Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to be called now i'm a Grandma?

(62 Posts)
pammygran Fri 18-May-12 11:58:57

3 day old gorgeous grandaughter..my daughter wants to know what I whant to be called..not keen on Granny..my mum was Goer, probably because my son always saw her whizzing about in her mini!

littlemo Fri 18-May-12 17:24:04

My little granddaughter calls me Gran. She tries to call my DH grandad but it comes out as dada. My daughter gets embarrassed when out with him when the little one chats to people and refers to mummy and dada in case people assume they are a couple.

pammygran Fri 18-May-12 18:36:36

thank u very much I think Gransnet is amazing

Sbagran Fri 18-May-12 18:54:54

Congratulations pammygran - you will be in the clouds for a long time yet! My 'first' was born 14yrs ago but I still remember being in a high for months and months and months and months!
We were lucky enough to still have my Mum when my first and second grandchildren were born and as she was called 'Nanajoy' by my kiddies we decided she would keep that name and decided against Nana or Nan for me - so Grandma it was, but I must admit I do like it !!!
Reading some of the other posts I had to smile as they brought back memories!
When my brothers and I were small we had both maternal and paternal grandparents - the full set. Our paternal grandmother was very well endowed (so to speak shock ) and was always known as 'Big Nana' - poor maternal grandmother was 'Little Nana' but she was always my 'Nan' bless her smile

vampirequeen Fri 18-May-12 21:42:15

I'm grandma but my mum was adament she was going to be a nana because she said grandma made her sound old.

nanaej Fri 18-May-12 22:08:39

welcome to your grand daughter pammygran & to you too.

My mum and her mum were both Nana so I carried on that tradition and am very happy with that name! My OH was to have been grandpa like his dad but DGD1 came out with Gaga!! It stuck, partly because my daughters and I thought it was funny so did not discourage it! GD1 now calls him Gargs which is being picked up by the two younger ones!

My daughter taught a little girl who referred to her grandmothers as Grandma Chicken ( because they always had a roast chiken dinner at her house) and Grandma Kingston because that is where she lived!

Banananana Sat 19-May-12 06:43:54

Congratulations Pammygran on becoming a Grandparent. I was asked the same, isn't it thoughtful of them to ask us? I chose Nana but did say I guess it'll be whatever the little ones come out with and I'll be happy with whatever their version turns out to be, so far my lil grandson seems to say nanny more than nana. Enjoy your little Grandaughter, they really do brighten up any day. smile

Ariadne Sat 19-May-12 06:52:49

I was going to be granny, when DG1 was on the way, because my mother was till alive and she was Nannie. But she died before the baby arrived, so I became Nannie!

flowerfriend Sat 19-May-12 09:00:16

I wanted to be called Granny and one GD calls me that - she used to call me aeroplane Granny as the normal way to visit me in SW France is by plane. The other two call me Nanny Flower. I dont actually like the Nanny bit but kids make their minds up about these things themselves and it sticks.

nightowl Sat 19-May-12 09:08:19

My daughter decided I was to be nanny while she was pregnant and although I don't like it I have got used to it now. My grandson is 20 months and still doesn't have many words so doesn't call me anything yet (though he does say grandad - grrrr) and I am secretly hoping he will come up with his own name for me.
Congratulations and enjoy every minute flowers

ninathenana Sat 19-May-12 11:19:11

congratulations pammygran

DD asked me what I would like to be called, so I'm nana, somehow dosen't sound quiet so old as granny,gran,nan. We say granny when talking to DGS about my mum.

True what someone else has said it's easy for them to learn to say. DGS speach isn't that clear but nana comes out loud and clear grin.

DGS christened his grandad....... ranran.

cangran Sun 20-May-12 09:33:18

Exciting news when you become a grandmother for the first time! My first grandchild is 14 months old and I think I'll just wait and see what he decides to call me. I just hope he doesn't follow his great auntie Ruth, my older sister, who named our grandmothers Big Grandma and Tiny Grandma - as my daughter's mother-in-law is very short! hmm

POGS Mon 21-May-12 21:59:38

Pammygran. Who cares what we all think, it's upto you. I am however nanny, my G.D's other is gran. Then there is grandma and great gran for the great grandmothers. I think you will find out soon what you feel comfortable with but don't be a snob about it. Just enjoy the love and cuddles, that's your job and I just know what you are called will be of no consequence.

Have fun.

Mobell Mon 21-May-12 22:18:31

I'm Granny (what we always called ours when I was wee) and DG's other is Grandma, he tells his parents off if they mix us up,he knows the difference and he doesn't see us very often except on Skype, both grandads are Grandad

pammygran Thu 24-May-12 15:28:19

Many thanks for good wishes...saw little one on Tuesday, she is gorgeous! How one forgets, they are so weeny at a week old, really lovely to see her but nice to hand her back...iv'e done all that!

baNANA Thu 24-May-12 17:46:14

I'm nana because that's what I called my grandmas. The other one's nanny, but my husband calls her Granny Gutbucket because she never stops interfering. We were away for a week with our son, having recently separated, and granddaughter who's two, and she, the other grandmother, insisted on ringing up and speaking to grandchild daily. Sometimes she was asleep, or doing something interesting or simply didn't want to be dragged to the phone. We wouldn't do the same when she stays with them, which is about on average 10 days a month. My son was quite happy for our granddaughter to speak to her mother whenever she rang, but was quite fed up with his ex partner's mother ringing up daily. She even left messages to the effect "I know I'm being a nuisance, but I have to speak to her every day".

Pennysue Thu 24-May-12 18:04:44

To my Grandchildren I am Nana, which I love, as my Nana loved me. My Grandmother was a ..................!

Now I am a GGM (I am only 63) not sure what I want to be called (just my given name would do ) but I am definitely not going to be Great Grandmother.

goose1964 Fri 01-Jun-12 10:29:05

I worried about this & am now a happy Granny

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 10:38:09

Geegee!

Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 16:31:28

Pennysue - you beat me by two years - I was 65 when I became a great grandmother. I wonder who is our youngest great gm? And our youngest grandmother?
For some reason, my great gd's call me Nanny-noo.
I never had any grandparents - my mother was 42 when I was born and people were not so long-lived. I really used to envy girls at school who were always going to their nan's house.
My daughter's MIL is NannyVal and I am now just Nan as they are mostly adults now.

purplehairstreak Thu 12-Jul-12 17:25:09

I wanted Nana until my French DIL told me it was the brand name of a sanitary towel in France.........so Nanny I have become, and I love hearing my granddaughter say it.

AlieOxon Thu 12-Jul-12 18:07:38

I'm Grandma because my mum was Nan.

Penarthgran Thu 12-Jul-12 18:14:25

Congratulations. I'm Grandma and happy to be so.

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Jul-12 18:23:58

I am looking to decide that in September when #1 arrives. I think my "co-in law" the other gran will probably be Grandma as she is to SILs neice and nephew. I will probably settle for Nan or Nana. My kids grand Mothers were differentiated as "Nanny Ivy" and "Nanny Edna."

AlieOxon Thu 12-Jul-12 19:27:24

Interesting that my grandmothers were 'Gran Little' and 'Gran Jackson' - no first names then!
Don't think we ever saw them at the same time so 'Gran' was fine....

granmouse Thu 12-Jul-12 21:21:55

My username is what my step grandchildren call me [I love it] and my blood gc call me grandma which is special too.