Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Crocheted throw

(51 Posts)
Purplepixie Sat 23-Oct-21 11:44:14

Hi all

I haven’t been around for a while.

Here is the corner to corner throw which I have just finished crocheting for my sitting. The room was in need of brightening up.

Hope you all have stayed well and free from Covid.

Stay safe and do take care. ?

aggie Sat 23-Oct-21 19:15:33

The crochet throws are lovely and warm , I’m doing one and it’s keeping me warm , what excuse can I use when I finish it ? ?

JaneJudge Sat 23-Oct-21 19:30:49

Oh Callistemon, t's gorgeous smile

JaneJudge Sat 23-Oct-21 19:31:14

oh and yours aggie smile you clever ladies

Callistemon Sat 23-Oct-21 19:48:03

Thanks!
I am a crochet newbie hence the experiments.

Callistemon Sat 23-Oct-21 19:49:16

Lovely, aggie, you are more advanced than me!

That's the problem with squares, they're too small to keep you warm.

ginny Sat 23-Oct-21 20:04:42

PollyTickle that is a lovely tribute to your friend.
Gorgeous blankets everyone.

aggie Sat 23-Oct-21 20:56:00

Thank you for your kind remarks ! I can’t be bothered doing squares , too much joining and I am lazy ! Squares are very beautiful!

Witzend Sun 24-Oct-21 10:53:49

Absolutely lovely blankets, everybody!
Callistemon, did you join them with crochet? It looks very professionally done.

The joining is what puts me off making blankets in squares. I can’t do crochet so I’m sure my joining would look messy.

Hence current super-stashbuster blanket of 220 sts in g st rows of double DK, random colours, on a 5 mm circular needle. Plus the odd row of single chunky.
Doing it in 3 x 2 foot sections, but only 10 inches of the first done so far. Planning to join them with 4 row bands, same as I did for a smaller one in single DK for Gdcs.

No ends to sew in, but turning all the ends into nice neat tassels does take quite a while.
And I went wrong at one point and did a P row, didn’t notice for a few rows (mindless TV knitting) but it doesn’t really show.

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 11:05:13

Callistemon, did you join them with crochet? It looks very professionally done.

It's the first time I've crocheted squares together, Witzend and after trying a couple of different methods which I then ripped out! I found this one by 'Hooked by Robin'.
She is British but uses American terminology for some reason, so a double crochet is a British treble.
It was quite soothing and enjoyable.

Hooked by Robin
How to Crochet the Continuous Join As You Go (CJAYG) Method | Granny Square Joining | How to Join
1 Feb 2019

Purplepixie Sun 24-Oct-21 11:16:04

Thank you for all of your kind word. I love all of your crochet squares and throws. I have done several in the past with squares but found the sewing together really tedious even though they look great once they are done. I am really into the corner to corner throws at the moment and I have just started a baby blanket for a friend’s daughter’s new baby. I’ll post it once its finished. Take care and stay safe. ?

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 11:32:14

I really dislike sewing up (ask *Witzend ?) but crocheting the squares together was enjoyable, Purplepixie.

Perhaps I'll try corner to corner after I finish a squares one for myself. It's not quite so random!

Maya1 Sun 24-Oct-21 11:44:23

These throws and blankets are absolutely beautiful and you modest ladies should be really proud of them. The designs are gorgeous.
I just wish I could do something like this.

Witzend Sun 24-Oct-21 12:11:36

I’m (almost) tempted, Callistemon to tell you to send your poor forlorn, unloved little figures to me - a perfect excuse for not cracking on with the overdue housework blitz!

Mind you, I had forgotten until yesterday that I still have one shepherd’s crook to make, and those 2 fiddling little twisted cord things for their head cloths, which are my excuse for not cracking on this morning. ?

Auntieflo Sun 24-Oct-21 13:02:19

Oh, I made one 7 years ago, but now an wondering what on earth I have done with it.
Here is GS trying it out, and he is now 7, so I know how old it is/ was.

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 13:05:54

Witzend ? they're quite happy, snoozing away under the stairs

Lovely, Auntflo ?
And the blanket is lovely too!

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 24-Oct-21 14:20:43

Well we are a talented lot on here, really enjoyed seeing all your crafting ladies, so lovely and well done everyone!

Witzend Sun 24-Oct-21 14:21:41

What a lovely pic, AuntieFlo! Both baby and blanket!

BTW Callistemon, I just finished the crook and the fiddling little twisted cords, phew.

JaneJudge Sun 24-Oct-21 14:22:11

aww look at that little baby in a gorgeous blanket smile

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 14:35:27

Well done, Witzend

Purplepixie Wed 27-Oct-21 11:55:58

Thank you to everyone. Keep up the great work. ?

MiniMoon Wed 27-Oct-21 13:46:18

My husband bought me this aran weight yarn from Aldi's middle aisle wool event a couple of years ago. I set myself a challenge and learnt how to do tunisian entrelac crochet. I keep the blanket in the living room to throw over my knees when I'm feeling a little chilly.

Hithere Wed 27-Oct-21 14:56:00

Minimoon
That is so gorgeous!

Truly smart person to learn entrelac by yourself, it is not easy!

PollyTickle Wed 27-Oct-21 16:01:01

What a beautiful baby Auntieflo in such a deep and peaceful sleep.
Lots of lovely offerings on here. If I’ve learnt anything it is that there is a difference between crocheting and knitting. I have never attempted to crochet and now see what I’m missing.

Ali08 Fri 12-Nov-21 13:43:48

I cannot fathom out how I crocheted at school, I'll have to get my daughters friend to show me one day.
But, the other day I accidentally found a video on YouTube and have been practicing 'Tunisian knitting', although they call it knitting it's done on a crochet hook!
At the rate I'm going, my granddaughter may have a couple of new things for her Barbies by Christmas. And by that, I mean blankets! ??
Front & back views.

Ali08 Fri 12-Nov-21 13:47:04

I know the hook is too big, but I had to find thin wool to put on my fatter hook to enable me to see where I'd been going wrong. I'd started off with a chain of 18, and ended up with 38.
Nope, I do not know either!