Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Does anyone buy too much fabric/ craft items

(86 Posts)
Truffle43 Thu 29-Feb-24 01:22:20

I recently bought storage so I could finally keep my sewing fabrics in one place. Previously I kept bits all over the place. It is now I see how much fabric I actually have that I am shocked. I knew I loved fabric and love sewing, but the amount I have is excessive. I have now decided no more buying until I have used
Most of what I have. I hope I live until I am 150 to do this. Is there anyone else like me?

biglouis Thu 29-Feb-24 01:57:10

I feel your pain. I have a complete cupboard full of fabric swatches and things to be cut up.

Shirleyw Thu 29-Feb-24 02:31:07

Yes, me too…also with knitting projects, I have several lots of knitting on the go …waistcoat, dolls clothes, wrap and socks, all been started , also have loads of spare wool, I don’t like to get rid of in case it comes in handy, .with sewing I found black material which I was gonna make a T.shirt with last year also lots of left over fabric luckily I have a spare room now where it all goes.

nanna8 Thu 29-Feb-24 02:41:23

I fell in love with this lovely,lovely material and made a dress. I hadn’t made any dresses for years and years and I used a very old pattern. My shape has changed and it doesn’t fit! I know I should have measured a bit better but just wanted to get it made. Oh dear, now I will have to either diet or forget it. I have a ton of fabric, mostly not enough for garments and I ‘cull’ every now and then. It was a godsend during lockdowns as I made masks to match just about everything. In the end I could make one in about 10-15 minutes.

Curtaintwitcher Thu 29-Feb-24 06:51:42

You're certainly not the only one. There are so many lovely designs in the shops (and on-line), it's tempting to buy them even though you may not have a project in mind. One of the things about fabric is that designs don't seem to be repeated. It seems that a batch is made and when it's gone...there's no more. If you see something you like, snap it up.
I was in my local fabric shop when a roll of cloth caught my eye. I thought,' I'd love a dress in that', so I bought 3 metres and made myself a dress. I'm so glad that I am able to do that.
I have bought those cheap plastic drawers (from Argos) to store my fabric in. They don't look very nice but they hold quite a lot and are easy to move around.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 29-Feb-24 07:22:18

I’ve finally used up all but 2 crates of fabric, some of it was from clothes that I made the girls when they were little ( the youngest is now 50) so its taken me that long to use it all up!

I’ve been very strict with myself about buying new to replace it all.
As we are hoping to move this year I’m not even looking at fabric until we are in our new home.

karmalady Thu 29-Feb-24 07:27:18

I have masses and masses of fabric stash, so much that I catalogued every single length. I used a swatch file, cut a bit of fabric and stuck it in with brief details also where it is. Generally I roll most fabrics as they stack better, I keep heavier fabrics flat

I bought a 4 bed house, when a 3 bed would have done. I was determined for once in my life, to have a dedicated sewing room and that is where I keep my fabric stash, apart from the lengths I still need to pre-wash, which are in a bedroom

I use shelves and cupboards and that does limit me, so that, when I start squashing fabrics to get them in, I unsubscribe from sites which tempt me

I make no apology for my fantastic stash and hobby, having sewn for 69 years. I know that my stash is better than money in the bank, all fabrics have surged in price

My wardrobe is now all hand made, including my latest coat for spring. My adult children also ask for me to make various items such as dungarees and jogging suits and mostly I have fabric in my stash

Pattern, yes also a magnificent stash of modern indie patterns

Knitting, A big stash of beautiful yarns from a local mill. Expensive and all packed so the moths cannot get in. Two big round and secure cardboard bins and more, full of fluff (wool /wool and silk /wool and silk and cashmere blends) all ready to spin. Enough for years and I have definitely stopped buying those

My beautiful hobbies will never be on the list to down size

Astitchintime Thu 29-Feb-24 07:36:53

I have managed to curb my enthusiasm to buy more fabric and I am now concentrating on using up most of my current stash to make. various projects, clothing, bags, etc.

My problem is 'what to do with. all the leftover scraps'? and I would welcome any suggestions on this. I am referring to things like the remainder of a length of cloth after cutting out a garment or those smaller bits from a fat quarter which 'might come in handy' but never, ever do.
What do you all do with your scraps please?

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 29-Feb-24 08:06:48

Oh lovely, I've found my people.......

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 29-Feb-24 08:20:13

Astitchintime, I bought a beautifully embroidered pink table cloth from a charity shop for £4. Today if (when) it's rainy I shall cut some little bunny & egg shapes from 'spring' colour scraps and applique a few each on to it each evening.
I did this at Christmas, red & green holly leaves on to a white vintage cloth and it looked very pretty for not too much effort (or expense). You could sew a birthday one with appliqued candles all around, the world is your lobster!

ginny Thu 29-Feb-24 08:38:23

I have a fair stash of fabric , wool and watercolour painting materials. Also various other art and craft materials and a separate stash for the craft club that I run.
Luckily, I do have my own separate room so non of it is in the way.
I understand that those who have too many craft materials love much longer than those who point it out!

karmalady Thu 29-Feb-24 08:47:03

Scraps:

I lot of people make this with scraps

blog.closetcorepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/

I made lots of good cotton hankies. I make knickers and I keep bigger scraps for colour blocking, generally sweatshirts and tunics

I made very useful fabric weights
www.awilson.co.uk/super-easy-pattern-weights-tutorial/

I keep lawns etc for linings, hood, pockets etc

Curtaintwitcher Thu 29-Feb-24 08:59:20

keepcalmandcavachon

*Astitchintime*, I bought a beautifully embroidered pink table cloth from a charity shop for £4. Today if (when) it's rainy I shall cut some little bunny & egg shapes from 'spring' colour scraps and applique a few each on to it each evening.
I did this at Christmas, red & green holly leaves on to a white vintage cloth and it looked very pretty for not too much effort (or expense). You could sew a birthday one with appliqued candles all around, the world is your lobster!

That's an idea I shall copy. My son has a friend who does something similar with pictures.

Truffle43 Thu 29-Feb-24 09:18:11

I saw someone looking for scrap material on a local Facebook page. This lady teaches people about recycling and uses scraps to make projects with the groups . This lady was happy to take what ever I had. Maybe there is something like that near you .

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 29-Feb-24 09:21:17

Curtaintwitcher, I like this sort of thing as big projects can be off putting with painful hands and small ones too fiddly for the same reason! Happy crafting chums x

Witzend Thu 29-Feb-24 09:26:53

Not guilty as regards fabric, but I have a whole chest of drawers stuffed with knitting yarn…

SeaWoozle Thu 29-Feb-24 09:40:11

My Mum is an amazing seamstress. She makes all her own clothes. I've asked her to help me make some trousers as I've inherited my daughter's sewing machine. I've never really been into sewing. But saw someone with some really funky trousers a while back and when I asked where she got them, she told me she'd made them! I'm inspired!

My biggest passion is making jewellery. I have boxes and boxes of beads, findings, charms etc. It's my aim to set up my own business selling it in the near future.

Astitchintime Thu 29-Feb-24 09:45:02

karmalady

Scraps:

I lot of people make this with scraps

blog.closetcorepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/

I made lots of good cotton hankies. I make knickers and I keep bigger scraps for colour blocking, generally sweatshirts and tunics

I made very useful fabric weights
www.awilson.co.uk/super-easy-pattern-weights-tutorial/

I keep lawns etc for linings, hood, pockets etc

Thank you, karmalady, I like the idea of the pattern weights and those will definitely go. on my 'to do' list.

I have already made two pouffe/bean bag thingies which are great for the GC to lounge on as well as DD new puppy.

I have made cosmetic bags, but there's only so many of those that we need.

And what does anyone do with all the smaller scraps?? I have gifted to schools in the past for the children to use for collages etc.

SeaWoozle Thu 29-Feb-24 09:48:23

karmalady

And what does anyone do with all the smaller scraps?? I have gifted to schools in the past for the children to use for collages etc

I think my Mum used to smush them all together by felting bits of wool, or something! Can't quite remember how she did it!!

karmalady Thu 29-Feb-24 09:49:17

stuffing for toys

SeaWoozle Thu 29-Feb-24 09:52:06

karmalady

stuffing for toys

Sorry, tagged the wrong person before! I meant Astitchintime

Lilliesmum79 Thu 29-Feb-24 10:00:11

I'm addicted to knitting I've secret stashes of wool hiding in various places incase hubby finds it 😉 And I keep receiving squishy post too, it's maybe free with my new knitting magazines 🧶😜😂

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 29-Feb-24 10:31:46

I'm addicted to knitting I've secret stashes of wool hiding in various places incase hubby finds it 😉 And I keep receiving squishy post too, it's maybe free with my new knitting magazines 🧶😜😂
Lilliesmum79 I need to know the secret places........

loopyloo Thu 29-Feb-24 10:45:25

I have 3 sheds full of relics of my hobbies. Knitting, flower arranging, dress making, painting, chinese, gardening etc.
I am glad I'm not alone.

Witzend Thu 29-Feb-24 10:55:49

Re scraps of fabric, I seem to remember a bedcover at Jane Austen’s house at Chawton (?) made from bits left over from making their own dresses.

Not so much use nowadays, when most have duvets, but I seem to recall that it was very pretty, with more colourful fabrics than I’d have expected. Maybe their better-off relations passed on their own leftovers, too.