Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anybody got any emotions?

(82 Posts)
Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 15:34:45

Anger, love, peace, acceptance, courageousness, pride, apathy, grief, fear, lust.

List of top level emotions that we have to come to terms with and sort out from time to time.

Do we blokes ever admit to creating these emotions from our feelings?
Do we admit to being in one or more of these conditions?
What helps us back into balanced states? Daman (or Keith)

amandaward2 Thu 29-Aug-13 15:11:04

I am a grandma
My son has recently had problems seeing his daughter and to cut a long story short I'm in a mess as my granddaughter lives within 2 mins walking distance from my house and its killing me knowing we cant see her until it has gone through the courts.
Today my sons ex will have received a letter from the solicitors stating if contact is not permitted court action will be taken.
I cant cope please help!!!!

Ariadne Mon 17-Dec-12 21:31:03

anno no more than I'd expect! smile

annodomini Mon 17-Dec-12 21:24:33

Ariadne, I could have written every word of your post myself. smile

whenim64 Mon 17-Dec-12 21:10:52

That's the first time I've heard that one 'Mainac.' Handy to remember.

Maniac Mon 17-Dec-12 20:47:19

Nelliemoser
There is a spelling rule .. double consonants after short vowels ...which may help.
I learned this along with other spelling rules in my OU diploma in 'Reading Development'.Some of my colleagues were not aware of them...and of course there are exceptions to every rule!!!

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Dec-12 07:37:11

I am a bad handwriter and typist, letters get in the wrong place when I do either. I can generally spell long words if they are phonetic, but words with two possible sets of double consonants can defeat me. I have to look them up, accommodate, embarrassed, tomorrow. I can't easily tell if they are correct or not.

Ariadne You only in pedants corner from time to time? Your're its mainstay!
wink

JessM Mon 17-Dec-12 07:10:42

I agree bags about the infoamality of the medium.
I'll take your word for it about the fun.

Bags Mon 17-Dec-12 06:30:40

I am a good speller and a good writer, but I make loads of mistakes on gransnet. So what? Gransnet is an informal medium. So long as comprehension is not affected, mistakes don,t amtter.

Ha! See what I mean?

Pedants' Corner is fun though smile

Ariadne Mon 17-Dec-12 05:55:55

And so am I celeb! I was an English teacher for over 30 years, and although I spent my life correcting grammar, spelling and punctuation, this is not the place to do it. Here, what people say is the most important thing!

Of course, it's different in, say, the media, where a common ground is needed.

I do get irritated by poor spelling etc in any context, but I suppose it's bred in the bone now. And I find myself being judgemental about the writer too. But if, on a forum such as this, the errors don't impede understanding, then so what?

I shall just chunter away from time to time in perdants' corner....

annodomini Sun 16-Dec-12 19:57:44

I'm with you there, celeb.

celebgran Sun 16-Dec-12 19:14:17

cant believe this is actually a thread about grammar and spelling mistakes!!

Surely the input is more valuable than how it is expressed?
lets not offend anyone because of such trivia!!

annodomini Sun 16-Dec-12 14:44:43

The spell check works on my laptop, Movedalot. This may make me look like a better typist than I really am.

jeni Sun 16-Dec-12 14:33:59

Cheelu when I see your name I am reminded of the Kipling novel Kim. When he becomes a chela = disciple to the llama!
smile

Movedalot Sun 16-Dec-12 14:27:01

I think many of us can spell better than we can type grin my brain doesn't always connect as far as my fingers! Perhaps that means people think I can't spell?

Jodi Sun 16-Dec-12 13:32:22

I think we sometimes forget that the forums are only part of GN. There are 8 headings up there and many of those have drop down menus too.

Imagine a new GNetter dropping into the DM thread at the height of its rudeness robustness. They'd be totally freaked out and might never look again. Or if they called into the Grotto ( or worse even better Lil's Bar) that could be equally scary for the sober-minded or faint-hearted hmm

Sel Sun 16-Dec-12 09:24:35

Hope you're right Jodi (I did see a post a little while back complaining about people who lurk, so it's good you've confessed grin)

There's a lot that's quite surprisingly good about GN, the warmth and compassion and the friendship for those who, perhaps are a little isolated for whatever reason. It's a commercial enterprise though which depends on numbers - we are Grandsnet - whoooo!

Jodi Sun 16-Dec-12 00:36:05

I've not been on GN very long sel though I did 'lurk' for a couple of weeks before posting, but I think I can see a bit of a change for the better. There are more people willing to stand up to the 'strident voices' and more people willing to intervene when things start to get nasty.

Sel Sun 16-Dec-12 00:23:49

CHEELU I've always thought your user name was so apt as I tend to read it as CHEERU and your posts are full of good cheer. You're also kind and supportive to everyone and, I would imagine, a lovely person.

I've also had my spelling mistakes pointed out which amused me no end. I think the last time that happened was in Junior school grin

London you know I love you grin

And, yes, there are some who try and bully which brings out the worst in me to the point of arguing black is white. I read a thread about intimidation when I first joined GN - I had no clue who was who and often still don't but it's obvious some people do still feel intimidated and that's sad. Pedantic superiority is also sad. Hey ho.

Jodi Sat 15-Dec-12 23:52:28

Faye wink

Faye Sat 15-Dec-12 23:38:18

I am an idiot sometimes. hmm

Ana Sat 15-Dec-12 22:47:16

I did notice, Faye, but it was funny - you're right, it's so easy to do! grin

Faye Sat 15-Dec-12 22:45:32

I should learn to spell Pedant and I promise I will write it out a hundred times. Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant, Pedant.........blush I have to laugh though, doesn't matter how much any of us think we can spell, most of us make spelling mistakes at some time.

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 22:26:13

Thank you Faye

CHEELU Sat 15-Dec-12 22:24:14

gracemum of coarse you did not do it deliberately and you are entitled to your opinion, please dont worry abt anything all is ok with me.......

Faye Sat 15-Dec-12 22:22:50

Cheelu. Being a Pendant does not mean a person is more interesting or insightful, it just means they are better at spelling and grammar. Keep posting, you have lots of interesting things to say. smile