Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Decorate With The seasons!

(56 Posts)
keepcalmandcavachon Sat 08-Jul-23 19:51:14

I find such pleasure in the seasons and think its lovely to mirror the changing year at home. I like to put together a mantlepiece garland or enhance a little rattan wreath with felt leaves etc. I'v seen pictures of tiny little wool 'pillows' decorated with seasonal themes ( summer garden, bees or autumn) and think these could be such fun to put together in a wooden bowl in the hall. Could we all share more crafty way to reflect the beauty outside please? x

Hetty58 Sat 08-Jul-23 20:10:15

Is this a trend in the US? (I believe it is - especially decorative wreaths.) I find it all a bit twee. I prefer a more practical approach, a change in dried flowers, cushions, rugs, curtains, blankets etc. - so have 'summer' and 'winter' versions of stuff accordingly.

I'm quite strictly minimalist in summer, cosy/more cluttered in winter. Yes, I do love the changing seasons - but wouldn't redo rooms every three months. I suppose I'm just not into 'decorations'.

crazyH Sat 08-Jul-23 20:20:05

My neighbour has gone ‘American’ - she’s got a lovely flowery wreath on her front door - it’s so lovely - I might get one myself 😂

tanith Sat 08-Jul-23 20:30:39

A friend in the US would change her decor with the seasons including curtains, pillows, rugs, pictures etc etc etc it must of been exhausting. Its not for me I don't have finances, energy or inclination.

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 08-Jul-23 20:33:42

Yes this trend is huge I think in the US ( what isn't) and some of it looks truly amazing. Sadly I don't have the budget or energy for such creations! I do love how Mother Nature inspires us to craft though and yes I confess (whispers) I quite like a bit of twee...

Callistemon21 Sat 08-Jul-23 20:49:03

tanith

A friend in the US would change her decor with the seasons including curtains, pillows, rugs, pictures etc etc etc it must of been exhausting. Its not for me I don't have finances, energy or inclination.

My Mum had summer and winter curtains.

Its not for me I don't have finances, energy or inclination.
Me neither, tanith, in fact even Christmas decorations are becoming a chore rather than a joy!

Blondiescot Sat 08-Jul-23 21:00:35

I couldn't be bothered! Can't even remember the last time we decorated - must be at least 20 years or more. We used to have neighbours across the street who decorated several times a year - but they were very heavy smokers. The couple who bought the house after they died said it was awful - they had to strip all walls back to the plaster to try to get rid of the smell.

merlotgran Sat 08-Jul-23 21:07:42

tanith

It’s the kind of thing I would start and then get bored about half way through so my home would be stuck between seasons. 😂

Best not to bother.

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 08-Jul-23 21:16:42

All those Crafty American Gals might struggle a little without Kirklands,Dollar Tree etc. A ball of twine, a few pine cones, an old bobbin and some lace trimmings would sort 'em out! I might take a peek if one of those decor mega stores were to open in my little market town ....

Hetty58 Sat 08-Jul-23 21:31:14

If you enjoy these things - then do them - as it's a hobby, rather than hard work. All my family seem to change the curtains, cushions and rugs for summer/winter - but walls are mainly bare and few ornaments.

My only real 'decorating' is my passion (obsession?) for plants - indoor and outdoor - they're everywhere. I enjoy knitting, find it relaxing, but rarely produce anything useful!

Callistemon21 Sat 08-Jul-23 22:52:42

I do have too many cushions so swap them occasionally.

In fact, I did have my eye on some not long go but resisted the temptation to buy more.

bridie54 Sat 08-Jul-23 23:06:59

As well as the cost and the inclination to do this (neither of which I have really), I would struggle to find storage space to keep the out of season stuff.
I thought I would make 5 patchwork cushion covers for my rocking chair , the 4 seasons plus Christmas, but I got as far as Spring and that was 2 years ago.

Kate1949 Sat 08-Jul-23 23:36:33

I'm with you Blondiescot. I say to DH every 10 years or so 'Is this place looking a bit shabby?,'. He says 'I haven't noticed'. blush We give it a cat lick every now and then.

Witzend Sun 09-Jul-23 08:04:01

I do wonder how people find space for all the different curtains/cushions/rugs, etc. Our house is a reasonable size, but I couldn’t even think of changing everything according to the season and finding room for it all.

Maybe it’s different if you live in a more extreme climate - stinking hot to well below freezing, every year, like many across the pond.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Jul-23 08:20:16

My garden does that for me. At the moment its fantastic display of roses, delphiniums, nepeta are fading and in the wings are echinacea, Japanese anemones, agastache and phlox backed up by all the usual stuff. Then as late summer fades there will be all sorts of asters as the main display with back up from other autumn flowers.

That is enough for me🙂🙂

Joseann Sun 09-Jul-23 09:28:03

Oh dear, I'm a decorate anything in sight with the seasons person, and I enjoy it.
Like Whitewavemark2 my garden consists currently of dozens of lavender bushes, blue and white agapanthus, blue delphiniums, salvias and a group of sunflower tucked in a few corners. On the fences are shells, driftwood, bees, and a sign saying "to the beach". Indoors, most of my main rooms are white and blue, so the theme continues with the cushions, and jute mats on the floors, summer kitchenware etc. Then there's me, summer dresses, hats, various raffia bags, mainly blue and white, plus a bit of pink.
All the stuff will go in the loft come Autumn when I'll start all over again in orange and beige!

Callistemon21 Sun 09-Jul-23 09:53:11

I have never got the hang of 'co-ordinated' 🤔

Callistemon21 Sun 09-Jul-23 09:55:10

Whitewavemark2

My garden does that for me. At the moment its fantastic display of roses, delphiniums, nepeta are fading and in the wings are echinacea, Japanese anemones, agastache and phlox backed up by all the usual stuff. Then as late summer fades there will be all sorts of asters as the main display with back up from other autumn flowers.

That is enough for me🙂🙂

I've tried and mine is fine in the spring and summer but, come August/September, there's nothing much because most late summer/autumn plants failed to survive here apart from sedum.

Casdon Sun 09-Jul-23 10:06:50

I do this with plants and flowers too, I’m into flower arranging so I grow things specifically because they can be cut for the house. I’ve got a bulb area where I put all those that were in pots the previous year, and cut them from February onwards. I’ve found that if you grow good foliage you don’t need many flowers, and I dry honesty, Chinese lanterns and gourds, and save the seedheads from other plants to use. I love looking at my efforts on dismal days, and spend my time then researching what else I can add for next year.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Jul-23 10:12:08

Callistemon21

Whitewavemark2

That is enough for me🙂🙂

I've tried and mine is fine in the spring and summer but, come August/September, there's nothing much because most late summer/autumn plants failed to survive here apart from sedum.

Where do you live? I would have thought asters were pretty tough?

Jaxjacky Sun 09-Jul-23 10:29:21

I can’t be doing with ‘bits’ and ‘stuff’ I’m afraid, inside or out, but do love the changing seasons in the garden, still a work in progress and the seasonal vegetables I grow.

avitorl Sun 09-Jul-23 10:41:59

I have summer/winter curtains,cushions and sofa covers.I like the different feel of my home when I change these items according to the season. It is cosy in the winter and cool in the warmer months.

Oreo Sun 09-Jul-23 10:53:46

tanith

Me neither.
Never heard of anyone changing curtains or rugs for the seasons.
I have a few tubs of seasonal flowers in my yard and I do have seasonal decorative wreaths on the front door, and that’s it.
If you want to do more and have time and money then go for it.

Oreo Sun 09-Jul-23 10:55:27

Whitewavemark2

That is enough for me🙂🙂

Sounds wonderful envy

HeavenLeigh Sun 09-Jul-23 11:04:53

No I don’t, I’m not really into all that, each to their own of course, I just change my summer curtains to winter etc, as it gets colder. The rest I keep exactly the same, I’m quite happy how everywhere looks so I don’t really need to change it, not one of these people who decorate every couple of years either I’m afraid, as long as clean and tidy I’m quite happy .