Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please

(54 Posts)
Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 13:53:47

It could be that the baby is not quite ready for complete separation, after having such intense attention from her mum. Could your daughter start to 'wean' her off the sling gradually?

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 13:45:00

No she goes to the childminders who has a couple of other children to look after as well.Gd is 11months old. She is just not used to being left at all when awake! She is a Velcro baby! Dd carries her around in a sling when she is not playing with her!

Greatnan Fri 01-Jun-12 13:41:07

I am with your daughter on this, jeni - babies cry for a reason and I would be very unhappy if one of mine had been left to cry. I can't give you the source, but I heard a news item recently saying that some research had found that babies who were left to cry had more emotional problems in later life.
Practically, can she tell the childminder how she feels, and will her opinion be accepted? Was there any logical reason for the baby to be left so long (7 minutes is a long time). Is the baby looked after in your DD's own home? If so, could she install some covert equipment to monitor what happens?

jeni Fri 01-Jun-12 13:35:56

My DD has phoned this am, she is not happy with the childminder. Apparently GD was very tired at childminders so was put down for a nap. She then cried and was left to cry for 7mins while she listened outside the door. DD thinks minder should have stayed with her and says GD is is now more clingy!
She has never been left to cry as DD does not approve of the cry it out theory!
She is supposed to be going back to teaching p/t after half term.
What can I say to her?
I now feel upset and helpless!
Help.