Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How Would You Like to be Told your DIL is expecting?

(59 Posts)
HoneyCake35 Fri 02-Dec-11 22:29:38

Hello.
My husband and I have just found out I am pregnant. This is our first baby but will be my PILs 7th grandchild! My husband's brothers both have 3 children each.
I have no parents - they died when i was a child so I am probably more excited about telling my Mother-in-law than other daughters-in-law. The PIL know that we have been trying and MIL has been very supportive and (again probably because I don't have a mum) has heard all about our fetility treatment (it has taken almost 2 years).
How would you, as a MIL like to be told - taken out for dinner, come to us for lunch, surprise popin, surely not phone(!), wait until Christmas day (silly grandpa / ma mugs) or NYE - we will be with them for both and can have some time on our own with them (too soon to tell everyone).

Would it matter if your DIL did the speaking you rather than your son?

grannyactivist Mon 05-Dec-11 10:31:52

A very dear friend of mine has an adored son with disabilities which were detected at the 12 week scan; so when she became pregnant again she only told her immediate family and me - she wanted to wait until the 12 week scan before letting others know. I felt amazingly privileged to be sharing such a lovely secret. She's now had the 12 week scan and all is well. Honeycake I think your PIL's will be absolutely delighted to be told the news and can enjoy the prospect of sharing in all the delights of your pregnancy. smile

gma Mon 05-Dec-11 10:53:09

My dear Dad died on Christmas Eve 9 years ago after a long and horrible illness. My son and DIL had already told us that they were expecting their first baby but did not want to tell anyone else until they had their scan. Of course I was dreadfully upset about my Dad but the knowledge of the new addition somehow tempered the sadness I was feeling. On Christmas Day the family (small!!) were all at our house including my mum who was putting a very brave face on for the sake of the rest of the family and our other two small grandsons.. During the afternoon my son and daughter took my mum to one side and told her that they had a very special present for her!!! She was going to have to wait a while for it but it would be arriving in July the following year. It suddenly dawned on her what it was. She was so pleased for them-everybody was in tears- but it really did make our Christmas happier just knowing that there was something good to look forward to. My daughter had already guessed the good news as DIL was off the alcohol!!!! grin

yogagran Mon 05-Dec-11 12:14:16

Delighted that you have decided to tell them honeycake they'll be SO excited, as will the rest of the family. Thanks for sharing your news with us, do keep us informed as to how the revelation goes

raggygranny Mon 05-Dec-11 14:39:53

honeycake I hope you will come on here when your baby is born and tell us about it!

dorsetpennt Mon 05-Dec-11 16:39:44

With my first GD my son rang me as soon as the test came up positive,they can't keep a secret. For the second one my DIL took the test at work and sent a photo on her mobile - as I was visiting at the time I saw it on my son's phone - as I said waiting for the 1st scan doesn't come into it. I now have another lovely GD age 2 weeks old.

Libradi Mon 05-Dec-11 20:01:22

Congratulations honeycake what lovely news for you to tell your in-laws. thanks

nanachrissy Mon 05-Dec-11 20:07:39

Congratulations Dorset I have one of 7 weeks. Gorgeous aren't they?

harrigran Tue 06-Dec-11 11:18:12

You sound as lovely as my DIL Honeycake I think you are quite right to tell PIL sooner rather than later, now you have told thousands of us Grans. We are quite good at keeping secrets, actually we are not , we get excited and blurt it out when we hear good news grin

granzilla Thu 08-Dec-11 20:19:23

Honeycake.What's not to like.You and your in law family(and your husband)sound gorgeous.Congratulations,Mazel Tov,and all of the luck in the world from a very teary Granzilla.See AIBU to know the teary bit(good tears though). Mx.

maxgran Tue 13-Dec-11 11:30:54

My son told me both times he & my DiL were expecting.
The first time he just popped to where I worked ( on his own) and told me - the second time he asked me to pop round to their house to see soemthing and they both told me when I was there.

Neither time was made into a big special announcement,.it didn't need to be.

I didn't give it too much thought as to how I was told at the time,.. I was just thrilled and so happy !
I like what Annobel's son did though - That must have been a lovely surprise !

Pennysue Tue 13-Dec-11 16:03:33

I hope I am never told as I dislike my DS's new wife intensely - I am usually a good judge of character and my first impression was not favourable, but I talked myself into "judge not" he seems to be happier etc. Did not tell the my sisters or mother how I felt, but they have since revealed that they are not keen either.

whenim64 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:56:10

My son has recently divorced after an acrimonious divorce. Both parties have moved on, and ex-DIL had a baby about 3 months ago. My son has been in a new relationship for 8 months, and they seem to be very happy. She is a lovely woman and I'm very pleased for them. They've moved in together (bit quick?) and now they are having a baby. We all joked 'you could have given her time to get her coat off!' They both acknowledge they didn't wait to plan a baby, but reasoned that they are both 37 and want a child. They've told my grandson that he has another baby brother or sister on the way and he is not impressed, given he has a new baby brother at home. I'm excited about having another grandchild, despite any reservations, and they knew I would be. Next February, I will be jumping up and down with the euphoria of having another baby in the family smile

gracesmum Wed 26-Sep-12 12:01:38

Just looking at this post and I suppose Honeycake has had her baby ages ago - hope all is well and wonder how the announcement was received? Tears I bet!!

anneandgraham Wed 26-Sep-12 12:29:05

how exciting for you whenim!!

my son now moved in with his new partner, bit quick too I feel, she had 2 sons 11 and 13 but would always welcome the chance of being a gran again!!

more of less given up on seeing our daugher little ones tho must keep little hope alive!!

anneandgraham Wed 26-Sep-12 12:30:38

honey cake congratulations, I think somehow be best tell them together??!!
that is how I would like to hear I reckon!! lovely thought.

best of luck.

JessM Wed 26-Sep-12 12:30:55

oh lovely for you when to have another grandchild to look forward to. And some wonderful people were not the result of planned pregnancies. My family is stacked with 'em

whenim64 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:37:22

Yes, don't give up anne as there might always be something around the corner that changes things smile

annodomini Wed 26-Sep-12 12:40:11

Lovely news, when. Congrats to all concerned. Your GS will come round - he's not at an age to be excited by babies!

Greatnan Wed 26-Sep-12 12:42:16

My news now would be that my grand-daughter or gd-in-law was pregnant again - I hope the other four gd will finish their education first. Even when one of my ten gc was obviously unplanned and somewhat inconvenient, they were all welcomed with the same joy and excitement. No, it never gets less, no matter how many you have!

harrigran Wed 26-Sep-12 12:52:33

Congratulations when I have never met a young boy that got excited about babies smile

Butternut Wed 26-Sep-12 13:05:55

when - Grand news! smile

glammanana Wed 26-Sep-12 17:48:15

Oh when how envy I am of you and your fabulous news I would love a baby in the family but don't think it will happen for quite a while yet.As to moving in together quickly I really don't think it makes a difference,if it feels right for them then it is right so give them my best wishes.

Gally Wed 26-Sep-12 18:04:36

Great news when. How exciting.
I am all babied out right now but when I've caught my breath, I'll be back in baby mode again [exhausted emoticon] grin

whenim64 Wed 26-Sep-12 18:07:43

Thank you - you are all so philosophical about my news, which is how I've tried to be. After his terrible divorce, the thought of a baby arriving is both exciting and scary, but he certainly has a very different partner now, and her two children are adorable (4 and 7). She is divorced, too, and she's laid back about the children being able to spend time with their dad. Very civilised after recent experiences with ex-DIL! They both say they know how to appreciate a decent person when they find one, so I feel optimistic for them.

flowerfriend Wed 26-Sep-12 18:10:22

when Brilliant!. Congratulations!