Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Disparity between presents for DGC.

(30 Posts)
Jodi Sun 04-Nov-12 13:33:51

I think you need to boost her self confidence kitty. Could you not rave about how practical, cosy and what a lovely colour the socks are? Would it be OTT to say that you wish you'd thought of something so useful? wink

whenim64 Sun 04-Nov-12 13:33:07

Ignore them kitty. They obviously measure being a grandparent by how much you can spend, and need to take a look at what they contribute in terms of time and commtment, relative to what they can realistically do. My daughter's MIL doesn't have much money, but is able to support their young family in so many different ways. We both appreciate each other for our commitment to our grandchildren. She takes them for more walks, as she lives round the corner, and can pop in to babysit at short notice. I make baby meals, bring nappies, help with feeding, and so on. What on earth does how much money you spend on the present have to do with anyhing? The children decide what they like about their presents, anyway, and often it's the cardboard box it came in!

kittylester Sun 04-Nov-12 13:28:37

Thanks soop

I'm feeling a bit mean having posted. Thinking about it, she perhaps lacks imaginatio. How ever little you spend, there must be more interesting things for a four year old than socks.

soop Sun 04-Nov-12 13:18:50

Some people lack good manners...and I'm not referring to you and your husband. Ignore and wear a smile.

kittylester Sun 04-Nov-12 13:12:30

Dh and I are, dreadful expression coming up, comfortable in our retirement but the parents in law of our three daughters are not. Their husbands are all really nice men. Dh and I have a per person budget for birthdays and Christmas which we stick to fairly rigidly.

The problem comes with DD1's MiL who always announces to the room in general 'oh, I can't compete with that!' when presents are being opened

I am always really embarrassed but she seems to take great delight in drawing attention to the disparity. DGC will start to notice soon I fear. I should say that we get on quite well when we meet.

Should we say or do anything. We love to spoil the DGC at Christmas and birthdays but we are careful not to spoil them between times.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you ignore it? Did you change what you spent?