Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

I knitted this sweater in one week.

(73 Posts)
Purplepixie Fri 25-Nov-22 14:29:39

Hi all.

I have knitted this sweater for myself with left over James Brett Marble Chunky wool. The challenge was set to make it in one week,which I managed to do. Struggling with a big bout of depression lately - I like to try and set myself these challenges with crafts to keep myself sane. Hope you like it.

Purplepixie Sun 27-Nov-22 16:34:51

Thank you x

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Nov-22 12:31:20

I am in awe Purplepixie I’m just not designed to knit, or craft in any way and so admire others who do.
You should be very proud of yourself 👏👏👏

Beeb Sun 27-Nov-22 12:21:59

Lovely jumper. Impressive and inspiring. Took me a week to do a woolly hat. Hope today feels easier for you sunshine

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Nov-22 10:18:15

You too Purplepixie
I hope that you are feeling a little bit brighter today smilethanks

Purplepixie Sun 27-Nov-22 10:17:00

Thank you everyone for your wonderful kind words. Have a lovely sunday!

Witzend Sun 27-Nov-22 10:14:16

IrishDancing

Well done Purplepixie, really lovely! I hope you’re starting to feel better.
I hate sewing up. I had a Santa Claus I started a few years ago, recommended by Witzend I think, till a couple of days ago when I finally bit the bullet and sewed him up. He’s fantastic, I’m so pleased with myself! grin

How about a pic of him?? Would love to see it.
I love those Jean Greenhowe Santas (I’m assuming it’s that one) though admittedly they’re a lot of work. But worth it! I made 3 one year, must have been mad (it was during the first lockdown when knitting was something of a lifesaver) but they all went to good homes.

SachaMac Sun 27-Nov-22 08:29:34

That’s lovely & great colours, I admire your talent. I’m getting better at crocheted granny squares but I’m not a natural at wool crafts, would love to master knitting though.

ParlorGames Sun 27-Nov-22 08:09:21

The sweater is beautiful PurplePixie! Well done! It is a fabulous feeling when the projects we aim to do finally reach completion.
Happy knitting!!

travelsafar Sun 27-Nov-22 07:57:01

Wow!! I recently knitted a cardigan for a friend and it took me a whole month to do. I applaud you doing this in a week. Now knitting a cardi for my daughter it has taken 2 weeks just to do the back and I knit every day. Well done you.

Daisymae Sun 27-Nov-22 07:48:20

That's lovely! Colours work really well together. You've inspired me to get crafting again.

Norah Sun 27-Nov-22 07:47:48

Very pretty.

Gorgeous "leftover wool", I wish I knew how to knit.

NotAGran55 Sun 27-Nov-22 07:39:15

Fabulous Purplepixie I love the fact that you set it for yourself as a challenge too, and succeeded. You must feel so good now and have a cosy sweater to remind you.

IrishDancing Sat 26-Nov-22 21:35:24

Well done Purplepixie, really lovely! I hope you’re starting to feel better.
I hate sewing up. I had a Santa Claus I started a few years ago, recommended by Witzend I think, till a couple of days ago when I finally bit the bullet and sewed him up. He’s fantastic, I’m so pleased with myself! grin

Namsnanny Sat 26-Nov-22 12:48:31

Skydancer

I am so envious of people who can knit. I've tried and tried over the years but can't do it. The sweater is gorgeous and looks so warm and cosy. I love it.

Could you try mitred squares which are small and relatively easy? Sew them up into a blanket or scarf?
Knitting is so handy to pick up (no pun intended) and put down
Especially if only small items are knitted.

I do find it quite therapeutic, so I like to encourage others to give it a whirl.smile

AreWeThereYet Sat 26-Nov-22 11:57:53

midgey always happy to help 😄 Never done a Mary, Joseph or FC before so there's no saying what you would get back but at least they'll be finished 😄

Maya1 Sat 26-Nov-22 11:55:48

Absolutely gorgeous Purplepixie. Great job. Very envious of your talent. I can just about sew on a button.

Skydancer Sat 26-Nov-22 11:50:38

I am so envious of people who can knit. I've tried and tried over the years but can't do it. The sweater is gorgeous and looks so warm and cosy. I love it.

Namsnanny Sat 26-Nov-22 11:40:36

I feel the same way about knitting ?purplepixie*smile
Your jumper is soooooo neatly made. Matching strips on the raglan sleeves too!
Very impressive that it only took you a week, from casting on to sewing up!
Could you take commissions?
My knitting is too slap dash to consider it.
Very well done. Also I hope it helped with the depression.❤

Callistemon21 Sat 26-Nov-22 11:12:56

That's my excuse for not finishing the NS, Witzend!
I have some presents and beards to knit yet.
(I knew there was a reason)

Smileless2012 Sat 26-Nov-22 11:10:07

Wow Pixie it looks fabulous and well done for completing your challenge as a way to deal with your depression. You're an inspirationsmile.

Purplepixie Sat 26-Nov-22 11:08:15

Thank you to everyone for you lovely kind words. I have another project on the needles and that is a sweater for my friend’s grandson. Small size should knit up quick. I’ll post on here when it is finished. Have a lovely weekend. Knitting keeps me sane!

Witzend Sat 26-Nov-22 11:07:21

AreWeThereYet

I don't mind sewing up at all. It's a fairly quick job and I'm quite a neat sewer.

So if some of you clever knitters and crocheters would like to make me a jumper I will happily sew your projects up for you 😁😉

I don’t mind it, either. I’m always keen to see the end product.

Failing to finish the actual knitting is another matter - I’ve had several UFOs (unfinished projects) in the past. One was a long black cardigan intended for a Dsis - I did it all except for the blasted pick-up-and-knit rib edging round the whole thing - so hard to see and pick up the right number of black stitches!
Tears of frustration! I ended up binning the whole wretched thing - a sinful waste, but at least the yarn was relatively cheap.

downtoearth Fri 25-Nov-22 22:28:52

I love the colours purplepixie looks so cosy and a lovely pattern.
I hope you soon feel better from the dreaded black dog

midgey Fri 25-Nov-22 21:18:15

AreWeThereYet how’s it looking for a glove, Mary, Joseph and a Father Christmas🙂?

AreWeThereYet Fri 25-Nov-22 20:20:30

I don't mind sewing up at all. It's a fairly quick job and I'm quite a neat sewer.

So if some of you clever knitters and crocheters would like to make me a jumper I will happily sew your projects up for you 😁😉