Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anybody got any emotions?

(81 Posts)
Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 15:34:45

Anger, love, peace, acceptance, courageousness, pride, apathy, grief, fear, lust.

List of top level emotions that we have to come to terms with and sort out from time to time.

Do we blokes ever admit to creating these emotions from our feelings?
Do we admit to being in one or more of these conditions?
What helps us back into balanced states? Daman (or Keith)

whenim64 Mon 08-Oct-12 15:51:59

Yes, thanks! grin

absentgrana Mon 08-Oct-12 15:53:34

How do you create emotions from your feelings?

Bags Mon 08-Oct-12 16:01:13

Isn't feeling all those emotions during one's life what being balanced is all about?

kittylester Mon 08-Oct-12 16:05:38

Surely, it's all swings and roundabouts - sort of what Bags said. sunshine

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:07:40

absentgrana If you have a feeling in your foot say, you can choose how you respond to it eg be angry cus you dont want that feeling or happy cus it indicates you have a foot

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:11:02

Bags. I dont want to experience grief lust fear anger apathy. Are you saying its better for us if we do experience them?

soop Mon 08-Oct-12 17:12:33

Daman I shall need to sleep on that one. hmm

absentgrana Mon 08-Oct-12 17:14:22

Oh, you mean feeling as in sensation – I have pins and needles in my foot; not feeling as in instinctive reaction – I hate it when I have pins and needles in my foot. Why didn't you say so? Does anybody actively create emotions from their feelings, even with these definitions? I have pins and needles in my foot – shall I be pissed off, stoical, proud or ignore the whole thing and go for a bit of red-blooded lust?

Ana Mon 08-Oct-12 17:14:34

Of course it is. You can't choose not to experience those feelings, they're part of being human. You can choose how you react to them, though.

Ana Mon 08-Oct-12 17:15:58

(My post was in answer to Daman's last, of course!)

Greatnan Mon 08-Oct-12 17:19:16

My emotion at the moment is bewilderment.grin

soop Mon 08-Oct-12 17:21:44

Ditto Greatnan...thank goodness I'm not alone...wink

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 17:52:11

Ana says 'you choose how to react to them' absentgrana says I (choose to) hate it when I get pins and needles. She could choose to love it because it shows her blood is working.

Anyway I wanted the men in the shed to help me, as a bloke, to understand why we men generally dont show much positive emotion.

Grannyknot Mon 08-Oct-12 18:02:53

The other night in my singing group, we were singing 'Sunrise, sunset' from Fiddler on the Roof, and on singing "was this the little boy I carried, was this the little girl at play, I don't remember growing older, when did they?' to my total surprise I found I had tears running down my cheeks. Eek! Where'd that come from? So I guess you could say I was bewildered too.

Butternut Mon 08-Oct-12 18:07:19

Daman You did go all around the houses with your OP - just go to the shed and ask. grin

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 18:19:52

Butternut Ah! so I am in the wrong place. I thought 'Ask a Grandad' might help me. (By the way what is an OP - I only joined last Thursday).

Are they all in the Shed then? the men? I s'pose they could come out here if they wanted?

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 18:25:25

soop Last Saturday I bought my train ticket to the Scottish Storytelling Festival, I will wave to you sleeping as I pass.

Anne58 Mon 08-Oct-12 18:26:51

Daman , nothing wrong with a bit of lust!

Ana Mon 08-Oct-12 18:30:47

There aren't many men on the site, Daman - you'll just have to take your chances! You could try Lil's Bar where Pete and gramps hang out, but they can get a bit rowdy...hmm

Greatnan Mon 08-Oct-12 19:11:28

Grannyknot - I sympathise completely -'Sunrise, Sunset' and 'Turn around' bring me to tears too.

merlotgran Mon 08-Oct-12 19:21:41

Daman. My bloke shows plenty of positive emotion when his mates turn up to take him fishing.

absentgrana Mon 08-Oct-12 19:30:13

Daman Has it occurred to you that, in general, men are not embarrassed about showing and discussing their emotions to and with women, but may feel it's a bit non-macho when they are with the boys? I have many male friends and I think almost all of them are unafraid to reveal their emotions chez moi. Incidentally, I don't actually have pins and needles and I didn't actually choose anything emotion – it was just an example.

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 19:35:56

Oops! I misread this as emoticons!! blush confused However, having recovered from that it got me thinking about emotional intelligence
1.Perceiving emotions – the ability to detect and decipher emotions in faces, pictures, voices, and cultural artifacts—including the ability to identify one's own emotions. Perceiving emotions represents a basic aspect of emotional intelligence, as it makes all other processing of emotional information possible.
2.Using emotions – the ability to harness emotions to facilitate various cognitive activities, such as thinking and problem solving. The emotionally intelligent person can capitalize fully upon his or her changing moods in order to best fit the task at hand.
3.Understanding emotions – the ability to comprehend emotion language and to appreciate complicated relationships among emotions. For example, understanding emotions encompasses the ability to be sensitive to slight variations between emotions, and the ability to recognize and describe how emotions evolve over time.
4.Managing emotions - the ability to regulate emotions in both ourselves and in others. Therefore, the emotionally intelligent person can harness emotions, even negative ones, and manage them to achieve intended goals.
I respectfully submit that we women are still the superior sex in this direction.
So the question is not "Do you have any emotions," but "what do you do with them?"

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 19:51:01

"Bumping" this as I would love a response!!