Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Snoring

(37 Posts)
cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:40:55

How bad can it get--my son has to have a special machine on when he sleeps at night because of his snoring....(his partner asked him to go to Docs to sort it out..

loopylou Sat 13-Dec-14 13:43:32

Hear, hear! Gardenoma, best thing I ever did moving in to another bedroom too! Blissfully unaware of snoring and a space of my own to do just as I like, highly recommended! And I can hog the duvet too.....

Nandee Sat 13-Dec-14 12:37:54

I hate to admit it but a couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea - my long suffering husband had kind of got used to my snoring and me stopping breathing but I was feeling so tired I went to the GP.
It turned out after tests I was stopping breathing over 300 times a night.
I am overweight and am now trying to get fitter - to be honest I was too tired before to do much however at the sleep clinic there were people of all shapes and sizes.
I now have a CPAP machine and the constant air pressure keeps my throat open. My machine is very quiet and the mask just fits over my nose - it isn't attractive but it works! It does take some getting used to but the benefits outweigh the discomfort.
My cousin also has a CPAP machine and cannot get on with it and is going to see if she can get a different model like me.

gardenoma Mon 08-Dec-14 07:48:36

I retreated 3 years ago to the "spare". I still at times have to wear earplugs as his snoring goes straight thr the wall and it is a thick old wall, not one of those cardboard affairs. However the "spare" is my heaven, i redecorated in my style, i can read as late or as early as i like, i can even have a cup of tea with my kindle without annoyed grunts from DH, or -sins of sins- listen to the radio or text , phone or email at any time! Moving out of a shared bedroom is just the best thing i cld have done.
Why see it as a negative, i love my freedom and of course with it comes the decision to each clean our own!! DH now has his winter trainer bike in there, a car bike rack to hold all his bike gear, as he never liked duvets he has gone back to his one blanket with his dressing gown on top for when he gets chilly, which is hardly ever! Aestheticly pleasing it is not anylonger, and as for cleaning. .... ;-)) I just don't go there!

nannybev Sun 07-Dec-14 21:42:33

After over 40years of listening to my dear Husband snoring, we persuaded him to have an operation which claimed to solve the problem. It was the most painful thing ever but the result was wonderful for about 3 months when the uvula (the part that had previously lazered off) had grown back. So prompt action was taken to see a consultant at the sleep clinic, who fixed him up with a a mask and pump to wear at night which he has had for over a year 100% success. Highly recommended by ME!!

Nonu Sat 06-Dec-14 15:50:28

I snore sometimes, not loudly I am told.
Mr N can snore for England, but you know what, I somehow find it kind of reassuring that my MAN is laying besides me !
tchsmile

janerowena Fri 05-Dec-14 20:32:50

My father had sleep apnoea. He would be so tired that he would just fall asleep at the table. Needless to say, he had a stroke eventually. We complain about the NHS today, but when he first had it 40 years ago the doctors seemed to have no idea what was wrong with him. His snoring sounded as if someone was mowing with a large noisy mower in the same room.

babyjayne Fri 05-Dec-14 16:06:00

I have to wear a breathing machine as I have sleep aponea. I was told by the doctor that my heart stops and starts during the night and this was one of the reasons I was always tired. Aparently you never go into a deep sleep because of the condition. Butit was only found because I went to the doctor about my snoring. I presume if your son has this condition he should keep wearing his sleep mask

Fid Fri 05-Dec-14 14:42:12

I know how annoying snoring is and the rewards of having a spare bedroom to retreat to. Although, moving out of your warm bed into the cold is not a pleasurable thing to do.

However, I do reflect a lot, now he is no longer here...........Think on.

ajanela Fri 05-Dec-14 00:26:38

Snoring terrible, spent a lot of my time moving to the settee to get some sleep. Husband now has sleep apnoea machine and great improvement. Now he complains I snore! No comment.

vampirequeen Fri 05-Dec-14 00:02:21

I'm the snorer in our house. DH has a gentle steady breathing sound but I sound like an emphysemic navvy who's downed several pints of strong ale and passed out.

KatyK Thu 04-Dec-14 16:58:22

We went on holiday with my sister-in-law one year and we could hear her loud snoring through the wall. I had it in stereo that week.

pompa Thu 04-Dec-14 16:52:05

I would like to pint out that some of you ladies snore. Mrs. P snores, I am sleeping on my back, she usually turns son that she is snoring in my ear. A hefty push usually does the trick.

KatyK Thu 04-Dec-14 16:32:24

My DH is the loudest snorer ever. It is really unbelievable. Sometimes, if he goes to bed before me, I can hear the loud snoring through the ceiling even when I have the TV on. We have tried lots of remedies but nothing works. He is very slim. The spare room often calls.

janerowena Wed 03-Dec-14 22:47:44

On the way home tonight, DH suddenly asked why I ran my hand down his cheek during the night. I asked, 'Which time?'. He said, what do you mean? I replied that I do it gently several times a night, as he then turns his face away and his body usually follows. He was very quiet after that.

He isn't at all fat, he is very fit and slim, but as soon as he lies on his back the snoring starts.

ginny Wed 03-Dec-14 22:23:22

If these 'other halves' aren't willing to do something about the snoring then take yourself off to another room and get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure what this taboo is of couples admitting to not sleeping together (and I mean sleeping). If you are asleep, you are asleep nothing to stop you having a cuddle first.

angiebaby Wed 03-Dec-14 21:00:45

thanks everyone,,,,,,i just sleep in the backroom now,,,,,,trouble is i have just bought a new superking bed,,,he sleeps in it,,,! i dont get the chance,,,i tld him to go and sleep in the back room for a change,,,,,,,,,but he wont...........mmmmmmm D,,I,,V,,O,,R,,C,,E,,,,,,,, !!!!!!!!! AAAHHHHHH

Teetime Fri 07-Nov-14 13:36:55

angie that is very sad- I'm sorry you have this worry and have to struggle with broken sleep.flowers.

angiebaby Thu 06-Nov-14 20:30:18

my husband snores,,,its awfull everynight i have brocken sleep,,,i wake 2,,3,,0r 4 in the morning by the noise as iam a light sleeper, now i just get up and go and sleep in the guest room, its pure heaven in there in my double bed. although cold when i get into it from a nice warm bed,...he gets all his sleep but i dont,,,,,,i have asked him to get to the docs,,,,but no not him, selfish i say, !!! ......yes he is overweight,,,,i am careful what he eats but when i am not around i know he eats all the wrong things,,,,when he goes out i know he eats cakes and chocolates, he is a diabetic too, he wont listen, i have decided now,,,im just taking care of myself,........

grannyisland Thu 06-Nov-14 19:54:24

My OH tried a Cpap machine for his sleep apnoea but neither of us could sleep because of the noise of the pump! I now wear custom fit earplugs from Specsavers hearing dept - best money I ever spent! I would recommend them to anyone who can't sleep due to snoring or any other noise. I do worry about him falling asleep when driving.

Nelliemoser Wed 05-Nov-14 23:21:19

My OH does but since he sits up until late at night on the computer or such.

I got so fed up with him coming to bed freezing cold at about 4am and waking me up, he now sleeps in another room.

Deedaa Wed 05-Nov-14 20:29:04

One of the bigdangers of sleep apnoea is the exhausted sufferer falling asleep at the wheel with disastrous consequences. The same could happen to the sleep deprived partner.

FlicketyB Wed 05-Nov-14 16:20:39

Teetime DH also stopped snoring when he lost a couple of stone. Obviously won't help everybody, but if the snorer is overweight that could be the cure.

Teetime Wed 05-Nov-14 13:46:52

My sisters marriage is on the verge of breaking up due to her husbands snoring which sounds like a buzz saw. She is now so sleep deprived she can barely function without flying into a rage at the slightest provocation. He has been told to lose weight and it will improve but he is a little piggy at the trough. My DH stopped snoring when he lost a stone- only snores now when he has a cold as do I.

glassortwo Wed 05-Nov-14 12:24:16

reported

MartinRed Wed 05-Nov-14 12:22:22

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.