Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Kids gifts to Grandparents

(155 Posts)
Grammy666 Fri 22-Apr-22 17:37:55

Does anyone else feel the same as I do about handmade stuff being given to us from our Grandchildren ? At first I was delighted and put up the paintings, plonky wonky pottery plates, and other attempts but after a few years the novelty has worn off and I have to pretend how much I love these things .. Just give me some soap, second hand book, charity shop gift but please I don't want rubbish , am I odd ?

GagaJo Fri 22-Apr-22 17:40:25

Yes, afraid so.

I love getting stuff from my GS. Obviously, most of it I don't keep (learned my lesson with that from my DD), but I don't need 'stuff' so am happy to see things he's spent time making.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 17:43:42

I've got a big box (not cardboard, leatherette) which everything goes into.
Programmes from school, cards, home-made wonky stuff eg vases, although some is on a shelf in the kitchen.

If they want to dispose of it all one day they can.

wildswan16 Fri 22-Apr-22 17:49:25

So you would prefer them to walk into a shop and spend some money. Rather than spend time, effort and care to produce something really special that they can give you.

I know which one I would prefer.

Have a set place in the house where you display the last three items - when the next one arrives, one of the others gets put into a "keep safe box". What you do with the items in the box is your business, but as far as the children know they are being kept because you love them.

varian Fri 22-Apr-22 18:46:20

I think these wonky home made gifts are the best possible gifts. Why would you prefer a bar of soap bought with their parents money?

I also absolutely love home made cards - so much nicer than bought ones.

Esspee Fri 22-Apr-22 18:55:01

I love all the items made by their little hands. I couldn’t care less about items purchased unless they are purchased by them with their money and thought for what I would enjoy e.g. wildflower seeds.

crazyH Fri 22-Apr-22 19:03:47

I love their little handmade stuff - I have kept a few in my memory box. I have my daughter’s little dress (she is 52) and a couple of things of my sons ….

Witzend Fri 22-Apr-22 19:14:28

I love anything they’ve made.
And this has been on the front of our fridge for ages.

LOUISA1523 Fri 22-Apr-22 19:15:33

Yes you are odd ?

Blondiescot Fri 22-Apr-22 19:51:38

Definitely odd. I think most grandparents would love to have gifts made by their grandchildren, however 'wonky' they might be.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 19:55:45

The wooden token that DGD made me for Mothering Sunday a few years ago is still hanging in the kitchen.
Apparently she insisted she didn't need help with spelling my name (yes she did!) but I prefer her spelling ?

lixy Fri 22-Apr-22 20:23:19

Hardest part of moving house was leaving behind the bird box GS made and the bug hotel they spent hours constructing.

Sara1954 Fri 22-Apr-22 20:45:22

I keep a few special things.
Nursery teacher gave me a handful of youngest granddaughters drawings today when I picked her up, I dropped them into the recycling in the way in.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Apr-22 21:04:23

Odd handmade gifts from children and grandchildren are absolutely irreplaceable and worth more than anything bought.

Grannybags Fri 22-Apr-22 21:10:54

Wonky hand made stuff works for me every time

ayse Fri 22-Apr-22 21:17:47

I keep the best ones and I’ve started keeping them in memory books for them. I love all the wonderful messages of love.

I’d much rather receive just a card made for me than a present but chocolate is always welcome ?

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Apr-22 21:22:15

Our granddaughter, now 14, gave us both one of these about 8 years ago, we keep them in our purse/wallet.

Galaxy Fri 22-Apr-22 21:46:57

I still have the snowman made out of marshmallows that my son made in nursery. As you can imagine it has solidified and gone a bit wonky looking. Its still makes me cry and when I look at it I can hear the words his nursery teacher said when she gave it to me.
So yes you are a little weird grin

Millie22 Fri 22-Apr-22 21:49:48

I love my handmade cards and gifts. They are not rubbish.

Ali23 Fri 22-Apr-22 21:55:44

I just love the things that my granddaughters make, write or draw. The best gifts ever!

Marydoll Fri 22-Apr-22 22:04:39

I still have the pottery three legged tortoise, DS1 made me, he is now forty two. I could never get get rid of it.

Whiff Sat 23-Apr-22 05:14:51

How can you call something your grandchildren has made for you rubbish. I love everything my grandson makes for me because he has made it with love . I had horrible in law's everytime my children made them something they would say thank you and throw it away . It upset my children. My parents on the other hand keep everything from all 5 of their grandchildren. We only got rid of them when clearing out their house after they both died.

Be grateful you have grandchildren who love you .

grandMattie Sat 23-Apr-22 05:50:09

I absolutely love the self portraits my DGDs gave me on my 70th birthday. As for the cross stitch picture “best grandma ever” made by my DGS when he was about 6 is one of the best presents ever. Love their cards, T-shirts, etc.

Spice101 Sat 23-Apr-22 05:59:21

I don't expect gifts from my grandchildren but if they want to make something for me I'm delighted. Those "gifts" stay until the next one comes along.

Sara1954 Sat 23-Apr-22 07:42:51

Well you have to be selective, you can’t keep every drawing and painting.
I do have things that they’ve made or given me, but I think you can be a bit too sentimental.