Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

The stash

(27 Posts)
MawsRosie Fri 04-Sept-26 11:56:25

I challenge anybody who has ever knitted, or crocheted etc to deny they have a stash of wool either still to be knitted, or leftover because it ‘might come in useful’ or just left over.

JenniRen Fri 04-Sept-26 12:12:47

A subject dear to my heart 😀

It's also known as SABLE (Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy).
The problem with mine is it's in neat boxes or wicker baskets, cleverly disguised around the house or hidden away under the stairs. Something I should get to grips with, although I do rearrange it sometimes which is very enjoyable.

yogitree Fri 04-Sept-26 12:16:41

Mine is a big ball of green Arran Wool, an unfinished 'blankie' and supporting wool, and half crochet'd yoga socks, in various stages with various wools awaiting attention (I'm stuck at the ankle turn confused

ginny Fri 04-Sept-26 12:22:24

Well, you do know there are two kinds of hobby don’t you.
The hobby itself and collecting for that hobby. Or , in my case several hobbies.

JenniRen Fri 04-Sept-26 12:27:21

The weather's been too hot to crochet or knit.
Good excuse.

Magenta8 Fri 04-Sept-26 12:48:37

I finally gave the last of the wool I was going to do something with to a charity shop.

I say that but I am willing to bet there is at least one sneaky skein lurking somewhere. I'd better go and check the chest of drawers in the spare room while I think about it.

glasses Fri 04-Sept-26 13:45:27

I buy yarn from the charity shop! I like multicoloured blankets and I make them for various relatives. I've just bought some transparent zipped boxes to store it and make it easy to see the colours. It's good for my arthritic fingers to keep moving.

karmalady Fri 04-Sept-26 13:58:50

I have a big stash of yarn and fluff for spinning, all safe and away from moths in secured boxes and even in two big drums. I buy from a local spinning mill in Devon, they use antique equipment.

It is good to know that my stash is an investment for me and a bit of help towards the mill, to help keep them going. The next open day is next summer and I will be there with a pocketful of money

I love my hobbies, they keep me content and grounded, working with animal fibre has this effect

CarrotTop Fri 04-Sept-26 14:05:07

I have several odd balls (and half-balls and bits-of-balls) of various colours and weights. Plus several bags with 2, 3 or 4 balls - too much for a scarf, not enough for a waistcoat). I admire people who can work out clever things to do with their stashes - I always end up making multi-coloured granny squares into dog blankets & giving them away!

merlotgran Fri 04-Sept-26 14:14:52

The problem with mine is it's in neat boxes or wicker baskets, cleverly disguised around the house or hidden away under the stairs

I wish mine was! 😫

Kittycat Fri 04-Sept-26 14:22:42

Mine is doing cross stitch. I have enough kits-usually bought as bday/xmas gifts to last me until I’m 150+ depending on my eyes and fingers lasting well enough to do it! Ive already had to stop for a few years as I had carpel tunnel and couldn’t hold a needle. Now been told have cataracts but should be long time till can’t see to sew. Also have large wool stash for if I can’t sew!

J52 Fri 04-Sept-26 14:38:45

The trouble is, every time I have a good idea to use the stash up, it grows into even smaller bits!
I have had a big clear out and given a lot to an eco recycling art project. Time to clear out more I think.

JenniRen Fri 04-Sept-26 15:22:18

karmalady

I have a big stash of yarn and fluff for spinning, all safe and away from moths in secured boxes and even in two big drums. I buy from a local spinning mill in Devon, they use antique equipment.

It is good to know that my stash is an investment for me and a bit of help towards the mill, to help keep them going. The next open day is next summer and I will be there with a pocketful of money

I love my hobbies, they keep me content and grounded, working with animal fibre has this effect

Is that the one at Uffculme?
It's a good trip out too if you're in the area.

JenniRen Fri 04-Sept-26 15:24:11

merlotgran

^The problem with mine is it's in neat boxes or wicker baskets, cleverly disguised around the house or hidden away under the stairs^

I wish mine was! 😫

I'm trying to work out which rooms don't have yarn around somewhere.

Esmay Fri 04-Sept-26 15:30:15

Oh dear another one just like me !
I'm up to 30 huge storage boxes full if books .
I haven't calculated how much fabric I've accumulated.
The knittting wool has been donated to the church .
Now as for art materials.....

JenniRen Fri 04-Sept-26 15:37:11

Oh yes, the fabric.
I wish you hadn't mentioned that.

Esmay Fri 04-Sept-26 21:46:16

In a fit of complete madness I bought more fabric the other day because it was on sale and a Liberty dupe .
When am I going to make something?
I have boxes and boxes of fabric .
And boxes of dress patterns.
I sent a stack to a friend who is wheelchair bound and makes clothes for her performing daughter.
But still temptation sets in ....

Purplepixie Sat 05-Sept-26 00:10:26

My stash is ridiculously big and I’m sure I have an illness because I will never use it all even if I live to 200!!

Rosie51 Sat 05-Sept-26 01:02:27

I have a very small yarn stash. My fabric stash was quite ridiculous for someone like me who watches sewing vlogs etc almost to the exclusion of actually sewing. I donated over50% of my stash to a lovely lady who supplies charity makers with supplies and feel so much better knowing it will be put to good use. That money is long since gone so I had no interest in trying to sell it to recoup my outgoings.
I really am convinced there are two types of hobby. One is securing supplies the other is actually using them! I'm expecting a fabric delivery soon. There was a half price sale on, it would have been rude not to acknowledge that 🤣

NotSpaghetti Sat 05-Sept-26 01:17:03

I am a weaver.
I usually weave very fine, threads - mainly "remaindered" silk. Consider it to be about the thickness of sewing cotton.
I do have some wools, a few linen cones and a little "fancy" yarn.

Now, a puzzle, bearing in mind the thickness of at least half of it... how long will it take me to use up about 100kg of it?
grin

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 05-Sept-26 10:12:16

I'm pretty good at sorting and passing on unused fabric and crafty bits normally, as I find that having too much choice actually a bit overwhelming and demotivating!
I sometimes make up themed snippet/scrappy bags for one of our charity shops, take them in and end up bringing home more doillies, embroidered traycloths & lace ect!
This is a good time of year to glean for vintage bits I find as we're in that old 'declutter before winter' mode grin

Beyerla Mon 14-Sept-26 12:28:33

It’s wonderful being a pensioner and having time for knitting, spinning or learning how to weave- the Rigid Heddle loom awaits. Buying more fiber is inspiring and rewarding. Quilting fabric is a stash growing. Hobby Heaven.

Norah Mon 14-Sept-26 13:10:30

I stash paint.

Paint pots, canvases, and brushes may take over this house.

I'm aware paint is not wool.

Witzend Mon 14-Sept-26 13:33:33

Mine takes up an entire 3 drawer chest (not a small one) - drawers are crammed. At the moment I’m on a using-up mission, aka no more orders from Wool Warehouse for a while - I’m only going to make items (for Knit for Nowt) with what I’ve got, so there’s a worry-eating frog and a ditto elephant limed up, both with matching hand puppets, and very likely another Rainbow Mog and Moglet, too.

There will come a point where despite a lot left, though, I’ll have to order more, since I won’t have enough of particular colours for anything - and I do always like to use the optimum colours. So many hours of knitting, but it won’t look as nice without the best colours for whatever it is.

I almost always order the same brand and colours, since leftovers are more likely to match up.

Witzend Mon 14-Sept-26 13:36:38

PS, one of the brilliant KfN pattern designers said the other day that she’s aiming for a Mount Knitimanjaro stash!