Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daft moments

(78 Posts)
GrandmaAnge Wed 29-Jun-11 19:46:05

Does anyone else have daft moments? I've just managed to stop myself flinging out the milk bottles to the birds, while the handful of bread for them remained on the kitchen table.
The best one I heard was my friend Audrey when I was office-based. She arrived early at work one day carryng a full Marks & Spencer bag. "I didn't know they opened so early," I said to her, eyeing the bag.
She looked at it like she'd only just noticed it and said: "Eeek! I was on my way to the bin with this - it's full of rubbish!" She'd carried it all the way to work and even sat with it on the bus.

riclorian Wed 13-Jul-11 18:51:47

Have you ever had a shower with your bra on ? I have !! A very dear aunt was once making sandwiches for her family when the door bell rang , thinking it was the insurance man she called out 'come in Mr Marmite ' I would love to have seen his face !!

harrigran Thu 14-Jul-11 00:40:24

Yes riclorian I went in the shower with my bra on, I came off the badminton court removed skirt and top and nipped into the cubicle pushing the controls as I went. I only ever did it once but I was in a hurry, made for an interesting journey home. I always carried a spare set of underwear after that.

Annobel Thu 14-Jul-11 06:39:42

Never with my bra on, but several times with my glasses on.

fillygumbo Fri 15-Jul-11 11:06:46

Grandmaange, this reminded me of an awful thing I did on hokliday in Portugal, I had been carrying a bag round all day with bits of food, beach stuff etc, we went into a shop for my then young daughter to try on some shoes and I picked up the bag beside me and walked out of the shop with it only to be chased by an irate lady who thought I had stolen her bag, no I explained it was mine only to look down and find it was nothing like my own which I had left in the car I have never been so embarrassed!

Grandmacool Fri 15-Jul-11 11:56:51

I have tried to open the front door of the house with the automatic car key and then wondering why it wouldn`t work.
Have also thrown left overs in the dishwasher and the plates in the bin.

helshea Fri 15-Jul-11 17:08:12

I've just been to my local Booths supermarket (northern you see) .. and just heard an elderly very smart gentleman asking the assistant if they stocked Dr White's... luckily the assistant was quite young and didn't see anything funny about this, just looking at him puzzled. ... however his wife looked horrified, and quite a few of the ladies of a certain age in the area were grinning slightly..... eventually it became clear that he meant "R whites" lemonade, not the sanitary item we all knew and loved.. NOT!!

Annika Fri 15-Jul-11 23:10:32

helshea you made me laugh.
I asked my son to get me some durex batteries.... I should have said duracell batteries blush

glassortwo Sat 16-Jul-11 07:41:56

My husband asked me to pass him a couple of headache tablets while I was in the kitchen, about 1 hour later he said did you bring those tablets my heads not getting any better, when I thought about I had got them out and proceeded to take them my self......... needless to say i didnt get a headache.

Baggy Sat 16-Jul-11 07:56:01

glass, that made me laugh! grin

helshea, my mum loves Booths too. In fact, she is a Booth, but not related to the shop family.

glassortwo Sat 16-Jul-11 08:00:49

My husbands Gran would before she went to bed would take a headache tablet incase she had a 'head' in the morning.

Baggy Sat 16-Jul-11 09:15:13

Very nearly — just stopped myself in time! — moisturised my face with toothpaste this morning.

Annobel Sat 16-Jul-11 09:20:07

Ah well, Baggy - just imagine if you'd cleaned your teeth with moisturiser!grin

crimson Sat 16-Jul-11 09:40:11

Toothpaste is very good for cold sores I believe [if you don't have aciclovir handy]. Went through a phase of having cold sores a while back; don't have much of a social life but it always happened just before a party or something and I ended up looking like the elephant man. I'm always trying to put a pair of glasses on..over the pair I'm already wearing.

jangly Sat 16-Jul-11 09:44:10

I just started typing a message in the 'user name' box on the log in page.

Coming on top of doing that test, its worrying.

helshea Sat 16-Jul-11 09:47:54

Just took my son a cup of tea, and he is away for the week?

jangly Sat 16-Jul-11 09:49:24

helshea. grin grin

Glad its not only me.
smile

helshea Sat 16-Jul-11 09:51:50

I'm just glad I didnt make him a "full english" grin

jangly Sat 16-Jul-11 10:16:12

Helshea, you have made me feel really guilty now. I've never taken mine up a cup of tea apart from when he was poorly of course. blush
I don't think I've been a very good mum.

greenmossgiel Sat 16-Jul-11 10:30:01

Whilst I was still working (in a care facility), I staggered into and out of the car with my workbag, handbag and 2 (thankfully sealed) plastic bags. When I reached my hallway, I realised what I'd done. I'd meant to drop the plastic bags in the 'appropriate' bins before leaving work, but got straight into the car instead. They contained personal waste.....(used pads etc) (blush]

helshea Sat 16-Jul-11 10:34:25

Jangly, don't worry, it is one day out of seven, who do you think makes the brews the other six days? .... as far as the breakfast is concerned, hasn't happened, isn't happening, and won't happen... smile

helshea Sat 16-Jul-11 10:37:32

greenmossgiel, that made me laugh grin But not as bad has a friend of my mothers who put some clothes in a bag for the launderette and her husband put them out with the bins.... yes you have guessed it - last seen in the back of a refuse truck sad

Annobel Sat 16-Jul-11 10:43:30

In the days when I lived in Norfolk, the bin men were still allowed to collect the refuse from around the back of the house and you had to be very careful not to park your bikes too close to the bin!

harrigran Sat 16-Jul-11 10:58:34

A neighbour was going on an exotic holiday and a friend promised to lend her appropriate silk clothes for lightness. Friend calls at house but neighbour is out for day, large bag of clothes left on doorstep awaiting return of occupant. Arrival of charity collection van bye,bye very swish holiday clothes shock

yogagran Sat 16-Jul-11 20:42:15

It's so reassuring to know that we all have those "senior moments".
I ended up in the supermarket recently with a letter in my hand and realised that I had posted my shopping list hmm

Gally Sat 16-Jul-11 20:50:18

A friend was telling me about her newly decorated hall .....'and' she said ' it's got a lovely floral dildo all the way up the stairs'.. shock