Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Getting a bit addicted to GN!!

(71 Posts)
cheelu Tue 01-Jan-13 18:16:27

Hi I seem to be spending hours on it, I sat at laptop for two hours on GN and it went soo quick..

cheelu Wed 02-Jan-13 23:55:43

PS This thread has made me feel normal as reading on here all the things that I do for eg hide the laptop out of sight or far away so have to make effort to get it--really we should feel lucky that we have GN instead of feeling bad, its just as everyone else has said Nothing else gets done!!!!!x x x

snailspeak Thu 03-Jan-13 20:45:33

Easy peasy - I confused Christmas with Lent and shut down on Christmas Eve and did not bother to login until 16.00 on Boxing Day. Did I miss it? No, absolutely not, but the 91 messages in my inbox proved that a lot of people have computer related OCD. A bit sad really but there again I am still busy catching up which is very frustrating but going through the deletes first I was able to identify lots of stuff that I consigned to spam, hopefully for ever, thus cutting down on time wasted looking like a moron at what I had never asked for in the first place.

New Year's Resolution in there somewhere and #1 will be deleting all spam and adding more to spam rather than just deleting it on a daily basis. Decidedly a good idea and the task is underway along with some surprisingly bright lifestyle changing ideas that I am already to attack. I shall be delighted not to be drawn to my laptop so often.

Jess M: You have got it in one! I hated all the MILs and DGs from the outset and while I understand some now I find them non-efficacious and élitist. Perhaps they should all be banned our Gransnet could publish a dictionary for gransnet beginners: "Getting Started On Gransnet" or "Gransnet Speak and Join the Clique". Sorry about last one but when I have mentioned that I had joined Gransnet, an awful lot of people had seen what I was seeing - the same names over and over again speaking a foreign language and, as I only check once or twice a day, the forum had stopped days earlier so they gave up never to return.

Perhaps a new forum could start at this point? Be interesting to see if this elicits any response.

Have a great 2013 everyone, despite the rant!

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 20:59:00

Well, snailspeak, if you click on Forums you'll see there is a section entitled 'Getting started' and there is also a list of Acronyms! I'm not a big fan of the acronyms myself, but it's just a way of shortening often-used words and phrases which helps those not so speedy at typing and you soon get used to them. I do remember you posting in the past and I hope you'll continue to drop in when you've the time - not everyone's on 24/7!

Nelliemoser Thu 03-Jan-13 21:01:23

I do have to avoid logging in too early in the day or I would never be off line. One of the problems is that if you miss even an hour or so, a conversation has moved on and it takes ages to pick up the thread.
How do most people read a thread is it from newest at the top or the other way around?
I do worry about staying on line due to some of the things I say about DH. I don't know if he knows who I am online.
Well he doesn't seem to know who I am in real life either but thats part of the problem. sad

glassortwo Thu 03-Jan-13 21:13:48

If I am in I have the laptop on all day and just check every so often to see what you are all up.
My theory is if I looked in once a day I would be here all night catching up so by being on GN so often I am conserving my time wink my version of time management.

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 21:19:15

I can only do it my way, Nelliemoser, which is by clicking on Active and just looking at the current threads. I have my preferences set at 50 posts per page so it doesn't take me long to scroll from 'last page' to where I last left the thread - but everyone has their own way! (Can't see the point of 'last hour' unless you only leave your PC for short periods - posts get missed that way).

janeainsworth Thu 03-Jan-13 21:22:16

I tend to be selective about the threads I read. If I get stuck into one, I like to read it all, but somp

Marelli Thu 03-Jan-13 21:23:10

glass, I do the same. My laptop is on all day, and I have a look every so often. I just think of it as having a conversation or listening in to the conversations of everyone else.

janeainsworth Thu 03-Jan-13 21:23:28

What happened there [embarrassed emoticon]
Some threads I don't bother with at all.

Ana Thu 03-Jan-13 21:23:40

Yes, I like somping too...wink

janeainsworth Thu 03-Jan-13 21:25:14

Ana grin
Really must get the washing up done now!

Nelliemoser Thu 03-Jan-13 23:16:24

Glass I like your justification for looking in regularly but I am not sure I believe that it saves time in the long run though! grin wink

snailspeak Fri 04-Jan-13 15:40:46

Thanks for information, Ana. I tend to dive into things and learn as I go along so never got around to going thoroughly through the getting started - remembering the Gransnet Smileys which I love to sprinkle around messages.

My big problem is that, after years of being stretched to my limits as far as time management and organisational skills were concerned, even having been retired for about two years now, I seem to have more to do than ever and slot in occasional requests for foreign translations from well known previous business contacts. I find this work very relaxing and enjoyable and don't do it for pin money but once I open a dictionary some sort of OCD clicks in and I start reading the damn dictionary - sad isn't it.

It's the same as Gransnet. It can become an addiction so I only ever look at it when a newsletter arrives and then I get hooked for two days. That's fine if you have the time but I don't and my beloved grumbles away when he thinks that I have been spending too much time on the laptop. It is none of his business, of course, but with him around full time I feel that I have to sneak off to my laptop and hope that he will not notice. I consider it his problem because, at the moment at least, he is at a loose end around now whereas, during the spring and summer he is off at the crack of dawn (almost) and spends hours on end at his allotment. I am lucky and can take myself off to my gym but, in an effort to manage my lifestyle better, I am looking to
re-allocating on a permanent basis so that instead of having three set days for the gym and a coffee with friends after wards, for example, I have decided that, come spring and summer, I shall go to the gym just twice a week and go the allotment on the freed up third day.

Hope that all makes sense. Once I start on something my brain goes into overdrive as in this case and I work away and hours can fly by in my misplaced determination to see the task or whatever through to the bitter end. Since be computer free (and newspaper free too) during a long hospital stay at the end of last year, gradually became used to my "loss" and now shut down around 8pm and don't have another peak until the next day. Previously, I would login about bedtime and land up going to bed in the wee small hours. Now I login whenever suits me in the day but only once or twice as a general rule.

If I have piles of computer work starting to get out of hand, I will state clearly to he whom it must be made clear grin what I am doing that day.
Usually, I write a short list of priorities before retiring to bed so that at least some housework etc gets done, and I factor in some reading time and some music time and it seems to be working.

Plugging into my i-pod on shuffle seems to focus me but it is amazing that that always seems to be the time when my husband feels the need to speak to me and he gets terribly annoyed - oh dear! My new schedule is evolving slowly and once I catch up with everything that seems to need doing all at once, I'll log on to Gransnet and contribute more to forums.

Ana - what is <<somping>> for goodness sake. Is that Gransnet speak also?
I have added to a few threads. The perfume/fragrance one I started went well for a day and seemed to fizzle out over the following day. Drat - shall have to have a peek at that forum.

Nellie Moser the problem is yours to sort out but perhaps you could decide upon planned, timely visits to the site so you are not up and down, so to speak. There is a huge problem keeping up with threads. I see loads of interesting ones by, the time I get around to them, people have moved on. Perhaps someone on that Gransnet team - hi, Geraldine - could have a look at instant automatic messaging when a member's username appears. I am told that it is easy enough and a three or four sites I use now do this.

This has not been checked through so apologies for errors or anything nonsensible. Reason = spent too long on the computer and having spent the morning at the gym, I have some urgent emailing to do like now!

Ella46 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:56:03

Phew.....I'm out of breath now grin

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 15:58:55

I read all of that!

Ana Fri 04-Jan-13 16:03:37

snailspeak you sound incredibly well-organised (not to mention self-disciplined) - I take my hat off to you! grin

My 'somp' post was just a jokey reply to Janeainsworth who'd obviously had computer trouble and ended one of her posts 'I like to read it all, but somp...'

Yes, it can be a problem keeping up with threads, which is my excuse for being on GN for far longer periods than I should be...wink I hope you'll find the time to visit more often this year.

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:08:38

snailspeak:

1. you need to learn two little words to deal with OH. They are 'go away' or other gentle phrases of the same ilk. If he continues to be a pain, ''eff off' (elongated version usually does the trick).

2. You may find quick little visits, but more often, work better than allocating special time. (you won't keep to that)

3. Don't take it too seriously. Just let it happen. smile

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:09:44

We really look forward to your posts. smile

gracesmum Fri 04-Jan-13 18:50:51

AIBU to feel somewhat put in my place, snailspeak?? "Gransnet speak and join the clique" - a bit harsh or what?

Medicationresearcher Fri 15-May-15 15:39:23

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.