Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Fear of flying--is there a real cure

(35 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 15-Jan-13 18:05:03

Good luck (being in the age group and gender most addicted to tranquillisers) with getting them off your GP! Every time I fly long haul my requests have been refused. You will have to buy them on the street. And/or let me know which GP is prescribing!

Anyway so then I just committed to it, thought what the heck. I never ever sit near a window and I read furiously during take off and landing. I must admit I'm not terrified though, just slightly anxious.

merlotgran Tue 15-Jan-13 17:58:38

My daughter used to be scared of flying but was determined to overcome it because she didn't want to miss any opportunities that might come her way. She went on holidays that only required a short flight (with the help of Rescue Remedy) and made sure she was with confident, supportive people. When she married she lived in Northern Ireland for nine years so became used to the hour long flight from Belfast to Stansted. Last year she holidayed in the Maldives which was a real triumph for her.

Worrying about the flight will make it worse, Cheelu. Remember you are not alone. Millions of people hate flying and the Fear of Flying courses are very good.

Granny23 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:57:45

Jings is right - a couple of valium before flights and you might sleep or even enjoy them. DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL grin

JessM Tue 15-Jan-13 17:51:08

Find a really good hypnotherapist.

Stansgran Tue 15-Jan-13 17:50:01

Or plan a cruise to coincide!

j07 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:49:18

with the tabs that is

j07 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:48:55

You will probably enjoy the whole trip even more too. smile

j07 Tue 15-Jan-13 17:47:32

You can get some calmng down tablets from the doctor. Just a few days supply.

My daughter did a 'fear of flying' course with BA. It worked well.

Ariadne Tue 15-Jan-13 17:46:55

No.

cheelu Tue 15-Jan-13 17:45:40

I hate flying because I am chlostraphobic and my son has just told us, he is getting married in Malta....what am I gonna do..........

His girlfriend has said to him how will your Mum make the wedding and he told her that I would not miss the wedding and so it will do me good to be forced to face my fears---I obviously don't agree..and I dont want to face my fears at all..