Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Needlework for a beginner

(33 Posts)
Hermia46 Thu 17-Aug-23 09:48:34

Morning all, I fancy having a go at simple needlework; but I have not embroidered anything for many years. Any advice on best place to buy a simple needlework kit would be appreciated. I am looking to buy a kit with instructions on the actual stitches. I have looked at the RSN site and they are lovely, but for a beginner maybe a bit too complex and pricey! I look forward to your sage advice. Thanks Hermia

25Avalon Thu 17-Aug-23 10:00:53

Hobbycraft have lots of kits and also do online and I store lessons which aren’t very expensive.

sassysaysso Thu 17-Aug-23 10:07:28

There are a lot of lovely and not too difficult kits on Etsy and Lovecraft. Most have simple instructions on the various stitches included but if not there are loads of tutorials on YouTube

GrannyLaine Thu 17-Aug-23 11:58:50

YouTube would be a great resource too. I’ve knitted since I was a child but learned to crochet via YouTube

Soozikinzi Thu 17-Aug-23 12:28:12

I was also going to recommend you tube . Bella coco is excellent for crochet . I don't know if there's something similar for embroidery?

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Aug-23 14:56:20

I saw a really lovely piece on YouTube - I'll see if I can find it.

Beechnut Thu 17-Aug-23 15:03:22

I’ve not started it yet but I have got one from Nurge.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Aug-23 15:29:03

youtu.be/tvEvhHaaLSk

Pikes Haberdashery.

Esmay Thu 17-Aug-23 16:35:37

Many moons ago embroidery was my thing - I didn't use patterns , but made my own designs .

As I'm fond of botanical art this was not difficult for me .

My aunt bought me my first kit when I was eight .

As embroidery isn't that popular hobby anymore - kits have become expensive .

I suggest frequenting charity shops and asking them to put them aside for you .

You can trace a pattern onto a piece of stretched cotton preferably linen fabric and have a go !

It really doesn't matter if your first attempt is a disaster .

You tube offers lots of advice on embroidery and it has become so exciting - using implements to create dimensions .

Here's another idea -one of my favourite dresses was ruined in the wash .
I embroidered all over the printed flowers and added tiny seed beads .

Everyone admired it and no one was any the wiser !

Freya5 Thu 17-Aug-23 17:48:20

GrannyLaine

YouTube would be a great resource too. I’ve knitted since I was a child but learned to crochet via YouTube

Knit with Hannah on you tube, brilliant for those bits you're not sure how to do.

Whiff Fri 18-Aug-23 06:29:04

Hermia I cross stitch as I find it easier than embroidery. If you buy a copy of World of Cross stitching or Cross Stitcher magazine they come with a free kit plus have lots of charts inside. Have a look on the Cross stitch thread . I had to stop knitting when my children where young as I couldn't co ordinate the needles and tried crochet but couldn't get the hand of it. Used to do embroidery and tapestry but got fed up with it.

I only tried cross stitch 7 years ago as I couldn't understand how little cross made pictures. Only wish I had taken it up decades ago as I am addicted to it . These are 2 of my pieces. I use 14 count Adia mainly which I buy from Etsy per metre. Threads online as well always use DMC. Plenty of cross stitch stores online.

There is a site called Gathered register and they have lots of prizes up for grabs I have been lucky enough to win a few kits. I enter all the competitions even for wool . I go to a mixed media craft group at my local library. We just take what work we are doing . 2 hours of chat and biscuits. And we share any craft things we don't want eg threads ,wool etc.

Not all cross stitch needs back stitch but I love doing it it makes your design pop.

Good luck whatever you try..

Whiff Fri 18-Aug-23 06:31:38

My sister in law needle felts and crochets . Like me is is disabled she has MS. These are some of her work. And a kit a friend brought me for my birthday.

Ali23 Fri 18-Aug-23 06:40:41

I follow Sarah Homfray Embroidery on Youtube. She demonstrates embroidery stitches with such clarity. She has a stitch library which I go to for reminders. She’s from the UK but has an international audience. She has a website and shop too . Definitely worth checking out.

Hermia46 Sun 20-Aug-23 08:58:39

Thank you - I will follow up your brilliant leads and get sewing!

annodomini Sun 20-Aug-23 09:54:26

My granny did beautiful embroidery and I still have some of her work. She taught me the appropriate stitches, but I never attempted anything beyond 'lazy daisies' and that was about 70 years ago. Perhaps I should try again.

JayDee60 Sun 20-Aug-23 11:08:54

Hi. I find cross stitch kits really rewarding. I bought my first one in a charity shop so it won’t cost you a lot to start with. It comes with all the threads and full instructions. You can then progress to bigger and more involved ones at whatever pace you want. I would definitely recommend. Any sewing shops or Hobbycraft will help but I got most of mine on Amazon or eBay. Enjoy.

JaneJudge Sun 20-Aug-23 11:12:12

Whiff, they are all lovely smile

I was going to suggest looking if your local church holds a stitching group

Moth62 Sun 20-Aug-23 11:24:20

On the subject of learning to sew, has anyone any suggestions for where to buy/how to make up a simple sewing set for my six year old granddaughter? I sew a bit and we make Barbie clothes together from felt and she prettifies them with sparkly bits! I’d like to teach her to sew properly but I’m not really sure where/how to start. Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Thank you.

Cressy Sun 20-Aug-23 11:31:04

Ali23 Hermia46
Just taken a look at Sarah Homfray on Instagram and now following so thanks for that. I also follow Threaded by Tatum. American but has some really nice work and sells kits demonstrating stitches.

Warbler Sun 20-Aug-23 12:03:58

Try a bit of cross stitch or Bargello…..

nahsma Sun 20-Aug-23 12:13:48

Moth62

On the subject of learning to sew, has anyone any suggestions for where to buy/how to make up a simple sewing set for my six year old granddaughter? I sew a bit and we make Barbie clothes together from felt and she prettifies them with sparkly bits! I’d like to teach her to sew properly but I’m not really sure where/how to start. Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Thank you.

Hi Moth - when my six-year-old GD put a “sooing cit” on her Christmas list, I found this one: www.johnlewis.com/buttonbag-sewing-kit/p597526
we've worked through the things in the kit and moved on to things she's thought up for herself - most recently a patchwork quilt for her dolls, back-stitched together from Charm Squares.

Moth62 Sun 20-Aug-23 12:30:14

Thank you, nahsma. That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for. It looks like a lovely “sooin cit” smile

sassysaysso Sun 20-Aug-23 12:52:55

annodomini

My granny did beautiful embroidery and I still have some of her work. She taught me the appropriate stitches, but I never attempted anything beyond 'lazy daisies' and that was about 70 years ago. Perhaps I should try again.

I've recently taken up embroidery. I would say I've taken it up again but I can't remember learning it originally but I find I can remember how to do many if the stitches. I'm wondering what other talents I have lurking in my subconscious.

Caravansera Sun 20-Aug-23 13:19:58

Another fan of Sarah Homfray. She has an excellent You Tube channel and website.

She’s Royal Society of Needlework trained and worked as a tutor for them before setting up her own business. Her sister Caroline is still an RSN tutor and was part of the team that worked on the Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding dress.

Another Sarah (surname not known) has a website called Sarah’s Hand Embroidery Tutorials which has a very good stitch directory with step by step instructions, some with videos:

www.embroidery.rocksea.org/reference/picture-dictionary/

Stitch dictionaries in book form can often be found in charity shops. I picked upone from Dorling Kindersley for a few pounds (or plenty available through usual online used-book sellers). Mine is ISBN 0 7513 0786 6.

Sarah Homfray put up a video testing inexpensive thread from The Range which you can still buy under the Art Studio name, 36 skeins for £3.99.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NldkeERYl3s&t=39s

www.therange.co.uk/search?q=Pack%20of%2036%20Embroidery%20Floss#in_stock_f=true&sort=relevance&page=1&lpp=24

Sara says it’s synthetic and found it fluffier than cottons from Anchor and DMC but pleasant to work with.

You can buy inexpensive hoops and needles in The Range too so you could start stitching for under £10, extra for fabric and anything you want to buy to draw/transfer patterns although ordinary coloured pencils work well enough.

Finally, Spruce Crafts has a lot of online resources - this one explains how to create a sampler with lots of links to free patterns:

www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-embroidery-sampler-4129264

Jane12356 Sun 20-Aug-23 14:03:56

I was determined to learn to Crochet and followed tutorials on You Tube and despite being left handed and it taking me three months i can now finally say i've cracked it. !