Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please

(55 Posts)
jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 13:35:56

My DD has phoned this am, she is not happy with the childminder. Apparently GD was very tired at childminders so was put down for a nap. She then cried and was left to cry for 7mins while she listened outside the door. DD thinks minder should have stayed with her and says GD is is now more clingy!
She has never been left to cry as DD does not approve of the cry it out theory!
She is supposed to be going back to teaching p/t after half term.
What can I say to her?
I now feel upset and helpless!
Help.

Mamie Sat 02-Jun-12 14:41:49

Ella, my DGDs were in nursery full time from 6 months. They are happy, confident and sociable little girls who had no problems settling at school. It was a very good nursery and the care was wonderful.

MargaretX Sat 02-Jun-12 15:10:44

My daughter had a nursery for under three s together with another friend. She is a midwife and her friend a children's nurse( hospital trained) They met training as 'Tages Mutter' this is an 8 week full time training with child care to enable women to look after other people's children. Some go on to do full time work in the house of a full time mother and lots of professional women prefer a Tages Mutter who comes to the house and stays there all day, to a nursery.

They started their nursery but had no children full time and were not allowed to have more than 5 babies at a time. The rules in Germany are very strict for the under twos and you don't make much money at it like they seem to do in the UK.
Both young women went back to their original jobs, but the nursery which we all fixed up ourselves, painted and sewed curtains etc. that is still going. It was lovely, warm and cosy with a big safe garden, a kitchen where fresh food was prepared. But some children took a long time to settle in and were given this time even it if it took a month. Some were better off there than at home!

Ella46 Sat 02-Jun-12 16:20:52

I think this thread just highlights the fact that we are all individuals, right from birth. Some cope, some don't! Some need lots of cuddles and some are very independent.

Me...I like cuddles,especially from babies. smile

Jeni I hope all turns out well in the end,I'm sure it will. sunshine

nanaej Sat 02-Jun-12 17:04:19

Think there are some very good day care nurseries but also some poor ones too. Low pay and low qualifications, in understanding about what small children need to develop healthily in mind and body, do not always support high quality experiences for the babies and toddlers sad.