Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Husband and his dog

(37 Posts)
defnotnanny Mon 03-Oct-11 13:51:18

Would value some opinions on this one. My daughter is expecting her first baby (IVF and much longed for) at the end of November. She and her husband have asked me to stay with them peri-natally to help out (they live over 200 miles away) and I am thrilled they have asked me. My husband (who is my daughter's stepfather) may come too, subject to work commitments. However my husband has a dog which he expects to bring with him. Normally I fully accept his attachment to his dog. We have been married for 7 years and the dog has been around longer than I have and I know my place! My daughter and my husband get on very well, but the last time we stayed with them, the dog attacked their cat who went missing for over a week. My husband assumes that everyone adores his dog (not the case!), but understandably my daughter is not keen for the dog to come on this occasion and I support her in this. It will be an anxious enough time as it is. My husband would not consider boarding the dog (he would sooner put me in kennels!) and friends who have looked after the dog in the past won't have him now. He is 14 and very `needy' and barks incessantly if my husband isn't around. I would like to keep the peace all round but am at a loss as to how to keep everyone happy. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

syberia Sat 10-Dec-11 06:54:34

Oh how wonderful! so glad everything went well. Congrats to all

Ariadne Sat 10-Dec-11 06:56:30

Oh good! Glad it all worked out for you. And hello to Henry!

Gally Sat 10-Dec-11 08:43:54

Congratulations and hello Henry smile

Annobel Sat 10-Dec-11 08:54:31

thanks to proud grandma, parents and Henry. Congratulations

Carol Sat 10-Dec-11 09:27:13

Such wonderful news - congratulations and glad it all worked out well for you thanks

bagitha Sat 10-Dec-11 09:58:26

Congratulations, defnot! Welcome to the world, little Henry!

gracesmum Sat 10-Dec-11 12:43:00

Congratulations on Henry's arrival thanks and I just wanted to say I am so glad the dog issue resolved itself. I am the doggiest person around but our dear mutt goes into kennels reguarly if I/we are visiting DD, away for a long day or overnight and even when DD and family come here or when GS comes to stay for the weekend. Fortunately she doesn't seem to mind too much (although I feel like a traitor) but SIL won't have a dog in the house and even DD who was brought up with dogs is wary of a dog around her babies. Personally it makes life a bit easier, if more expensive, one less complication! Kennels these days can be like a holiday home for dogs and you never know when you might need one in an emergency, so I would recommend looking around either for a really nice one or investigating one of those house/dog sitting services for future reference.

supernana Sat 10-Dec-11 13:01:53

defnotnanny thanks wonderful news. Hello Henry, well done dear husband for doing the right thing...and a pat for your dog.

crimson Sat 10-Dec-11 13:27:48

Great news; common sense prevailed [even in a man confused]! Thanks for the update.

granto7 Sat 10-Dec-11 13:46:30

Hello defnot now definitenanny Many Congratulations on the safe arrival of your first grandchild Enjoy thanks

glammanana Sat 10-Dec-11 15:43:38

congradulations to you and yours at this lovely time well done winethanks