Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Anyone Else Suffered a Crafting Crisis? (hilarious!)

(41 Posts)
Fairycakes Thu 18-Jan-24 20:56:55

I thought I would crochet this cute bear stuffedheartscrochet.weebly.com/blog/oliver-the-bear-amigurumi-crochet-pattern
But this is how it has turned out 😳. The designer says not to worry if the neck looks freakishly long, but I think mine looks three times longer than it should πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. I'll have to take it out and start again. It looks nothing like the one in the picture. It looks like a sausage on legs 🀭.

Grannybags Thu 18-Jan-24 21:00:48

🀣🀣🀣

Mind you I shouldn't laugh as I can't even crochet one stitch!

RosiesMaw Thu 18-Jan-24 21:19:47

I’d rather not comment! 😳😳😳

Callistemon21 Thu 18-Jan-24 21:21:59

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Someone would love it πŸ˜‚

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 18-Jan-24 21:45:42

Oh Fairycakes that's wonderful (!). Many of my crafting efforts have been terrible, but none so funny.

Fairycakes Thu 18-Jan-24 22:03:25

I was so happy crocheting along that I didn't notice just how long it's neck was growing 🀣

Callistemon21 Thu 18-Jan-24 22:44:48

It could be Gerald Giraffe instead of Oliver Bear

CanadianGran Thu 18-Jan-24 23:21:16

My first thought was not a bear!

RosiesMaw Thu 18-Jan-24 23:24:01

It looks like a cosy for something I’d rather not admit to recognising 😳😳

ginny Thu 18-Jan-24 23:33:20

πŸ˜„

Fairycakes Fri 19-Jan-24 08:39:05

RosiesMaw
It looks like a cosy for something I’d rather not admit to recognising 😳

Best not go there 🀣🀣🀣

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 19-Jan-24 08:44:03

Beauty is in the eye of the bone-holder......

Witzend Fri 19-Jan-24 09:54:59

It reminded me of some β€˜cookies’ my American niece recently made for a hen party - Dsis sent a pic. Needless to say they were not the sort of thing you would give your ancient maiden great-aunt with her tea!

Bella23 Fri 19-Jan-24 09:59:18

Fairycakes

RosiesMaw
It looks like a cosy for something I’d rather not admit to recognising 😳

Best not go there 🀣🀣🀣

It might prove a little itchy! smile
As a teenager I once crocheted an elderly aunt a hat she requested it was in a sort of gingery brown colour and all loopy. Next time in Chapel my cousin whispered I didn't know Aunty Belle had had her hair cut and coloured. I said it was the hat and we got a fit of giggles and nearly excommunicated.

Purplepixie Fri 19-Jan-24 10:36:13

It’s great and sorry for laughing.

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Jan-24 11:05:00

I think it will be fine with a massive scarf and ears etc. If you look at the photo of the finished bear it does seem to be all neck!

But yes, it's a "freakishly long" neck!

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Jan-24 11:06:09

I think you should have given this thread the title "Freakishly Long Neck" actually grin

Fairycakes Fri 19-Jan-24 11:50:39

NotSpaghetti, that title would have caught a lot of attention. People might have thought I was the one with the freakishly long neck πŸ˜‚

Whiff Fri 19-Jan-24 12:39:08

A member of my craft group made balloon dogs to sell for a cancer charity..They looked hilarious before she folded them in to look like a dog. Just image a line of 2" long stuffed looking like oval beads with couple of stitches between each one. If you have a dirty mind like my group you know what they looked like . 🀣

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Jan-24 12:40:20

Well it's a cheery thread anyway Fairycakes Thank you!
Please come back and post a pic of the finished bear.

I wouldn't unpick him as I think the neck is a "feature" of the pattern. Look how low his arms are in the original.

Maybe he's modeled on this one...

AreWeThereYet Fri 19-Jan-24 14:27:45

It does look a bit polar bearish 😁

My crafting tends to be one long crisis. I think every thing I crochet is redone about three times before I get it right.

Fairycakes Fri 19-Jan-24 14:55:31

NotSpaghetti Ha! Ha! You're right;mine does look like that polar bearπŸ˜†

Fairycakes Fri 19-Jan-24 14:57:18

AreWeThereYet
My crafting tends to be one long crisis. I think every thing I crochet is redone about three times before I get it right.

That's obviously bc you are a perfectionist 😁

AreWeThereYet Fri 19-Jan-24 15:03:04

That's obviously bc you are a perfectionist

Partly 😁😁 Makes life very difficult.

But mainly because I can't even get a square to be square. They go off at all angles. My last round was oval, but I just made an oval basket instead of a round oneπŸ˜…

Witzend Sat 20-Jan-24 12:58:51

My worst was after I’d knitted an entire long black cardigan for my sister - except for the β€˜pick up and knit’ about a million stitches all round the outside edge for the band.

Well. I really did try, over and over, to pick up the right number for the first section, but it was so hard just to SEE the effing stitches!

I’m afraid to say I eventually gave up and binned the whole thing. Couldn’t ever face that yarn again! Luckily it was pretty cheap acrylic - for a sister in the US who tumble dries absolutely everything.