewing Bee

(54 Posts)
Millie22 Sat 03-Apr-21 17:12:55

Sewing Bee is back! next week I think ??

LauraNorder Thu 22-Apr-21 20:27:59

I’m with you on that DanniRae the blue spotted dress with red buttons was lovely.
I agree the right one went, sadly she did mess up on all the challenges.
I did think the garment of the week was very elegant.

DanniRae Thu 22-Apr-21 19:54:34

I loved the navy dress with white spots and red buttons. I think the right one went this week!

Millie22 Wed 21-Apr-21 22:07:35

Some nice dresses this week but all those buttonholes would be difficult to do.

Purplepixie Sat 17-Apr-21 11:32:54

Patrick has definitely got better looking, very yummy!

Nandalot Thu 15-Apr-21 15:59:30

So pleased it is back!
I was sorry to see the losing contestant go as she looked fun, but I think it was the right decision as the other contender pulled it out of the hat with the final dress. I am seriously impressed that so many of the contestants managed to finish their dresses so beautifully with all the gathering the different tiers entailed. Even in my sewing days I couldn’t have made one in five hours!

NotAGran55 Thu 15-Apr-21 15:43:38

A great start to a great show . Some of the dresses were beautiful, and I didn’t know they were buffet dresses either.
Did anyone I wonder?

henetha Thu 15-Apr-21 10:24:49

I had never heard of Buffet dresses, but weren't they lovely!
This is a great programme, including Joe. I just love it all.

grannyactivist Thu 15-Apr-21 10:00:58

It’s very rare that I watch a TV show live, but last night I was free to watch the final of Masterchef and then for dessert I treated myself to the Sewing Bee. It was delicious!

I watched on my iPad with headphones on and my husband, across the room, was intrigued to know what on earth there was, in a programme about sewing of all things, that caused me to rock with laughter. ???

JessK Thu 15-Apr-21 09:52:06

Great first episode. A really diverse set of contestants and no sign of an obviously winner. Roll on next Wednesday. Can't wait.

Beechnut Thu 15-Apr-21 09:50:17

I’ve seen those dresses but never knew they had a name. In fact I have a pattern for one that came free with a magazine.
For me whether I like their garments has a lot to do with the pattern on the fabric.

I’m glad they did those first tops this week as it’s given me an idea for a dress I want to make which doesn’t have regular facings.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:45:29

Loved Patrick’s reaction to a couple of the makes. It is the first time I think I’ve seen him really relax and show what he thinks.

LauraNorder Thu 15-Apr-21 09:43:22

I too have a buffet dress, who knew.
Now that it has a name I might wear it today.
I agree that the right one went. The chap who did so badly with the top and then the Tshirt challenge redeemed himself with his dress.
Looking forward to next week, can’t come soon enough with only Line of Duty to relieve the tv boredom in between. Thank goodness for sunshine and gardening.

Grammaretto Thu 15-Apr-21 09:37:24

I was a tinsy bit disappointed. The fabrics were not very beautiful and the contestants seemed underwhelmed. It can only improve.
I have a buffet dress (no waist/flattering) but never knew it had a name!!

Parsley3 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:26:50

I love this programme and I am so pleased that it is back. Patrick and Esme are a great double act and Joe is good at chatting up the contestants.

Greyduster Thu 15-Apr-21 09:19:18

I don’t think it’s going to be hard to weed out the also rans in this series, but it got off to a good start. Some of those dresses were lovely. They made me ache to be taller!

Grandmajean Thu 15-Apr-21 08:28:30

Love it ! I hadn't heard of a buffet dress either. Patrick is very easy on the eye and Joe is so funny. Like Esme too. P was beside himself laughing at the "risque" concoctions. They all seem to get on so well.

Millie22 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:20:23

Such a great start to the series. I'd never heard of a 'buffet' dress.

Grandmabatty Wed 14-Apr-21 22:05:17

That should say sew, not see. Good grief. I'm not keen on Damian but he might grow on me. The right person went.

Grandmabatty Wed 14-Apr-21 21:00:57

I'm ready. I can't see but looking forward to Esme, Joe and Patrick

Millie22 Wed 14-Apr-21 20:42:00

It's nearly time ...

Dinahmo Tue 13-Apr-21 14:47:25

My OH and I always watch this and the pottery and bake off. There's no bitchiness or one upmanship and the contestants help and support each other. Patrick and Esme work well together and he has been loosening up over the past few series. And I love his dog.

I wish the tv programmers would take us oldies into account a bit more. I agree with JustMe most of the quiz shows are dire. My latest betes noire are the travel programmes fronted by a celebrity - so many travelling around the UK recently. I much prefer academics talking about their subjects with true knowledge.

Many years ago the Beeb repeated Lord Clark's Civilisation and it prompted me to go to Asissi because it showed a view of the city from the plain of Angels. We never did get to see that view but we did get there before the earthquake.

LauraNorder Tue 13-Apr-21 14:37:52

? ? ? yey.
Can’t wait. I’m another who can’t sew, throw pots or paint portraits or landscapes but enjoy watching all the very talented and creative amateurs striving to win.

shysal Tue 13-Apr-21 14:33:05

For those who enjoy craft programmes, there is a jewellers' contest starting tonight at 8pm on BBC2 called All That Glitters.

Purplepixie Tue 13-Apr-21 12:39:26

Yah! I love the programme and it gives me inspiration to get the sewing machine out.

GillT57 Mon 05-Apr-21 13:20:54

I do like this programme, and Patrick especially. I like a well groomed, turned out man. His suits........