Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to wear at a funeral

(45 Posts)
HappyGran Sun 10-Jul-11 23:19:24

I'd appreciate your advice on this. If the weather is warm is it acceptable to not wear a jacket? Also, is it best to avoid wearing trousers? Thank you.

Annobel Wed 20-Jul-11 21:38:43

Tom Lehrer - Yes! I hadn't thought of him. I must start writing my instructions sooner rather than later...

Elegran Wed 20-Jul-11 21:44:59

At the funeral of a good friend the music as we left the crematorium was to the tune "When the saints go marching in" but the words were as sung on the Hibees terracing - where he was a regular. Everyone left with a smile on their face.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:17:13

Just been skimming through this thread as we have to go to a funeral of a neighbour this afternoon. I would normally wear a skirt but the weather is appalling, so I think, having read some posts, that trousers will be fine. My smart mac is black anyway.

Thanyou, Gnetters

Galen Fri 14-Feb-14 11:22:56

Just don't wear coloured stones. Emeralds, rubies etc, pearls are ok as are diamonds.
Don't know where I read that , but I did somewhere.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:26:16

I've never heard that! Must get the diamonds out of the vault. They do say pearls for tears don't they.

JessM Fri 14-Feb-14 11:47:33

Gosh that really does sound like faux pas of the year galen wearing ones rubies to a funeral. Must store that in my memory bank. Did you go to Swiss finishing school? I always thought you went to medical school. confused
Mac compulsory margaret - hope for your sake there is not a graveside phase today. Last funeral i went to was confused to be given a little coloured ribbon thing to pin onto coat. Turns out it was the team colours of his favourite football club.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:06:44

No, it's not outside. But very cold and wet here today.

Gally Fri 14-Feb-14 12:47:56

I wore grey trousers with a long black tunic/jumper top with a bright turquoise pashmina to J's funeral which was in February. TBQH I didn't notice what anyone else wore and wasn't really bothered so long as they didn't rock up in jeans. I just wanted to inject a bit of colour and he would have liked that. I saw photos of Roger Lloyd Pack's funeral yesterday - what a scruffy lot most of the mourners were, but I suppose they are all ACtOrs, so anything goes but many of them looked as if they had fallen out of bed straight into the Church shock. At a winter funeral you will probably wear a coat so it really doesn't matter what's underneath!

Soutra Fri 14-Feb-14 12:48:13

We were at a family funeral in East Lothian in January (cold and wet!) and the majority of the women ( probab mostly in their 60s were in black trousers and grey/ black and white or camel coats or jackets. One was in a wonderful deep violet but none were in head to toe black.

Soutra Fri 14-Feb-14 12:49:55

Oh and of course I wore pearls Galen!

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:02:32

Well, I often wear black, so probably will anyway, it was just the trouser/skirt thing, but trousers it is (wool) with boots as it is both cold and wet.
Wellies are already in the car.

Galen Fri 14-Feb-14 13:20:55

I wore a. Lack suit and white top to my husbands funeral and of course, the lovely triple string of pearls that had been his last present to me.

Galen Fri 14-Feb-14 13:24:59

JessM you'd be astonished at the things I was taught at school.
Eg. At an interview, stand in front of your chair, then edge backwards until you feel it behind your leg, then sink gracefully into it. Malntain eye comtact with the panel at all times,
Never kiss a boy unless you're going to marry him
Lastly. You should not meet boys!

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:43:06

We weren't outside much today, I wore my trousers plus diamonds (well a ring). All went fine, although we aren't family, just neighbours. So why did I cry so much during one of the hymns? I cannot maintain a stiff upper lip like H.M.
They played some Acker Bilk right at the end which he loved.

The conditions coming back were monsoon-like.

Thankyou all for your advice.

Deedaa Fri 14-Feb-14 20:48:06

Back in the 80's the wife of a friend died very suddenly in her 40's. The widower decided we should all wear our brightest clothes and he wore a bright pink velvet jacket and purple trousers because that was how she liked him (Hippies!) It was all very colourful and as they were not religious friends just stood up and talked about what she meant to them. It was different, but really represented her as a person.

If an interviewee maintained constant eye contact with the panel today I should think they'd all be reaching for the garlic and crucifixes Galen

Soutra Fri 14-Feb-14 21:19:48

I can usually hold it together until the hymns start sad but at MIL's serviceit was the hymns which provided the light relief. A very dear friend had had to bring his greyhound Albert with him in the car as there was no one to let him out at home. We couldn't leave him at MIL's house as he would have scoffed all the "funeral meats"but the Rector of the parish church said he could stay in the vestry. He was very good until the first hymn when he must have lifted up his head and joined in!! He howled his way through subsequent hymns and we laughed through our tears - MIL had a great sense of fun and would have loved it!

Sook Fri 14-Feb-14 21:48:54

Soutra grin. I once knew a greyhound called Bob, he could howl like a banshee and although a handsome boy he had been returned several times to the rescue because of this. Happily Bob was finally adopted by a cremation technician. I have to say that neither of my greyhounds bark let alone howl.

Galen Fri 14-Feb-14 21:50:55

But I always maintain eye contact whether interviewer or interviewee !

[Soutra I'm the same. It's the hymns that get me going.
I once visited a church I wanted to see. There was funeral finishing. I sat quietly at the back to wait.
They started the last hymn and I started to cry.
I had no idea whose funeral it was!

Iam64 Sat 15-Feb-14 09:27:35

Soutra - fabulous story about the greyhound at the funeral. grin