Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Swaddling - good or bad?

(57 Posts)
jeni Sun 22-Apr-12 11:38:25

Neither of my 2 could bear to be wrapped and now dgd won't be also.

glammanana Sun 22-Apr-12 11:30:25

All of my three where swaddled in light all cotton sheets and they where all good sleepers (maybe DS1 not as good as other two) they where also laid in their pram without a pillow until they where 9/10 mths old as my old nana said this kept their backs strong now I do see babies propped up on pillows in their prams from such an early age I'm sure it can't be good for future posture

Pennysue Sun 22-Apr-12 11:22:55

Funny how these things come back. When I had my children (over 40 years ago) the District Nurse/Midwife suggested swaddling - her reasoning was that the baby had been very confined in the last few weeks of pregnancy and to be suddenly unconfined with the feeling of "wide open space" and different light and sound was disconcerting for the baby.

Like others I swaddled in large muslin squares for just a few weeks and it did seem to work.

When my sister had a baby (at home) a few years later swaddling had gone out of fashion. Her baby was very miserable etc. and I got a "cry from the heart" please come I cannot cope! I suggested swaddling and lo and behold baby slept. Horror of horrors I also suggested putting her down on her front!

Mine also slept on their fronts! Could lift their heads and turn from side to side very quickly. Never felt comfortable about lying babies on their backs, seem to me they were more likely to choke.

Gally Sun 22-Apr-12 11:08:05

Tiny babies feel secure when tightly wrapped - my daughter in Oz swaddled hers in a large muslin so they weren't too overheated but secure at the same time. It certainly helped the sleep when they were first born.

tanith Sun 22-Apr-12 10:37:07

I had a square cotton sheet that I used to swaddle my newborns in, I did it with all three of mine and they were very good sleepers when very young waking regularly for a breast feed , but I only did it for a couple of months or so . We had no central heating in those days and as we lived in a tiny flat I was most often in the same room as the baby anyway. I don't see that there is a problem with it as long as Mum is also keeping an eye on how warm baby is.

Greatnan Sun 22-Apr-12 09:53:27

Over heating is thought to be one cause of cot death, I think.
I am not sure you can do anything about your daughter's way of looking after her baby. I think having a baby close to its mother by way of a sling or back pack is a good idea during the day, but I would not recommend it when the child is put down on its own.

fatfairy Sun 22-Apr-12 09:49:23

My daughter swaddles her baby, born 4th April 2012, when she puts her down to sleep. The baby looks as though she's trussed up: she can't move her arms and legs about (although she tries very hard at times). I'm told that she sleeps better; that having her limbs waving about involuntarily wakes her up, and she did give herself a tiny scratch on her face the other day when she was put to sleep without. (I've explained about nibbling off baby's fingernails as they get longer).

Swaddling seems to be the current fashion (DD has at least 2 branded swaddling wraps), whereas I thought that it was originally intended to allow the mother to carry on working in the fields or wherever, and that babies need to move about to build up muscle strength and awareness of their own body.

Advice gratefully received! and if the consensus is against swaddling, what can I reasonably do about it? (mild expressions of surprise and concerns having had no discernible effect so far).