Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Snoring

(36 Posts)
cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:40:55

How bad can it get--my son has to have a special machine on when he sleeps at night because of his snoring....(his partner asked him to go to Docs to sort it out..

jeni Sun 13-Jan-13 15:44:40

Is he overweight?

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 15:49:08

No not over weight by lots maybe a stone and a bit, he is not fat though

jeni Sun 13-Jan-13 16:25:47

That can contribute to sleep apnea.

Notsogrand Sun 13-Jan-13 16:38:02

My brother in law, son in law and nephew all swear by the Snore Ring. Probably more accurate to say that their respective wives swear by it! It works on acu-pressure points apparently.....anyway, it works smile

www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Will-Snore-Medium-Large/dp/B0045XBZNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358094871&sr=8-1

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 17:27:27

Going to have my son speak to his doctoc to see if he can swap to the snor ring N but I think my sons snoring is more serious than normal snoring, at least this is what he has been told anyway THANK YOU very much for the info..

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 17:29:09

My other son says that it is nonsense that the Doc has told my older son that he could die from the snoring due to him stoping breathing, I am not sure what to think...

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 17:36:38

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sleep-apnoea/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Have you already seen this cheelu?

The danger seems to be from prolonged, untreated sleep apnoea causing other conditions.

cheelu Sun 13-Jan-13 17:48:44

nanaej just watched that nhs clip, it was really helpful..Thank you very much...my son has to wear that machine..the Dr on the clip said in itself it is not life threatening--I think thats what he said--but my sons Doctor told him that it was..

vampirequeen Mon 14-Jan-13 06:11:01

Sleep apnoea isn't dangerous in itself but it leaves the sufferer incredibly tired due to constant broken sleep.

petallus Mon 14-Jan-13 09:32:02

I would try the snore ring for DH except that would still leave the kicking and blood curdling yells.

MartinRed Wed 05-Nov-14 12:22:22

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glassortwo Wed 05-Nov-14 12:24:16

reported

Teetime Wed 05-Nov-14 13:46:52

My sisters marriage is on the verge of breaking up due to her husbands snoring which sounds like a buzz saw. She is now so sleep deprived she can barely function without flying into a rage at the slightest provocation. He has been told to lose weight and it will improve but he is a little piggy at the trough. My DH stopped snoring when he lost a stone- only snores now when he has a cold as do I.

FlicketyB Wed 05-Nov-14 16:20:39

Teetime DH also stopped snoring when he lost a couple of stone. Obviously won't help everybody, but if the snorer is overweight that could be the cure.

Deedaa Wed 05-Nov-14 20:29:04

One of the bigdangers of sleep apnoea is the exhausted sufferer falling asleep at the wheel with disastrous consequences. The same could happen to the sleep deprived partner.

Nelliemoser Wed 05-Nov-14 23:21:19

My OH does but since he sits up until late at night on the computer or such.

I got so fed up with him coming to bed freezing cold at about 4am and waking me up, he now sleeps in another room.

grannyisland Thu 06-Nov-14 19:54:24

My OH tried a Cpap machine for his sleep apnoea but neither of us could sleep because of the noise of the pump! I now wear custom fit earplugs from Specsavers hearing dept - best money I ever spent! I would recommend them to anyone who can't sleep due to snoring or any other noise. I do worry about him falling asleep when driving.

angiebaby Thu 06-Nov-14 20:30:18

my husband snores,,,its awfull everynight i have brocken sleep,,,i wake 2,,3,,0r 4 in the morning by the noise as iam a light sleeper, now i just get up and go and sleep in the guest room, its pure heaven in there in my double bed. although cold when i get into it from a nice warm bed,...he gets all his sleep but i dont,,,,,,i have asked him to get to the docs,,,,but no not him, selfish i say, !!! ......yes he is overweight,,,,i am careful what he eats but when i am not around i know he eats all the wrong things,,,,when he goes out i know he eats cakes and chocolates, he is a diabetic too, he wont listen, i have decided now,,,im just taking care of myself,........

Teetime Fri 07-Nov-14 13:36:55

angie that is very sad- I'm sorry you have this worry and have to struggle with broken sleep.flowers.

angiebaby Wed 03-Dec-14 21:00:45

thanks everyone,,,,,,i just sleep in the backroom now,,,,,,trouble is i have just bought a new superking bed,,,he sleeps in it,,,! i dont get the chance,,,i tld him to go and sleep in the back room for a change,,,,,,,,,but he wont...........mmmmmmm D,,I,,V,,O,,R,,C,,E,,,,,,,, !!!!!!!!! AAAHHHHHH

ginny Wed 03-Dec-14 22:23:22

If these 'other halves' aren't willing to do something about the snoring then take yourself off to another room and get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure what this taboo is of couples admitting to not sleeping together (and I mean sleeping). If you are asleep, you are asleep nothing to stop you having a cuddle first.

janerowena Wed 03-Dec-14 22:47:44

On the way home tonight, DH suddenly asked why I ran my hand down his cheek during the night. I asked, 'Which time?'. He said, what do you mean? I replied that I do it gently several times a night, as he then turns his face away and his body usually follows. He was very quiet after that.

He isn't at all fat, he is very fit and slim, but as soon as he lies on his back the snoring starts.

KatyK Thu 04-Dec-14 16:32:24

My DH is the loudest snorer ever. It is really unbelievable. Sometimes, if he goes to bed before me, I can hear the loud snoring through the ceiling even when I have the TV on. We have tried lots of remedies but nothing works. He is very slim. The spare room often calls.

pompa Thu 04-Dec-14 16:52:05

I would like to pint out that some of you ladies snore. Mrs. P snores, I am sleeping on my back, she usually turns son that she is snoring in my ear. A hefty push usually does the trick.