Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Decorate With The seasons!

(57 Posts)
keepcalmandcavachon Sat 08-Jul-23 19:51:14

I find such pleasure in the seasons and think its lovely to mirror the changing year at home. I like to put together a mantlepiece garland or enhance a little rattan wreath with felt leaves etc. I'v seen pictures of tiny little wool 'pillows' decorated with seasonal themes ( summer garden, bees or autumn) and think these could be such fun to put together in a wooden bowl in the hall. Could we all share more crafty way to reflect the beauty outside please? x

Joseann Sun 09-Jul-23 12:30:25

I think, as the flowers dry out, decorating indoors with alliums and other plants can herald the new season without losing their beauty. I like the spiky structure of some of the heads, (particulatly artichokes), and the rusty colours. They can then be sprayed at Christmas time too.

Visgir1 Sun 09-Jul-23 13:03:15

I suppose I do to a certain extent.
I change door mats to Match the seasons, add or take away cushions. Move Winter out door battery lights by Front door, auto Candles put away seasonal bits and bobs.
But curtains changed no(only have x1 pair) , just don't shut them (windows only look over our garden).
Autumn /Winter hanging baskets out.
No big changes but seasonal match.

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 09-Jul-23 16:24:45

Oh it seems like I'll be the only one attempting to crochet an autumn garland for the kitchen this week then, never mind I had hoped for some seasonal kindred spirits to share the joy!

MrsKen33 Sun 09-Jul-23 17:16:51

Many people here have flower wreath of the appropriate season’s flowers on their front doors. Artificial flowers obviously.

Callistemon21 Sun 09-Jul-23 17:30:08

Whitewavemark2

Callistemon21

Whitewavemark2

My garden does that for me. At the moment its fantastic display of roses, delphiniums, nepeta are fading and in the wings are echinacea, Japanese anemones, agastache and phlox backed up by all the usual stuff. Then as late summer fades there will be all sorts of asters as the main display with back up from other autumn flowers.

That is enough for me🙂🙂

I've tried and mine is fine in the spring and summer but, come August/September, there's nothing much because most late summer/autumn plants failed to survive here apart from sedum.

Where do you live? I would have thought asters were pretty tough?

Ah, the asters!

I planted some which an old lady grew in a bed at the front but DH kindly weeded them for me 😲

I've not planted any since, but have tried helenium, chrysanthemums, hollyhocks, delphiniums, croscosmia - all disappeared!
The log flowering penstemons and one or two hardy geraniums seem to have survived 🤞 along with lots of other plants.

Callistemon21 Sun 09-Jul-23 17:32:38

I planted some which an old lady grew in a bed at the front

Sorry, this didn't make sense, I'm watching tennis.

An old lady gave me asters which she'd grown from seed and I planted them at the front.
DH mistakenly weeded them 🙂

NanaDana Sun 09-Jul-23 18:12:26

Decorate with the Seasons? I don't even decorate with the years. It must be 12 years since we papered, painted and had a new kitchen and bathroom fitted, and it's all still looking good. As for "arty/crafty", the closest I get to that is occasionally arranging flowers, or maybe making a table decoration or a door wreath for Christmas. Each to their own, but it's definitely not my scene. As for reflecting the beauty outside, I'd rather just get out there and enjoy it first hand.

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 09-Jul-23 18:23:28

Gosh what adverse reactions my little rattan wreath and acorn garland have brought forth!

NanaDana Sun 09-Jul-23 18:33:48

keepcalmandcavachon

Gosh what adverse reactions my little rattan wreath and acorn garland have brought forth!

"Adverse reactions". Is that how you choose to describe a perfectly honest, polite response which is from someone who doesn't happen to share your obvious interest in arts and crafts? We are all permitted to be different you know, and that doesn't make us "adverse" As I said before, each to their own.

Witzend Sun 09-Jul-23 18:34:08

keepcalmandcavachon

Oh it seems like I'll be the only one attempting to crochet an autumn garland for the kitchen this week then, never mind I had hoped for some seasonal kindred spirits to share the joy!

I did once make a Halloween wreath, but needless to say it was for the Gdcs.

Ages ago (2020) but I just found the pic.

I seem to remember someone posting about a lovely autumn wreath she’d made - lots of little pumpkins. Does anyone else remember?

Witzend Sun 09-Jul-23 18:37:35

It was namsnanny - a really lovely wreath - here it is!

Georgesgran Sun 09-Jul-23 19:50:14

My house is a bit like the Forth Road Bridge - almost ongoing, but I want it to be sale-able (if necessary) without needing stacks of work.
DDs and I have door wreaths for Spring, Summer, Autumn, Halloween and Winter, plus one for Christmas that goes on for a couple of weeks. DD2 loves the USA and has one for Thanksgiving too.
I change my lounge curtains, even though I don’t close them very often - I think this might have been started because of coal fires - textiles got grubby and smoky. However, my Autumn/Winter are darker colours, making the room seem warmer.
I change cushions for nature inspired ones - robins, squirrels, hares, etc. Everything gets rotated and lives in the bottom of a spare wardrobe when not in use.
It’s a change without costing a fortune.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jul-23 20:31:45

I can’t stand wreaths on doors and I ve never ever changed decor or even a cushion inside for the seasons
What s there for the winter is there for the summer and everything inbetween
Only change i do is I don’t close my curtains at night in the summer as it stays light
*Nanadana I m with you if I want the outside I go outside 😂😂😂 couldn’t manage all that phaffing around

Do all you seasonal changes have a particular date when it all goes away or all comes out

Granmarderby10 Sun 09-Jul-23 21:05:15

I think it’s a great idea. It could start on the weekends that the clocks go forward or back.
It is also a way to display any ornaments and nik-naks if you have downsized but didn’t want to part with some. They get rotated and you get a change of scenery.

I’ve already got two pairs of curtains for the living room, one pair was a bargain the other a bit more and I bought some rich coloured bargain teddy throws, bedding and matching cushions last Christmas which are too snuggly for summer so they will come out - (I use vacuum storage bags) so they stay nice and fresh.
So no actual expense involved, just a bit of washing and ironing and a good spring/autumn clean.🤗

keepcalmandcavachon Sun 09-Jul-23 21:07:01

Witzend, how lovely your creations are! I bet they bring a smile to your visitors faces. Its so nice to find inspiration for the coming months even if they are rather beyond my efforts LoL.
Still, what is an Arts and Crafts 'thread for if not for sharing tips and projects, thank you.

JackyB Mon 10-Jul-23 07:47:05

Door wreaths and pots of seasonal plants outside the front door are definitely a thing here in Germany. I hang one out for Advent and an Easter themed one from Easter Saturday until Whitsun.

Indoors I have a coffee table with a glass top and a smaller, frosted glass shelf underneath. I used to put scatter decorations on the lower shelf for New Year, spring, Fasching. Summer, autumn. Halloween, advent and Christmas but when the DGC were tiny (and some still are) I had to stop because it was just their height. So now I have a couple of large "coffee table" books there. The decorations are stacked away in small boxes.

I always have flowers on the dining room table, which is our sort of social gathering place, except at the moment with temps over 30°.

It would never occur to me to change cushions and curtains, though.

Joseann Mon 10-Jul-23 09:16:59

I think Germans are experts at that kind of crafty decoration JackyB. Long ago I used to read a monthly magazine (Brigitte?) that was packed with ideas.

SachaMac Mon 10-Jul-23 11:47:29

I like to see a seasonal wreath on the front door, I had an autumn one and always have a Christmas Wreath, haven’t had chance to do a summer one this year but do have colourful geraniums in pots by the door. I dress my fireplace with a few seasonal lights etc, not so much in the summer, tends to be just a bunch of fresh flowers or cream roses. I like to see these little touches but it can be a problem storing and tracking the stuff down when you need it.
Pictured is me with friends making our Autumn Wreaths at an evening class with a meal included & my autumn fireplace.

Witzend Mon 10-Jul-23 12:00:09

keepcalmandcavachon

Witzend, how lovely your creations are! I bet they bring a smile to your visitors faces. Its so nice to find inspiration for the coming months even if they are rather beyond my efforts LoL.
Still, what is an Arts and Crafts 'thread for if not for sharing tips and projects, thank you.

The really lovely autumn one was made by namsnanny - I hope she doesn’t mind my posting the pic here.

keepcalmandcavachon Mon 10-Jul-23 12:02:50

Autumn Wreaths Evening Class! Sounds amazing, what a lovely idea as a gift for someone special too ( the evening or the beautiful wreath). Not sure if I could bear to part with that gorgeousness though, its a stunner!

Oreo Mon 10-Jul-23 12:12:12

I need a door wreath to take me from my present very pretty Summer one to an orange coloured one in Autumn, am now thinking of getting a sunflowers one, thanks to this thread.

PinkCosmos Mon 10-Jul-23 12:33:16

I can't understand the negative comments on here about wreaths. It is the Arts and Crafts section after all.

I do change my cushions and throws several times a year depending on the season or my mood. I make my own cushions or try to buy just the covers so that I can use the same inner cushion. I have put covers over covers to save space.

Our living room is decorated in a very neutral way so that I can change colour scheme using cushions and throws without everything clashing.

I seem to have more houseplants these days as they go with any colour scheme

I love looking on Pinterest for ideas but rarely get around to using them myself. Maybe when I retire I will have more time.

I have more stuff over Christmas as do most people I suppose. And I do love a nice wreath smile

Callistemon21 Mon 10-Jul-23 13:05:27

I'd like someone to come and do it for me!

One year I made shabby chic Christmas wreaths but gave them away.
Ours is an ancient wicker one but it's one of those things which comes out every Christmas, like the very old fairy.

Otherwise, clean is as much as I can aim for the rest of the time - I'm older than the Chridtmas fairy.

AreWeThereYet Mon 10-Jul-23 13:32:20

I started doing paper crafts in the evenings during lock down and have been making wreaths for my front door just because the porch looked a bit gloomy after taking down all the Christmas decorations. This is my last one, cherry blossoms. I did start making a rose one for the Summer but got distracted with family problems so it has never been finished. And probably won't now, as I will start something for the Autumn.

Beechnut Mon 10-Jul-23 16:39:08

That’s pretty AreWeThereYet.